Poll: Steve Danuser's writing in & for WoW?

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ...
    To me it's just sad because the Zandalari of MoP were when they were really defined with a powerful image only for it to be relegated to the refuse bin. The Zandalari race in their modern iteration have been disneyfied to serve a narrative. It's just one example but to me it's more pronounced because I think it really establishes the difference, the tone, of what the writing used to be when I think back to older iterations and conceptions of the races.
    Last edited by Gnomette; 2022-03-26 at 04:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomette View Post
    If the writers can take a step back to appreciate this is a fantasy universe that has always had imperfections, grey morality and uncomfortable topics it could be far more interesting. The sterility the game suffers from saddens me, characters like Garrosh or Daelin Proudmoore will always be more interesting because they drive conflict. The factions need flaws, they need conflict, cultural differences, opinions of all shades and internal strife to be interesting. They need their plotting forsaken, their supremacist elves, just as much as they need their honourable tauren and wise Pandaren.
    ...Yeah that isn't gonna fly with them. As you said, stuff like that is interesting from a storytelling perspective, but I doubt they'll attempt anything like that. Given how badly their company image has been turned there really isn't much they can do now. They have to play it safe or feel the wrath of Twitter and Social Media... A single tweet is enough to start a wildfire of controversy and hate if it's something deemed 'offensive.'

It's the least interesting way of storytelling (evident by their recent expansions), but unfortunately it's their safest option. That's all I'll say on the topic, proceeding any further down this will only lead to a powder keg of explosive arguments. (I'm even prepared to delete this comment just in case if I have to.)

All they can do is try not to make dumb storytelling decisions.... like how the Legion is above all realities and timelines. That's dumb.

I understand your point but letting idiots that can't discern fiction from reality dictate the medium, or more over throw creative freedom out the window is just silly.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomette View Post
    I understand your point but letting idiots that can't discern fiction from reality dictate the medium, or more over throw creative freedom out the window is just silly.
    The funniest part is that the guy in charge of lore continuity (I can't even recall his name lul) came on record to say that old lore shouldn't be used to "constrain" the writing team's freedom. And now we're in a place where old lore won't influence new developments, but a bunch of twitterati evidently do.