Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Are Door to Door Christmas Carollers a thing Still?

In your country?

I am from the UK and the last time I ever remember seeing carollers come to our door was when I was as really young, we talking early 90's late 80's. I haven't seen any in years. I am not even sure if they still happen, then again I have been living out of the way, so who knows.

The only place to se carollers now are usually in large supermarkets/malls

Where do you live in the world and are they a thing where you are? Have they ever been a thing where you are? Were they a thing but like me you haven't seen any in a while?
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-12-18 at 04:56 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think door-to-door anything should exist -- especially in a pandemic.

We have times that carolers walk around the neighborhood singing. But not door-to-door in the sense you mean.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post

We have times that carolers walk around the neighborhood singing. But not door-to-door in the sense you mean.
    I don;t know what they call them... I made that term up. I mean people who sing outside your house type of thing, or just carollers :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Always saw them on TV and in movies. Never experienced it personally or participated in them growing up.

Just like that white, fluffy substance that falls from the sky during the winter months. Where I live, that's not a thing. What's up with that shit

10+ Year Old Account
    Isnt this some american made up crap from movies? The closest thing from door to door here is kids asking money for church as 3 kings or whatever they are called.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Isnt this some american made up crap from movies? The closest thing from door to door here is kids asking money for church as 3 kings or whatever they are called.
    Nice job trying to bash the United States and failing horribly.

https://www.whychristmas.com/customs..._history.shtml
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvi-9bnnOIU
    https://moviecultists.com/why-did-carolers-start

I do wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year though!

"...a virus we bring, to you and your kin; we wish you a case of COVID and a hospital stay"
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Nice job trying to bash the United States and failing horribly.

https://www.whychristmas.com/customs..._history.shtml
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvi-9bnnOIU
    https://moviecultists.com/why-did-carolers-start

I do wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year though!
    Yeah, but its difference. Like coca cola red santa.
    (note we still have a Nicholas here)

However we do have something similar to pegan stuff and that is drunk people singing on street at Xmas .
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    Yes they still exist and I've had carolers quite a few times. It sounds like you live in a rural (or not so friendly) neighborhood if you've never had them.

I will say that in reality they are a bit different than in movies. They don't really tend to go door to door like in movies, that would take forever. Instead they usually walk through a neighborhood caroling, occasionally stopping kind of like a small parade.

Also, it's a bit wild to think that something doesn't exist simply because you haven't experienced it. That just means a person would probably benefit from some travel post-pandemic. Get out and experience the world yourself and you'll see it, along with realizing that many of the negative public stigmas around certain places aren't very accurate. And as you can probably imagine there hasn't been much or any of caroling happening over the last couple years for obvious reasons, like any group events.

The pandemic is so far out of control at this point that I don’t think some Christmas Carolers are going to have much of an impact.

Also, if people haven’t been vaccinated by now they obviously don’t care.
    Last edited by muto; 2021-12-18 at 08:10 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    You see them sometimes in Canada but not often and they mostly just walk around the block singing. Maybe stopping in front of houses where they know the owners or the old folks place.

10+ Year Old Account

Haven't seen it in decades, and my current neighbourhood is exactly the kind of place that you'd think it might.

If it happened this year, I'd probably respond with a hose. There's a fucking pandemic. What the hell is wrong with you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    The pandemic is so far out of control at this point that I don’t think some Christmas Carolers are going to have much of an impact.

That doesn't mean we should be going door to door singing of all things.
    Forum badass alert:
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

7+ Year Old Account
    There is a tradition for walking around singing and getting candy around yule time here in Scandinavia, at least in Norway.
    It's an old pagan tradition called "julebukk".

Children will go from house to house and sing and receive candy. We used to do it on a bigger scale when I was a child in the 90s, with adults coming along with torches and sometimes even horse and carriage.

It's a "hommage" to a event called Åsgardsreia, a march of all bad things that would make trouble for people who had not prepared everything for Jol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Uh, the Pagan stuff in your photo has fuck all to do with drunk people singing in the street…
    That is true, most pagan would celebrate by getting shitfaced for at least a week, or for how long the beer you made for Jol would last.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Haven't seen it in decades, and my current neighbourhood is exactly the kind of place that you'd think it might.

If it happened this year, I'd probably respond with a hose. There's a fucking pandemic. What the hell is wrong with you?
    Lets be honest, at best you would go back into your basement, eating cheetos and make a angry thread about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Don’t be silly… Hellboy doesn’t make threads on MMO-Champion.
    Seriously; click my name and click "View Started Threads".

Kinda.. not so much christmas carols that's american stuff, but we have "sternsinger" (star singers) that go around and bless your entrance way between christmas and the 6th janurary; for a little donation of course.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

I've only ever seen them in movies, never seen (or heard) anything like it here in Sweden.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Aurgjelme View Post
    There is a tradition for walking around singing and getting candy around yule time here in Scandinavia, at least in Norway. It's an old pagan tradition called "julebukk".
    Children will go from house to house and sing and receive candy. We used to do it on a bigger scale when I was a child in the 90s, with adults coming along with torches and sometimes even horse and carriage.
    That actually sounds like kinda fun. A bit like Halloween in a Christmas way.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post

Have you actually experienced it though? I have never seen any carolers outside of movies and events.

There's no Christmas like an Addams family Christmas;