Poll: Allow levelnig in classic, then transfer to retail as an option.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    What a pointless poll. Not only is it biased because two out of the three options are yes, it's on a subject which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Retail and Classic are two entirely different games, they do not need to interact with one another in any way, shape or form.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    As long as unobtainable items are not tranferred with it... why not...
    Or stuff like scarab lord. These things should NOT be transferrable.
    There's only a small handful of unobtainable items from vanilla (particularly once you remove the ones that have identical models still obtainable), and most of them both A) look like absolute shit because they're from Vanilla, and B) aren't even readily recognizable as being some exclusive thing unless you are part of the insignificant fraction of the playerbase who knows what those particular items are and look like, so it's a pretty silly thing to worry about.

    Like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Because
    (1) You diminish the prestige of those items on Retail, there's a reason why unobtainable items aren't showing up in any collection.
    There's already zero prestige except in the heads of the people holding on to those items. It's a weird narrative people make up to pat themselves on the back, like people who want transmog to go away beacuse they think anyone has been impressed with seeing someone in raid gear after 2005.

    99% of the playerbase passes by someone an Ancient Frostsaber and do not even register the mount. Of the 1% who do happen to even notice there is a mount there they don't see often, 90% will not know off-hand that it is an unobtainable mount and will just think "Man, those old cat models are really ugly", or "I wonder if that's a brand new player or they just really like their old mounts".

    Of 0.1% of the players who both notice the mount and also know it's unobtainable, most are not going to find it prestigious, they're just going to go "Oh, an Ancient Frostsaber, haven't seen someone on one those in a while." It's novelty, not prestige. They won't even note the name of the player, people don't even note the name of a Scarab Lord they happen to pass by. And unless they're already someone obsessed with unobtainable items, they don't even get the "man I wish I had that" feeling, because the mount looks like ass.

    The "prestige" is just some weird circlejerk happening solely in the head of the kind of people who sit on a mount like that in a city going "Did that player notice me!? Oh that player clicked on me, I bet they're impressed with my mount! Did that player just stop for a second?! That's right, I'm on an Ancient Frostsaber! Of course you'd be shocked!"

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    There's only a small handful of unobtainable items from vanilla (particularly once you remove the ones that have identical models still obtainable), and most of them both A) look like absolute shit because they're from Vanilla, and B) aren't even readily recognizable as being some exclusive thing unless you are part of the insignificant fraction of the playerbase who knows what those particular items are and look like, so it's a pretty silly thing to worry about.

    Like this:

    There's already zero prestige except in the heads of the people holding on to those items. It's a weird narrative people make up to pat themselves on the back, like people who want transmog to go away beacuse they think anyone has been impressed with seeing someone in raid gear after 2005.

    99% of the playerbase passes by someone an Ancient Frostsaber and do not even register the mount. Of the 1% who do happen to even notice there is a mount there they don't see often, 90% will not know off-hand that it is an unobtainable mount and will just think "Man, those old cat models are really ugly", or "I wonder if that's a brand new player or they just really like their old mounts".

    Of 0.1% of the players who both notice the mount and also know it's unobtainable, most are not going to find it prestigious, they're just going to go "Oh, an Ancient Frostsaber, haven't seen someone on one those in a while." It's novelty, not prestige. They won't even note the name of the player, people don't even note the name of a Scarab Lord they happen to pass by. And unless they're already someone obsessed with unobtainable items, they don't even get the "man I wish I had that" feeling, because the mount looks like ass.

    The "prestige" is just some weird circlejerk happening solely in the head of the kind of people who sit on a mount like that in a city going "Did that player notice me!? Oh that player clicked on me, I bet they're impressed with my mount! Did that player just stop for a second?! That's right, I'm on an Ancient Frostsaber! Of course you'd be shocked!"
    Doesn't matter. Prestige is prestige. People went through the effort and sometimes payed millions of gold for completly nondescript items.
    Introducing items that are not available ingame from a basically different game is bad.
    The zulian tiger for example. If you want stuff like that the BMAH is there for you

  4. #24
    Sounds good, I’d go one step further and allow items to carry over. Earn glad in tbc? Cool, if u bring the char over u have it in retail.

    Obv controversial, but I’d want it.
    Last edited by Zypherz; 2021-12-14 at 05:00 PM.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    Sounds good, I’d go one step further and allow items to carry over. Earn glad in tbc? Cool, if u bring the chat over u have it in retail.

    Obv controversial, but I’d want it.
    There's already an issue with fresh level 60s having no fucking idea how to play their characters. Something like this would just make fresh level 60 players even more lost. This is a terrible, awful very bad idea that fails the moment you think about it for more than five seconds.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Doesn't matter. Prestige is prestige. People went through the effort and sometimes payed millions of gold for completly nondescript items.
    The zulian tiger for example. If you want stuff like that the BMAH is there for you
    No? I just explained exactly why there isn't prestige.
    noun
    widespread respect and admiration felt for someone or something on the basis of a perception of their achievements or quality.
    You seem to be confusing rarity with prestige.
    Introducing items that are not available ingame from a basically different game is bad.
    It isn't "bad". There are just people who don't want it. Those are two different things.

    The zulian tiger for example. If you want stuff like that the BMAH is there for you
    I don't. It looks like shit compared to the MoP tigers and later sabers.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    There's already an issue with fresh level 60s having no fucking idea how to play their characters. Something like this would just make fresh level 60 players even more lost. This is a terrible, awful very bad idea that fails the moment you think about it for more than five seconds.
    I’d be happy for just the items to carry over. I also don’t think players sucking more is much of a point when, frankly, most players don’t really care about being good.

    I don’t see how a player that levelled to 60 in classic would somehow be worse than someone getting a boost. I know which one i consider an actual problem…
    Last edited by Zypherz; 2021-12-14 at 05:10 PM.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    There's already zero prestige except in the heads of the people holding on to those items.
    I don't have Scarab Lord and i still think it's prestigeous.

    After all, it's one of the rarest mounts / titles in the entire game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    It's a weird narrative people make up to pat themselves on the back
    It's actually pretty basic psychology, because the concept of prestige in owning a rare item isn't unique to video games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    99% of the playerbase passes by someone an Ancient Frostsaber and do not even register the mount. Of the 1% who do happen to even notice there is a mount there they don't see often, 90% will not know off-hand that it is an unobtainable mount and will just think "Man, those old cat models are really ugly", or "I wonder if that's a brand new player or they just really like their old mounts".
    So, if most people aren't bothered to use the mount anyway "because it's ugly", why take that joy away from those few that own them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Of 0.1% of the players who both notice the mount and also know it's unobtainable
    80% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

    Please, if you don't grasp the concept of prestige, that's okay, but at least accept the fact that it matters to other people and don't pretend those are some insignificant minority because it suits your argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    Sounds good, I’d go one step further and allow items to carry over. Earn glad in tbc? Cool, if u bring the char over u have it in retail.

    Obv controversial, but I’d want it.
    Sure, this isn't going to somehow further promote RMT in TBCC Arena.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Please, if you don't grasp the concept of prestige, that's okay, but at least accept the fact that it matters to other people and don't pretend those are some insignificant minority because it suits your argument.
    If you don't know the basic definition of prestige, that's okay. But at least stop wrongly using the word to stroke your own ego. I don't need to pretend they are an insignificant minority, it's readily apparent just from how few people even know those items exist.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    I’d be happy for just the items to carry over. I also don’t think players sucking more is much of a point when, frankly, most players don’t really care about being good.

    I don’t see how a player that levelled to 60 in classic would somehow be worse than someone getting a boost.
    It's twice as bad. A boosted player needs to learn how to play their character. A player who's spent hundreds of hours playing an entirely different version of the same character now has to unlearn all the muscle memory from their current character so they can relearn an entirely different one. There's also the very real possibility somebody will transfer their toon and realize they absolutely fucking hate the way their character plays and promptly quit the game altogether.

    This idea is offensively bad.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    It's twice as bad. A boosted player needs to learn how to play their character. A player who's spent hundreds of hours playing an entirely different version of the same character now has to unlearn all the muscle memory from their current character so they can relearn an entirely different one. There's also the very real possibility somebody will transfer their toon and realize they absolutely fucking hate the way their character plays and promptly quit the game altogether.

    This idea is offensively bad.
    It’s absolutely crazy how polarising our opinions on what are issues for the game.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    It’s absolutely crazy how polarising our opinions on what are issues for the game.
    Turns out I'm pretty against ideas which make the game objectively worse for no reason.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Turns out I'm pretty against ideas which make the game objectively worse for no reason.
    Like the WoW token? Ima yeet out of here before I get in trouble.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    Like the WoW token? Ima yeet out of here before I get in trouble.
    If you think Chinese gold farmers spamming 24/7 was objectively better for the game then you're absolutely correct, there's very little you and I will agree on.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    If you think Chinese gold farmers spamming 24/7 was objectively better for the game then you're absolutely correct, there's very little you and I will agree on.
    I guess so.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    If you don't know the basic definition of prestige, that's okay.
    Those items are prestigeous to a lot of people, simply because you want to pretend they're not, doesn't change it.
    Anything that is rare and sought after is effectively prestigeous, if nobody wanted to have these items, then the entire debate would already stop right there because nobody would pursue them anyway.
    Which in the case of something like Scarab lord is objectively false, as seen in Classic, where quite a lot of Servers had their own drama surrounding the Scarab lord title.

    This whole "It's not prestigeous to me, thus anyone who thinks they're prestigeous is wrong" argument is just so close minded.

  17. #37
    The Lightbringer Battlebeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,071
    Would love it, it would mean I get Corrupted Ashbringer in retail

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    People saying no are either missing the point entirely, or are plain toxic, at this stage. Sorry to tell :/

    I mean, it would have 0 impact on your gaming experience, but it adds new possibilities to other people. And, actually, brings the genuine experience a little bit closer.
    Not a personal attack friend, but there are way too many intelligent responses in this thread for you to be legitimately ignoring them.

    Here's a shopping list (not even complete), the boosters/retail tourists/account sellers, would love to have, and back to fucking retail they go.

    <Scarab Lord> title - unobtainable
    Scarab Lord mount - unobtainable
    Zul'gurub mount - questionable
    All T3 sets - questionable

    Realm First Raider/FOS

    <Obsidian Slayer> tittle - unobtainable
    <The Magic Seeker> tittle - unobtainable
    <Conqueror of Naxxramas> tittle - unobtainable
    <Death's Demise> tittle - unobtainable
    <The Celestial Defender> tittle - unobtainable
    <Grand Crusader> tittle - unobtainable

    And every other expansion beyond that.

    Inviting boosters and retail approval seekers, you are possibly denying an opportunity for normal players to compete for these extremely prestigious rewards. There goes the broken hearts for people who trusted and played together.

  19. #39
    No.

    Reason: you will be able to get unobtainable titles/mogs for retail.

    These things should always stay legacy for the cool factor.
    All my ignores are permanently filtered out and invisible to me. Responding to my posts with nonsense or insults is pointless, you're likely already invisible and if not - 3 clicks away. One ignore is much better than 3 pages of trolling.

  20. #40
    It'd be easier to just add a timewalking version of the two pre-cata continents and have that be another optional Chromie Time leveling bracket, complete with its own timewalking instance lineup. I'd be all for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    Sylvanas will just give her own head to Tyrande.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    And just like the thread before it, let's back away from sexualizing Azshara and return to the original topic at hand.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •