Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Can someone explain to me the point of the Cypher system

So it only works in the outdoor zone in Zereth Mortis, not in the new raid. So you do world quests, get Cyphers, pick talents and then get stronger at doing world quests? Why should I feel like I have to engage with this system at all? It feels like this entire system is merely designed to make progressing through the system easier.

That's like that joke Jerry Seinfeld did, we only do the workout, so we're strong enough to get through the workout.

It's basically an optional system for pets and mounts...and well if you want to fly there

If you give 0 shits about it then you just don't do it.

I think it's great and hope to be able to completely ignore it on raid/m+ chars. I want to play open world content on some trash alt without needing to grind on my main.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    It's basically an optional system for pets and mounts...
    What pets and mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    If you give 0 shits about it then you just don't do it.
    Ok so what do I do in the patch then?

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't this a carbon copy of a thread from about a week or two ago??

Burner account does not inspire confidence in genuine inquiry either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post

Please make an actual argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post

It is. Exactly this.

Guess dude wasn't happy with that previous thread and decided to re-ignite the discussion.

On topic, nothing wrong with the system. People complained about having to grind player power, now they don't. Optional outdoor gains for those interested. And here we are, complaining anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Optional outdoor gains for those interested. And here we are, complaining anyway.
    Right. Because there is no point in doing it. All it does is make you stronger outdoors, so you can do world quests better. But the only reason we need to do world quests is to progress through the system.

The obvious solution would be a system, that makes you stronger in raids, but doesn't take 10 weeks to max out, instead maybe more like a week, with no artificial gating. Then you have a system that is mandatory, but at least isn't pointless, and not too painful to interact with.

Quote Originally Posted by alejandroo View Post
    Right. Because there is no point in doing it. All it does is make you stronger outdoors, so you can do world quests better. But the only reason we need to do world quests is to progress through the system.

The obvious solution would be a system, that makes you stronger in raids, but doesn't take 10 weeks to max out, instead maybe more like a week, with no artificial gating. Then you have a system that is mandatory, but at least isn't pointless, and not too painful to interact with.
    Yes, we need more mandatory systems. They are quite popular with the player base.

Why should I feel like I have to engage with this system at all?
    You shouldn't - if you're just interested in raiding, this system isn't for you. You can just ignore it.

Meanwhile, people who enjoy doing world content in any capacity will get some cool things to unlock and nice rewards to obtain.

Quote Originally Posted by Zora-Prime View Post
    Yes, we need more mandatory systems. They are quite popular with the player base.
    I wouldn't mind them not introducing any new systems at all, but if they do it, they better design a system that isn't completely pointless.

They are only unpopular because they take so long to max out. There will always be things mandatory for min maxing. The solution is to create systems that aren't pointless but not painful either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sarethion View Post
    You shouldn't - if you're just interested in raiding, this system isn't for you. You can just ignore it.
    That is the thing. I'm not a big raider. I like to do outdoor content. But there is nothing in this system that is of any interest to me. I'll do the content once, just to check it out, but the system is a waste of internet space. It's like a system that sucks its own dick.

It is needed because the raiders deserve to be free.

10+ Year Old Account
    I’ve also heard making players do grindy boring shit they don’t care about to unlock flying in a zone they won’t want to be in anymore by the time they unlock flying is incredibly popular right now.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    I’ve also heard making players do grindy boring shit they don’t care about to unlock flying in a zone they won’t want to be in anymore by the time they unlock flying is incredibly popular right now.
    Who's making you do it? tell me and I'll fuck em up for ya.

I like to do outdoor content. But there is nothing in this system that is of any interest to me. I'll do the content once, just to check it out, but the system is a waste of internet space. It's like a system that sucks its own dick.
    So let me ask you this - what about gear? Because the way I see it, everything you said about the Cypher system can be said about gear too - you do content to get gear, because you want to be stronger, so that you can do more of that content and... get more gear. Does that mean that gear "sucks its own dick" and is a "waste of internet space"?
    Last edited by Sarethion; 2021-12-16 at 02:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who's making you do it? tell me and I'll fuck em up for ya.
    That's ma brudda right there.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Right. Because there is no point in doing it. All it does is make you stronger outdoors.
    Hate to burst your Bubble, but WoW has had little systems here and there to make you stronger in outdoor Content since Release.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    That is the thing. I'm not a big raider. I like to do outdoor content. But there is nothing in this system that is of any interest to me. I'll do the content once, just to check it out, but the system is a waste of internet space. It's like a system that sucks its own dick.
    Then don’t do it. Problem solved

So let me ask you this - what about gear? Because the way I see it, everything you said about the Cypher system can be said about gear too - you do content to get gear, because you want to be stronger, so that you can do more of that content and... get more gear. Does that mean that gear "sucks its own dick" and is a "waste of internet space"?
    exactly. levelling, gearing, talent points, heart of azeroth, covenants, cyphers, it's all doing content to get better at doing content. we get some nice fun things along the way and blizzard try to change it up every now and then in an effort to stop us from getting bored and to have a new system to hype for the patch/expansion but the basics are and always have been the same. we play to play to play
    if it stops being fun, stop doing it

the systems could certainly use some improvements, but that's in the implementation and not a fault of the system itself. having some kind of pathway to advance along has always been a staple of roleplaying games (some are linear paths like levelling, some have choices like talents, some are a bit of both in that we aim to get all eventually but can pick the order we get them in like the talents for Chromie, Visions and Torghast) and can work very well

I do not disagree at all. That's why I've never been a raider. I never got on the gear treadmill. I think raiders are silly. Especially with mythic+ and all these different raid difficulties now. You do content, so you can get gear, so you can access the same content on a slightly higher difficulty. It's idiotic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    Then don’t do it. Problem solved
    That's what I plan to do. But that doesn't answer my question of what the point of the system is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Hate to burst your Bubble, but WoW has had little systems here and there to make you stronger in outdoor Content since Release.
    No. It has had systems to make you stronger overall.