Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'd just squish every expansion. Every old expansion gets added to the 10-50 bracket and newest expansion is 50-60.

In the end, leveling isn't progression anymore - it's just a way to tell the new story to players and introduce them to the new system an expansion brings. The real game starts at level cap.

So it's just more consistent to have all scaled back to current system. In the end level cap is just a number, and having it higher only means you have to fill up those level with meaningful stuff otherwise they'd feel just empty.
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2021-12-12 at 07:26 PM.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Squish Shadowlands down to 10-50 to replace Battle for Azeroth as the default new player experience?
    I honestly wouldnt mind playing the next expansion worrying only about Renown/AP level instead of character level, doing the whole thing at Level 60
    I'm also of the idea that Renown/AP has been introduced to ease us into a leveling progress that isn't attached to Player Level.

The idea of them squishing 120 to 50, for us to level once more to 60 felt like it was supposed to be the last time we go through that, to me anyhow.
    60 just has that prestige to it at this point we can all agree feels cozy? Maybe it was just me, but seeing level 100's during WoD just felt out of place in WoW.

I think right now that Shadowlands will be made as a Chromie Time option, and Chromie Time as a whole will officially be scaled up from 10-50 to 10-60.
    DRAGONMIRE BINGO
    2024 - 11.0 - The 10th Expansion - The 20th Anniversary of World of Warcraft
    For Azeroth!

10+ Year Old Account
    60-65 and/or a new progression system that borrows from Renown. 10 levels is a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I'd just squish every expansion. Every old expansion gets added to the 10-50 bracket and newest expansion is 50-60.

In the end, leveling isn't progression anymore - it's just a way to tell the new story to players and introduce them to the new system an expansion brings. The real game starts at level cap.

So it's just more consistent to have all scaled back to current system. In the end level cap is just a number, and having it higher only means you have to fill up those level with meaningful stuff otherwise they'd feel just empty.
    Yeah I gotta agree with this. At this point leveling serve no major purpose in the game anymore. I dont want it removed cause I do like leveling up and all that, but just reset it back to how it was when SL launched.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Xaxxas View Post
    I'm also of the idea that Renown/AP has been introduced to ease us into a leveling progress that isn't attached to Player Level.

The idea of them squishing 120 to 50, for us to level once more to 60 felt like it was supposed to be the last time we go through that, to me anyhow.
    60 just has that prestige to it at this point we can all agree feels cozy? Maybe it was just me, but seeing level 100's during WoD just felt out of place in WoW.

I think right now that Shadowlands will be made as a Chromie Time option, and Chromie Time as a whole will officially be scaled up from 10-50 to 10-60.
    YEah I can see this coming to, something like the renown system. Battlepass inc!

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    It's either become weaker as you level, or be forced to farm last expansion content for gear, or have gear become basically meaningless because you'll have way too many stats
    Pick one, there is no alternative

Last expansion content for gear is actually a cool concept, I am all up for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    60-70

Because, don't fix what's not broken, really.

WoW has various issues, but leveling experience in new expansion is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    60-70

Because, don't fix what's not broken, really.

WoW has various issues, but leveling experience in new expansion is not one of them.

It didn't have problems during BC-era. But it DID lead to problems down the line which Blizzard still hasn't managed to solve. Gaining levels today doesn't mean getting new skills, it's meant to time your story progression. If Blizzard will use the same type of story-telling in 10.0 as in SL, there needs to be some changes because players hated the game telling them to slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by Thraenduil View Post
    It didn't have problems during BC-era. But it DID lead to problems down the line which Blizzard still hasn't managed to solve. Gaining levels today doesn't mean getting new skills, it's meant to time your story progression. If Blizzard will use the same type of story-telling in 10.0 as in SL, there needs to be some changes because players hated the game telling them to slow down.
    You do realize one of the reasons they squished to 60 was so that you would get more new skills more frequently, right? And they absolutely can (but probably won't) add new skills to 10.0 so that the 60-70 experience feels just as rewarding as the 10-50 experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    Last expansion content for gear is actually a cool concept, I am all up for it.
    Didn't you like... hate Classic WoW or something when it was first announced? This concept sounds like a very "Classic WoW" concept to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    The same exact way it is now. Everyone is pushed down to 50 again, SL becomes level 1-49 and the next expac takes us to 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    But one of the main issues before was that we went multiple levels without receiving anything and it was unsatisfying. Why do we want to move towards that again?
    Are you telling me it is impossible to add rewards at later levels? Because they actually did that all the way to 110 the last time. People can handle raising the cap until 100 and then back to 50. Putting everyone back to 50 is incredibly dumb as it makes everything you did before pointless not to mention it is going to make legacy buffs and squishing even worse.
    Last edited by rrayy; 2021-12-12 at 10:34 PM.

Old expansions getting merged into the 11-50 cluster and keeping the current expansion as the 51-60 -- would be my way to go.

I hope they squish it again. We're going to level another ten levels at the start of the expac, I'd prefer going 50 to 60 again rather than continuing to 70 (unless we're going to Outland, of course - gotta be 70 in Outland.)

Default levelling experience should still be BfA, unless they remake Azeroth and make an entirely new 10-50. Which would be great. But I can't quite believe they have the resources for that AND for making a compelling new 10 levels that take existing characters to the new max level.

Either way Shadowlands should be Chromie Timed and also be the default levelling experience for the new Covenant Allied Races they should release.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Are you telling me it is impossible to add rewards at later levels? Because they actually did that all the way to 110 the last time. People can handle raising the cap until 100 and then back to 50. Putting everyone back to 50 is incredibly dumb as it makes everything you did before pointless not to mention it is going to make legacy buffs and squishing even worse.
    I didn’t say we should put people back to 50, but I don’t think going to 70 is a better solution. There’s just as many problems.

Most of the problems inherent with leveling, at least, the ones that I had with leveling, have been fixed with Chromie Time. At this point, Blizzard can go back to raising the level cap, though I imagine they won't let it go all the way back up to 120 before squishing again. Maybe at 100 this time.

At the same time, I don't see why they couldn't squish every expansion either, and have 60 be the level cap for WoW, with each new expansion sending us back to 50. But I feel as though that would just feel bad as a player. We already bitch and moan and pitch a fit every time an expansion ends and its systems become obsolete in favor of the new expansion's systems. Imagine the tears this forum would cry if Blizzard one-upped borrowed power with borrowed levels.

Quote Originally Posted by CalamityHeart View Post
    Most of the problems inherent with leveling, at least, the ones that I had with leveling, have been fixed with Chromie Time. At this point, Blizzard can go back to raising the level cap, though I imagine they won't let it go all the way back up to 120 before squishing again. Maybe at 100 this time.

At the same time, I don't see why they couldn't squish every expansion either, and have 60 be the level cap for WoW, with each new expansion sending us back to 50. But I feel as though that would just feel bad as a player. We already bitch and moan and pitch a fit every time an expansion ends and its systems become obsolete in favor of the new expansion's systems. Imagine the tears this forum would cry if Blizzard one-upped borrowed power with borrowed levels.
    It'll be Weirdchamp with Classic continuing to go up in levels while retail stays at 60. Not a huge issue as I'm sure everybody understands the two games provide different experiences but still kinda strange.

Here's an idea. Do it like FFXIV! Just squish the numbers but keep raising the level. Add new abilities every couple of levels for players to tinker with and feel like they've earned something. Actually that being said I would scrap the whole talent system now and just give players talents /abilities automatically and then the Talents could just be for tweaking your abilities. Eg, if you want to have more AoE by picking certain talents you could have that. Want to focus more on bleeds, well we have talent choices for that too. Want to be more stealthy, tanky, DoT-Heavy ? It can all be done with talents but giving players every few levels new or different skill ability choices feels more meaningful. Also you could add passives on some levels that change the way that a certain skill works.

for the love of Azeroth, i hope they don't the back to 50 got 60 thing, would be the dumbest thing ever. The Squish was bad enough. they could introduce another system like ESO does, or something but no more squishing me back down.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think they will squish again, but there is a problem going forward. They need to create progression without constantly adding 10 levels.

I suggest using something like the artifact system. Remember how we got AP through questing and unlocked abilities and perks? Imagine that again. The AP functions like experience, the perks like new abilities, and it's faction specific. It achieves progression but is its own set of levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akhlys View Post
    Once upon a time, boats were full of leaks. Now, our leaks are full of boats.

Quote Originally Posted by CalamityHeart View Post

Shadowlands as a concept actually allows them to remove all skills we got there since they are connected to covenants and soulbinds. And because we were on another plane of existence, our characters could be said to return to Azeroth as we were when entering. We didn't get stronger in SL, so we can go back to "new lvl 50"- stage of strength we had in the end of BFA.
    But, our experiences in SL allowed our characters to look deep inside their souls, finding new skills and abilities to be used in the new expansion. And since these skills are our own, they can't be taken away.( i hope).
    Could they cook something like this?