Is OW just sort of drifting now?

I stopped playing OW around September/October 2020, and then logged in for a few games this week. I saw some new skins, but felt like nothing else had really changed or been updated in the game since my last login in 2020. I'm not quite sure what I was expecting, but the game felt like it had been frozen in time with no real changes of consequence.

I've been out of the OW rumor/news vine for so long, that about all I know is that OW2 has been delayed. Is there a huge patch coming for live OW? Or other news of any sort? I'd love something to get excited for if it is coming ...

Cheers and thx if you have any insight!

I still think its fun to log in and play your placement matches per season, maybe grind skins in events - take it to serious and it loses all fun, leavers every comp game / teams just bitching non stop lol
    "We will not compromise our standards to release a title before it is ready."
    WoW T.W.O ( The Wars Over )

It feels like when everything shifted to OW2, they expected the game to come out in the not so distant future. We haven't had a new character or a new map, a real map, in forever now. How many people really give a shit about the death match maps, sure they look nice, but that's not where most of OW population hangs out.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    There hasn't been a new character since Echo.
    Overwatch 2 is apparently in a playable state, but moving forward slowly.

But, other that what you have heard, no one else likely knowns anything.

I just play during the times to get a new skin unlocked and then wait until the next one. I used to play competitive a bit, but frankly I don't play enough to be decent at it. Much more fun to play in the Arcade imo.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    I stopped playing OW around September/October 2020, and then logged in for a few games this week. I saw some new skins, but felt like nothing else had really changed or been updated in the game since my last login in 2020. I'm not quite sure what I was expecting, but the game felt like it had been frozen in time with no real changes of consequence.

I've been out of the OW rumor/news vine for so long, that about all I know is that OW2 has been delayed. Is there a huge patch coming for live OW? Or other news of any sort? I'd love something to get excited for if it is coming ...

Cheers and thx if you have any insight!
    I don't play OW myself but i heard most of Blizzard games are basically on "Stand by" mode and are rarely updated unless needed to.
    Minimum efford, maximum profit kinda thing. Also due lawsuits and sorts. But yeah Blizzard is just on autopilot till the name is no longer worthy and it just dies off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    It feels like when everything shifted to OW2, they expected the game to come out in the not so distant future. We haven't had a new character or a new map, a real map, in forever now. How many people really give a shit about the death match maps, sure they look nice, but that's not where most of OW population hangs out.
    This, like they could easily with similar effort make other maps. Like an assault map or a control map (control being a bit more work).

The Deathmatch players have to be a minority of those who play.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Well Overwatch is heavily inspired off of TF2. Only makes sense that Blizz also copies the multi-year content gaps from them too. 1500+ days without an update and counting!

OW1 has seen the usual seasonal events, some side stories (a small in-game event + a character story in some form; a McCree-comic is on issue 2 out of 5 atm), two new Deathmatch maps. Compared to new relevant maps and new heroes it's not much, but I appreciate them nonetheless, adds some lore to check out while waiting for the main course.

Why we're getting deathmatch maps when they're not exactly of prime interest to the playerbase? Because they're simple to design; just make an arena where people can go ham on each other. Other map types require much more consideration to balance, since it's team vs team with more dynamic goals. I mean, Kanezaka wasn't even planned to be added to the game, a dev did it on their own as a showcase of their skill; the team ended up liking it so much they decided to add it for the heck of it, no accompanying story bits, just some easter eggy lore about Genji's old stomping grounds or something. Malevento was supposed to be part of the McCree event I think. I don't know, I haven't read the comic yet as I'm waiting for all 5 issues to come out first.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

I play QP and some Arcade and still having a great time in OW. But then again I started playing OW in 2020.

You know whats cozy? The holiday maps. It gives me some extra holiday spirit. Love it.
    - Everything that lives is designed to end. We are perpetually trapped in a never ending spiral of life and death. Is this a curse? Or some kind of punishment? I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle… and wonder if we’ll ever get the chance to kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    I play QP and some Arcade and still having a great time in OW. But then again I started playing OW in 2020.

You know whats cozy? The holiday maps. It gives me some extra holiday spirit. Love it.
    Yup, especially King's Row. Like it was made for the season. Hopefully they'll add more seasonal variations in OW2.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    Yup, especially King's Row. Like it was made for the season. Hopefully they'll add more seasonal variations in OW2.
    Yeah, it is really nice! Cozy inside attack start point in Blizzard World too
    - Everything that lives is designed to end. We are perpetually trapped in a never ending spiral of life and death. Is this a curse? Or some kind of punishment? I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle… and wonder if we’ll ever get the chance to kill him.

Well the Competitive scene is heavily garbage right now, with absolutely zero intention from Blizzard to fix it, so there's that.

And seeing as how there's been no worthwhile content, it's looking like another HoTS and Starcraft II.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    I don't play OW myself but i heard most of Blizzard games are basically on "Stand by" mode and are rarely updated unless needed to.
    Minimum efford, maximum profit kinda thing. Also due lawsuits and sorts. But yeah Blizzard is just on autopilot till the name is no longer worthy and it just dies off.
    Well the crew that has no life but to hate blizzard and hang around blizzard games until it eventually dies will be waiting for a loooong time.

If you think blizzard is the exception in the industry with "allegations", "lawsuits", delays and maximizing profit you don't know how companies work.

The game is fine if you play it occasionally, it does feel stale if I play it too often. I'm definitely waiting for OW2, hope 5v5 doesn't break the game in too many ways.

Not played it in donkey years.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerrona View Post
    Well the crew that has no life but to hate blizzard and hang around blizzard games until it eventually dies will be waiting for a loooong time.

If you think blizzard is the exception in the industry with "allegations", "lawsuits", delays and maximizing profit you don't know how companies work.
    You are a defacto Blizzard white knight, made obvious by the "if other companies have sexual assault allegations and discrimination, it's okay if my favorite company does" it also makes you sounds like an incredibly shitty person.

Most people that are pissed off at Blizzard loved Blizzard and spent a lot of time in the games we now can't stand. I don't personally want to see Blizzard games die. It's okay if you still find enjoyment in them. It just makes you sound petty and childish when you shit on people who have a different opinion of something you like.

Also, Overwatch has seemed dead for years now. What is OW2 going to be? New maps and characters? How groundbreaking, especially since it has been delayed indefinitely. I see Diablo IV getting a release date, OW2 getting cancelled.

When they revealed that OW2 would essentially be an expansion I shook my head. They've been fucking around with it for years and for what OW2 is going to be it shouldn't take that long. It's just some new skins, maps, a mode and balancing/redesigns. Blizzard has botched everything imaginable in recent years. They were once the premier gaming studio, now they're resembling EA Bioware more than anything.

I just look forward to OW2, when more news got out about it my will to play OW took a blow.
    All I see are improvements especially with 5v5 shift.
    Overwatch has been and is great but as others pointed out, BLZ can rightfully get flack for not releasing new maps or heroes since the Jurrasic period.
    The fact that it is still played that much says pretty much of the concept as a whole, its a smash hit and by the looks of it OW2 will be even better.
    I hope they maintain it better. Oh and BLZ could stop being dicks with the OWL, guess they will behave though since they can hardly even find a sponsor for it so they might become more humble..
    Ukraine’s government has officially registered the Moskva cruiser wreck on the Black Sea bottom as a national underwater cultural heritage site.