Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ...
6
14
15
16
17
18
... LastLast
  1. #301
    Quote Originally Posted by Candlewick View Post
    Gaming changes and evolves like all medians. I think wows insistence on boring players through grinds and easy content is now no longer viable in the market. If I tell a friend a really good game has a boring 2 hour tutorial its hard to sell them on the game... if I explained wows leveling, conduit, Lego, renowned systems I couldn't pay them to play it.
    If that was the case, why is FF14 having a giant surge in players when it is harder to get into than WoW? These are all excuses for a very simple problem: WoW is a bad game right now.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

  2. #302
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    The fact that you throw this little fit the second FF14 is mentioned and go on a little tirade tells me that I am not the cultist here.

    I don't care about your personal opinion of any game, burger chain, movie series, or anything else you could possibly have a personal opinion on. You are just telling me that for you this is about your personal emotions and feelings and not about reality. I don't like McDonalds, but my dislike doesn't magically transform the universe into one where McDonalds is a failure. I understand this because I am not a child.

    The best selling game this moth was Halo Infinite. It has 6000 viewers on Twitch. Something tells me that using Twitch to gauge how successful a game is, is clown shit. Let's take a look at massive, cultural phenomenon breakout hit of 2021 Valheim: 600 viewers.
    Of course viewers on twitch can be used to gauge interest in a game.
    Valheim has peaked at over 200k at one point. The game is now solved and therefore interest is lower.

    FF14 has JUST released an expansion and nobody cares? not buying it.

    Also, yes you are a cultist, just having a brief look at you posts on this forum just confirmed everything I mentioned above.

  3. #303
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I truly don't understand this thread's title. Just because WoW is floundering hardcore doesn't mean all MMOs have issue. FFXIV has PLENTY of players. GW2 also has a lot of people playing. For fuck's sake even SWTOR is seeing a resurgence. MMOs aren't struggling. WoW is struggling.
    MMOs are a rather small niche in the gaming market and we kinda have the problem that its popularity is waning since younger people have barely any interest in it.
    #1) MMO-C should be glad that the British Empire is no more, because they'd want a piece of all the copium trade here.
    #2) Angry players come to the forums to complain about the game... but what loser only comes to the forums to complain about the forums and its users?
    #3)Felating Blizzard too eagerly may lead to oxygen deficiency and worst case asphyxiation. Long-term effects range from delusions up to cerebral necrosis. #4) The WoW playerbase doesn't deserve housing.

  4. #304
    Quote Originally Posted by Zora-Prime View Post
    Of course viewers on twitch can be used to gauge interest in a game.
    Valheim has peaked at over 200k at one point. The game is now solved and therefore interest is lower.

    FF14 has JUST released an expansion and nobody cares? not buying it.

    Also, yes you are a cultist, just having a brief look at you posts on this forum just confirmed everything I mentioned above.
    Let's take a look at current players on Steam versus viewers on Twitch.

    Fifth most played game right now: 900 viewers
    Sixth most played game right now: 120,000 viewers
    Seventh most played game right now: 253 viewers
    Eighth most played game right now: 2,700 viewers

    Do you think that tracks? That looks like twitch viewers match what people are playing? You are delusional.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

  5. #305
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    If that was the case, why is FF14 having a giant surge in players when it is harder to get into than WoW? These are all excuses for a very simple problem: WoW is a bad game right now.
    Success compared to what exactly though? I enjoy final fantasy though I feel the story is rather overrated. Final fantasy will never be the next Cod or fortnight though. I think final fantasy is profiting so heavily right now simply by not falling into the bloat trap wow has.

    I have a gunbreaker and pally at cap and almost have a samurai at cap. Final fantasy has a more casual feel to it then wow. In wow things feel designed to waste your time till mythic plus or at least for me it does. In final fantasy I was bored while leveling and almost dropped it till I stumbled across palace of the dead and then ran that almost excessively while leveling.

    For mmos wow has no idea what to do with players pre mythic plus and raiding beyond throwing defenseless enemies infront of them. Final fantasy at least has optional challenging content throughout even if its top difficulty is on par with wows easier heroic bosses.

  6. #306
    An additional problem is that as MMOs decline in attractiveness, it becomes harder for a single MMO to appeal to multiple groups. Each group's requirements for what will keep them playing become more and more specific as they become jaded with MMOs. Previously, there was so much innate excitement in playing an MMO each player could tolerate considerable mistargeting of the design. Now, it's increasingly do it their way or they walk.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The greatest use of a life is to spend it on something that will outlast it." -- William James
    "The Oculus, but it's the whole expansion!" -- Brianna Royce, Massively OP, on Dragon Riding

  7. #307
    Quote Originally Posted by Candlewick View Post
    Success compared to what exactly though? I enjoy final fantasy though I feel the story is rather overrated. Final fantasy will never be the next Cod or fortnight though. I think final fantasy is profiting so heavily right now simply by not falling into the bloat trap wow has.

    I have a gunbreaker and pally at cap and almost have a samurai at cap. Final fantasy has a more casual feel to it then wow. In wow things feel designed to waste your time till mythic plus or at least for me it does. In final fantasy I was bored while leveling and almost dropped it till I stumbled across palace of the dead and then ran that almost excessively while leveling.

    For mmos wow has no idea what to do with players pre mythic plus and raiding beyond throwing defenseless enemies infront of them. Final fantasy at least has optional challenging content throughout even if its top difficulty is on par with wows easier heroic bosses.
    Your assessment of the difficulty is flat wrong. Ultimates are easily equivalent to final mythic bosses in WoW, and this has been confirmed and agreed on by the people most experienced with both games.

    Putting that aside, you are proving my point. The problem is WoW, not society.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

  8. #308
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Your assessment of the difficulty is flat wrong. Ultimates are easily equivalent to final mythic bosses in WoW, and this has been confirmed and agreed on by the people most experienced with both games.

    Putting that aside, you are proving my point. The problem is WoW, not society.
    I would disagree on ultimates but that is personal opinion. I am not really arguing that wow doesnt have problems its more defining those problems. I think wows content at the high end for the most part is fine (I think the mythic key system needs work but its functional as is). Wow just has it in their mind that content needs to be brain dead and I wish they would stop doing that. While never a hard game it used to at least pose a risk to players outside mythic and raids.

  9. #309
    Quote Originally Posted by Candlewick View Post
    I would disagree on ultimates but that is personal opinion. I am not really arguing that wow doesnt have problems its more defining those problems. I think wows content at the high end for the most part is fine (I think the mythic key system needs work but its functional as is). Wow just has it in their mind that content needs to be brain dead and I wish they would stop doing that. While never a hard game it used to at least pose a risk to players outside mythic and raids.
    The mythic key system is a good idea implemented very badly. Difficult dungeons with affixes is a great idea. A timed key based system is awful.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

  10. #310
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    The mythic key system is a good idea implemented very badly. Difficult dungeons with affixes is a great idea. A timed key based system is awful.
    It isn't the timed aspect that bothers me as much as the keys themselves. I don really see why players can't readily set the level of their keys themselves rather then them being a blizzard resource that bottlenecks new players. If people want to try 15s let them try 15s don't force them to level a key.

  11. #311
    Quote Originally Posted by Candlewick View Post
    I would disagree on ultimates but that is personal opinion. I am not really arguing that wow doesnt have problems its more defining those problems. I think wows content at the high end for the most part is fine (I think the mythic key system needs work but its functional as is). Wow just has it in their mind that content needs to be brain dead and I wish they would stop doing that. While never a hard game it used to at least pose a risk to players outside mythic and raids.
    If they can rework the dungeon feature at endgame alot will probably be solved.

  12. #312
    Quote Originally Posted by Candlewick View Post
    It isn't the timed aspect that bothers me as much as the keys themselves. I don really see why players can't readily set the level of their keys themselves rather then them being a blizzard resource that bottlenecks new players. If people want to try 15s let them try 15s don't force them to level a key.
    They don't want people to just bash their face against the easiest dungeon. The idea is that you are forced to run every dungeon by virtue of the random key. Not that that is a good solution to that problem, but it is what they think.

    I think the whole thing is borked. The dungeons should be like mini-raids with weekly lockouts, rather than content meant to be speedrun repeatedly.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

  13. #313
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    after first patch? you must mean BEFORE LAST patch, bcs thats what 9.1.5 is

    and yes, they do that quite often, in both bfa and legion pretty much all restrictions they put in with base game were lifted later during the expansions (and before then too, although not so often), some of them sooner, and sure, some of them later in the expansion, BUT! what you seem to "forget" (or ignore as it doesnt push your predetermined opinion) is theres not much SL content left, as far as we know 9.2 and thats it, so when should they lift those restrictions, in next expansion? ofc they do it now, before the last major patch...

    remember corruptions vendor for example? didnt even take another patch, they did it in the same patch corruptions were added...
    so trying to pretend they dont do that is either complete ignorance or outright lying
    You seem to arguing two things here, neither of which has anything to do with my point. Nor did I ever say Blizz never gives players what they want. As for when should they loosen restrictions, I would assume Blizz would do it when they always have which is after the xpac content is over. They have not done a shift of this manner mid xpac for as long as I remember. And then there is the Mage tower being brought back out of the blue, because if there is one thing that screams healthy sub numbers and happy playerbase it bringing back something they always said they wouldn’t and has nothing to do with the current expansion

  14. #314
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    If they can rework the dungeon feature at endgame alot will probably be solved.
    I don't know if they would... end game content doesn't seem to be a big issue to me in wow as much as endgame progression systems are.

    I think there could be improvements sure but I think we are at the point where leveling has gotten so bad it might be time to consider letting new players start level 60 with full conduits and renowned. If something is just a grind I would argue it needs to go.

  15. #315
    Quote Originally Posted by Theangryone View Post
    You seem to arguing two things here, neither of which has anything to do with my point. Nor did I ever say Blizz never gives players what they want. As for when should they loosen restrictions, I would assume Blizz would do it when they always have which is after the xpac content is over. They have not done a shift of this manner mid xpac for as long as I remember. And then there is the Mage tower being brought back out of the blue, because if there is one thing that screams healthy sub numbers and happy playerbase it bringing back something they always said they wouldn’t and has nothing to do with the current expansion
    The cardinal sin of wow has always been the rapid deprecation of content, and they clearly leaned more and more into that model over time in order to introduce FOMO and keep people subbed. It worked, for a time, but now we can see that evergreen designs work better and I don't think the devs know how to cope with that when they have built the whole game around saying goodbye to content after every patch.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

  16. #316
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    ???
    Novelty: the quality of being new, original, or unusual.

    It's being used exactly the way OP intended. Online communication is no longer new, original, or unusual. One of the biggest reasons why MMOs were so popular when they were first coming out was because the concept of an online chatroom was still a novelty. Having an online chatroom where you could INTERACT in a virtual world with other players was absolutely mind-blowing. There were other games that did have online components to them, but nothing like an MMO.
    This is true. Golden Age of MMORPGs were from 2000-2010. Once social media got up and sprinting after 2-3 years from 2007-2010 MMORPG popularity especially community aspect, died.

  17. #317
    Quote Originally Posted by Candlewick View Post
    I don't know if they would... end game content doesn't seem to be a big issue to me in wow as much as endgame progression systems are.

    I think there could be improvements sure but I think we are at the point where leveling has gotten so bad it might be time to consider letting new players start level 60 with full conduits and renowned. If something is just a grind I would argue it needs to go.
    Chromie Time was a step in the right direction, but it still feels awkward to play through an expansion and never get resolution or anything for the stuff happening there. As I said above, they build the content for the current patch and don't have a lot of regard for what it looks like later and how janky it becomes.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Miffinat0r View Post
    This is true. Golden Age of MMORPGs were from 2000-2010. Once social media got up and sprinting after 2-3 years from 2007-2010 MMORPG popularity especially community aspect, died.
    MMOs are having a huge resurgence right now. WoW is what is failing.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

  18. #318
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    Its more these games are designed to be your primary game spending most of your time in them. However there are too many games out there for this method to work well anymore.
    Just gonna be bold here and say Witcher 3 is a far better game than any MMORPG out right now.

  19. #319
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    They don't want people to just bash their face against the easiest dungeon. The idea is that you are forced to run every dungeon by virtue of the random key. Not that that is a good solution to that problem, but it is what they think.

    I think the whole thing is borked. The dungeons should be like mini-raids with weekly lockouts, rather than content meant to be speedrun repeatedly.
    I don't think the mythic key system and harder dungeons can exist together take market right now. If you can run market you can run a 15 and get better gear. Worse they want to add market into keys and especially the second half has bosses that simply are not going to be fun to play around in a pug.

    Blizzard needs to concern themselves less with what players do and more on just how their plays out in reality rather then their internalized ideal.

  20. #320
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Chromie Time was a step in the right direction, but it still feels awkward to play through an expansion and never get resolution or anything for the stuff happening there. As I said above, they build the content for the current patch and don't have a lot of regard for what it looks like later and how janky it becomes.

    - - - Updated - - -



    MMOs are having a huge resurgence right now. WoW is what is failing.
    WoW is making money. Through their cash store, their quarterly clear identify that's their profit module now.

    What WoW is struggling, and as you can see tons of players who don't work in sales, are failing to grasp is that the "hard" mode content isn't adding or retaining new players. WoW is going to continue to flail and largely fail, because they don't embrace what the past 7 years in gaming has taught everyone:

    If your game is simple, players will play. If the game is too hard, players will leave.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •