Poll: Allow levelnig in classic, then transfer to retail as an option.

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Level in classic >transfer to retail?

Wouldn´t it be nice if...

You get to level a character in any classic to level cap, then you can transfer that character to retail to do the actual end game.
    To make it work flawless and fairly, there could be a few basic rules. Mounts, gear or no longer obtainable items are a big factor, so ignore them for a second (that would ofc be sorted somehow).

It hurts none but it adds an extra play style option to the game

------
    The point is:

Leveling back then was so much better for many of us. You did get to become one with your character, it was a very personal and immersive experience and you got the chance to explore every detail of Azeroth in much more depth than todays experience. Doing dungeons felt like actually doing dungeons, rather than rushing them for quick xp.

There could be realms dedicated for this, maybe 1 is enough. So people on those realms are exclusively there to level up... easier life finding groups and help.

I know that many people feel the same way, but the problem is end game. We did it so much back then.. I don´t see the point doing it again. Leveling is different as it takes far longer and is far more diverse as well as you progress a character.
    Last edited by shise; 2021-12-14 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    The point is:

Leveling back them was so much better for many of us. You did get to become one with your character, it was a very personal and immersive experience and you got the chance to explore every detail of Azeroth in much more depth than todays experience. Doing dungeons felt like actually doing dungeons, rather than rushing them for quick xp.

I know that many people feel the same way, but the problem is end game. We did it so much back then.. I don´t see the point doing it again. Leveling is different as it takes far longer and is far more diverse as well as you progress a character.

You get to level a character in any classic to level cap, then you can transfer that character to retail to do the actual end game.
    To make it works flawless and fair, there could be a few basic rules: No gold/items transfer. Mounts, pets and weapons/equipment would need a proper dialog aside, of course.

I sure know a bunch who´d love that, and I am one.
    This is simply adding an extra option to the game and should not affect anyone who would not want to experience it.
    Sure, why not. Blizzard will never say no to a new way of making money. What's the current server transfer fee? 35$? I could see Blizzard wanting a piece of that.

I would try this for sure. Would be a fun idea to explore.

No for pretty much the reason you gave of it would allow people to get tmog sets/mounts on classic, and then import them to retail. And if nothing transferred over; mounts, and tmog, it would be redundant, because leveling on retail is easier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Sure, why not. Blizzard will never say no to a new way of making money. What's the current server transfer fee? 35$? I could see Blizzard wanting a piece of that.
    That is a positive thing for them to make it happen and a win win scenario.

A low transfer fee like 25/35 dollars, but you get a well worth it experience too. Having a fee would probably be the only way they would put an effort into it, so you gotta see it as a possitive now a days :/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    No for pretty much the reason you gave of it would allow people to get tmog sets/mounts on classic, and then import them to retail. And if nothing transferred over; mounts, and tmog, it would be redundant, because leveling on retail is easier.
    I said that this is another topic. Limitations can be applied: for example, no longer obtainable items can not be transferred to retail. But I am trying to leave this aside, as it is obviously the biggest factor. But again, pretty easy to solve.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Also note that leveling in retail being easier is not a good thing for the many of us who would rather the old experience. That is part of this idea´s point

Many don´t like leveling or want it quicker/easier. But many of us want it to be a heavier part of the game.
    So hey, adding the option doesn´t hurt either side It just makes the game a bit more rich in playstyle options, which I can´t never see as a bad thing.

I like the idea, classic people would be able to think of playing retail once they're bored too without having to level up again.
    And Blizzard makes money. So I mean, why not?

Regarding what someone said about obtaining unobtainable items, why not? It would be an incentive for collectors to try on classic if they haven't, keeping those servers alive for longer as well.

Make sure you send this on the suggestions option in-game.

I can't see any legitimate reason to be against this if unobtainable items didn't transfer over (provided it only had a small impact on development resources - though likely if there was demand for this, the profit made from the transfer would beget the resources). Also even if unobtainable items did transfer, I wouldn't be against it - but I see why some people might not like that so as you say, its a discussion for another day. I wouldn't touch it in a million years, but if they added for the players who wanted it that's cool.

A few points which people might raise:

- this has to be a one way trip. AFAIK there aren't any irreversible services offered right now. Might be some difficulties in some countries with consumer contract law there. If that were an issue, (and it wouldn't in the two jurisdictions I'm qualified to speak about), it could still be overcome through technical solutions
    - the usual parochial complaints about it being hard to enough to find people to x content in x old version as it is without people being allowed to bail for retail (this is a nonsense to me - it takes about 8 hours to level a character in retail - that's not what's stopping people)
    - is there enough demand to justify whatever resources would be spent on it? (again another non-point - the resources would hypothecated proportionally to the revenue brought in by the service)
    - blizz cahs garb!111!!

That is a positive thing for them to make it happen and a win win scenario.

A low transfer fee like 25/35 dollars, but you get a well worth it experience too. Having a fee would probably be the only way they would put an effort into it, so you gotta see it as a possitive now a days :/

- - - Updated - - -

I said that this is another topic. Limitations can be applied: for example, no longer obtainable items can not be transferred to retail. But I am trying to leave this aside, as it is obviously the biggest factor. But again, pretty easy to solve.

- - - Updated - - -

Also note that leveling in retail being easier is not a good thing for the many of us who would rather the old experience. That is part of this idea´s point

Many don´t like leveling or want it quicker/easier. But many of us want it to be a heavier part of the game.
    So hey, adding the option doesn´t hurt either side It just makes the game a bit more rich in playstyle options, which I can´t never see as a bad thing.
    I mean if you want a slower leveling experience, and then want to have to pay 25$ to transfer a character to retail all the power to you. Most people aren't masochists though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by javierdsv View Post
    I like the idea, classic people would be able to think of playing retail once they're bored too without having to level up again.
    And Blizzard makes money. So I mean, why not?

Regarding what someone said about obtaining unobtainable items, why not? It would be an incentive for collectors to try on classic if they haven't, keeping those servers alive for longer as well.

Make sure you send this on the suggestions option in-game.
    Classic is fine. It has just as many players, if not more than retail. Currently on Twitch, 6 of the top 10 streams by viewer count are Classic players.

The scarabs and wrath realm first rejoice. Rite?

Quote Originally Posted by javierdsv View Post
    Because
    (1) You diminish the prestige of those items on Retail, there's a reason why unobtainable items aren't showing up in any collection.
    (2) Having to deal with players that aren't playing Classic because the enjoy it, but because they're after ZG Mounts / Scarab Lord, isn't exactly fun for the rest or leads to a lot of drama

Especially on (2), imagine a guy drops out of the raid the second they get a specific item, or the drama involving Scarab Lord will be X times higher when suddenly a bunch of Retail collectors come over and want to have their shot at Scarab lord.

It's not something I would do but the more options the better as far as I'm concerned.

As long as unobtainable items are not tranferred with it... why not...
    Or stuff like scarab lord. These things should NOT be transferrable.

well, 60 in classic is not really the same as 60 in retail.

The talent tree, the skills (which you just spent an elongated amount of time developing habits with), the stats on items, etc... how does the game convert over, and how does the player??

If you want to level the "old way", that is what the various classic servers are for. If you want to play current end game, that is what retail is for.

Unless you are suggesting the transfer is also free, just level for free on classic, and boost a new toon on retail, and do both for the same cost.....

10+ Year Old Account
    So far as it's worked out they want to keep the games completely separate apart from the occasional cross-promotion. They should stick with that and ignore this idea altogether.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I would like it if Classic xmog acquisition was somehow copied over to Retail, but that's an entirely self-serving thing on my part as I'm an unrepentant xmog collector. Beyond that, I would agree that Classic and Retail should be kept as separate as possible.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

I think it's a good option but I strongly believe all pre cata zones and content need to be imported back into retail as leveling options.

I don't see why things like mounts & transmogs shouldn't carry over. The majority of people you see with a Scarab Lord title/Black battletank nowadays just did the realm transfer trick at the start of Wrath anyway, so if anything, the folks doing it on Classic have earned it more.

Only thing I wouldn't carry over is arena titles.

Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    I think it's a good option but I strongly believe all pre cata zones and content need to be imported back into retail as leveling options.
    Oof, I'd love this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I would like it if Classic xmog acquisition was somehow copied over to Retail, but that's an entirely self-serving thing on my part as I'm an unrepentant xmog collector. Beyond that, I would agree that Classic and Retail should be kept as separate as possible.
    Yeah, this could be done by returning the content that had been cut from the game through time walking zones.

To make it work flawless and fairly, there could be a few basic rules. Mounts, gear or no longer obtainable items are a big factor, so ignore them for a second (that would ofc be sorted somehow).
    VANILLA stuff is not even available with Classic WoW so who really cares.

Some T3 pieces without having to gold cap each part at the BMAH or the rarity with naxx weapons could make some waves from the mog collectors.

But my question would be, whats the point?

People choose classic because they could not perform/deal with retails performance driven commuity in the first place. If retail game mechanics are to demanding and the communuty standards are to high for the typical classic player, whats the point of migrating?

The very least I would want from new players or those who choose Classic is a propper leveling experience (first char) under Retail rulesets.
    Endgame with a full wave of "Classic boosted" noobs is the last thing on my wishlist.

Instead of having to use R.IO as a baseline, people would start to use the C-addon for a CLOWN filter.
    Last edited by Ange; 2021-12-14 at 02:40 PM.
    -

10+ Year Old Account
    People saying no are either missing the point entirely, or are plain toxic, at this stage. Sorry to tell :/

I mean, it would have 0 impact on your gaming experience, but it adds new possibilities to other people. And, actually, brings the genuine experience a little bit closer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    VANILLA stuff is not even available with Classic WoW so who really cares.

Some T3 pieces without having to gold cap each part at the BMAH or the rarity with naxx weapons could make some waves from the mog collectors.

But my question would be, whats the point?

People choose classic because they could not perform/deal with retails performance driven commuity in the first place. If retail game mechanics are to demanding and the communuty standards are to high for the typical classic player, whats the point of migrating?

The very least I would want from new players or those who choose Classic is a propper leveling experience (first char) under Retail rulesets.
    Endgame with a full wave of "Classic boosted" noobs is the last thing on my wishlist.

Instead of having to use R.IO as a baseline, people would start to use the C-addon for a CLOWN filter.
    I was not aware, I thought the ful lcontent was available. But that makes the issue even easier.

The whole point is about leveling experience

That is a huge part of the game for many.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    Yeah, this could be done by returning the content that had been cut from the game through time walking zones.
    Yes, but that is why I thought of this. Directly use a classic version.. soon peopel could pick among 3 different ones even.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    So far as it's worked out they want to keep the games completely separate apart from the occasional cross-promotion. They should stick with that and ignore this idea altogether.
    Why tho? It has 0 impact on one another.