First build in 10 years plz help

So I am still using an old i5-2500k (2nd gen) and its getting a little long in the tooth and was wondering opinions on upgrades

Current system is asus p8z68-v pro/gen3 w i5-2500k and i want to carry over the following componants (until game requirments force an upgrade)
    geforce 1050ti
    samsung evo 860 1tb ssd
    thermaltake 750w moduler power supply

Pretty sure all i need to replace is motherboard/processor/ram/cpu fan/heatsink and would like to get the best bang for my buck being $500 maximum
    With that said I have no intention of overclocking so hardware suggestions would be appreciated as it's been years since I built a pc
    You can call it trolling, you can call it flat out heresy, you don't have to like it or agree with it and you can even ban me for it but I refuse to be suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidegrade View Post
    So I am still using an old i5-2500k (2nd gen) and its getting a little long in the tooth and was wondering opinions on upgrades

Current system is asus p8z68-v pro/gen3 w i5-2500k and i want to carry over the following componants (until game requirments force an upgrade)
    geforce 1050ti
    samsung evo 860 1tb ssd
    thermaltake 750w moduler power supply

Pretty sure all i need to replace is motherboard/processor/ram/cpu fan/heatsink and would like to get the best bang for my buck being $500 maximum
    With that said I have no intention of overclocking so hardware suggestions would be appreciated as it's been years since I built a pc
    Something like this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nQ9CW3 Maybe switch out the cooler master for a noctua nh-d14 or an aio
    Last edited by Linkedblade; 2021-12-25 at 09:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want an AMD build as well here's my contribution. You said you had no intention of overclocking so the stock cpu cooler should work fine, but you could use the same as the the build listed above.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/V92z7X

P.S.
    This build *may* require using the bios flashback feature of the motherboard to update the bios to version 1004 or higher to use the CPU.
    Last edited by selrah; 2021-12-25 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by selrah View Post
    If you want an AMD build as well here's my contribution. You said you had no intention of overclocking so the stock cpu cooler should work fine, but you could use the same as the the build listed above.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/V92z7X
    Yeah either a 5600x/11600k is probably around the best bang/buck at $500. I would suggest the 12600k but new platform comes with a bit more of premium.

7+ Year Old Account
    Here's my suggestion;
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Zyn2mk

I opted for the MSI B550 PRO because it has great VRMs, enough fan headers and it has all the features you realistically need for the price.

For most gaming practices you don't need more than 16GB of RAM, I opted for G-Skill Ripjaws as they are solid and I've used them in a lot of builds.
    If you don't care that much about the CAS latency you could go below your budget and opt for the CL 18 modules which are a fraction cheaper;
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/n6R...3600c18d-16gvk

For the cooler I went with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black, the 5600X can get a little on the hot side so if you want you could attach a second fan to the heat sink, it should however be fine for cooling.

Hope this helps

If you wait just 1-2 months you get either ZEN3D/B550 or Intels 12th gen+B660+DDR4 as a crazy good ~i5-replacement.
    If you buy now, you either have to pay much more or have to get the older tech.

=> wait 1-2 months, you might also look at the new i3 range of CPUs like the 12400, it should be a very good choice for gaming.
    -

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    If you wait just 1-2 months you get either ZEN3D/B550 or Intels 12th gen+B660+DDR4 as a crazy good ~i5-replacement.
    If you buy now, you either have to pay much more or have to get the older tech.

=> wait 1-2 months, you might also look at the new i3 range of CPUs like the 12400, it should be a very good choice for gaming.
    If reports of chip shortage are to be believed the new chips will come with a heavy price tag, and lower prices for the components won't be a realistic outcome for at least a year until they get those new chip manufacturing factories up and running.

Considering the price to performance he's better off going for Zen3 if we're talking bang for buck, at least for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexenar View Post
    If reports of chip shortage are to be believed the new chips will come with a heavy price tag, and lower prices for the components won't be a realistic outcome for at least a year until they get those new chip manufacturing factories up and running.

Considering the price to performance he's better off going for Zen3 if we're talking bang for buck, at least for the moment.
    Either zen3 or 11th gen intel. 11th gen has gone down in price a bit since 12th came out.

was considering upping to the 12600 but I notice it only has 2 cores instead of 6. dunno what kind of impact that makes in todays world though.
    Last edited by Sidegrade; 2021-12-25 at 12:09 PM.
    You can call it trolling, you can call it flat out heresy, you don't have to like it or agree with it and you can even ban me for it but I refuse to be suppressed.

10+ Year Old Account
    was considering upping to the 12600 but I notice it only has 2 cores instead of 6. dunno what kind of impact that makes in todays world though.
    The 12600 is a 8 core CPU, 6 are the so called Performance cores and it also uses 2 Enhanced cores.

For your budget if you want to get a new machine now go for 11Th generation, the 12th generation motherboards are still very expensive, so if you really want a 12th generation you better wait for budget chipsets or, you can go with 11th.

best advice i can give you is whatever cpu and gpu u are interested in try to find (usually on youtube) how it REALLY performs in games compared to other similar-price products.
    ofc try to find the latest videos of such comparisons for the most recent drivers and game patches/updates footage.

second advice i can give you is (depending where you live) look up on various websites are there big discounts on some items.
    Sometimes you can find a big discount that makes a superior component similarly priced like a cheaper one.

double check does the mobo support all the connectors and features you want, like the USB connectors (whatever the smallest newest one is called) and the various SSD connectors and a solid sound card/chip and wifi/bluetooth and obviously the RAM speeds/modules... pick a solid/good brand for Mobo like asus/gigabyte/msi so you can rely on them to fix any bugs/issues for years to come.

and while techincally you can opt for a stock cooler (on some amd cpu) i would always recommend you get something like noctua or whatever has good reviews.
    thermal throttling is a b**** and those basic coolers from good brands (like noctua) tend to be affordable.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no 12600 at the moment, but there is the 12600k. It's a 6+4 core CPU, with 6 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores

Most people recommended a 5600X and thats a good CPU and its also what I use personally but its not exactly "bang for the buck". For example its about 30% faster than a 3600 but almost double the price. So technically bang for the buck would be more like a 3600 or I5 10400.

But if you want to spend 500 bucks on a new CPU, a 5600X is what you go for.

Also please dont use the AMD stock cooler for that. It "works" but it will still be like 80-90C under load depending on your case. Just buy a decent cooler for 30 bucks or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    Most people recommended a 5600X and thats a good CPU and its also what I use personally but its not exactly "bang for the buck". For example its about 30% faster than a 3600 but almost double the price. So technically bang for the buck would be more like a 3600 or I5 10400.

But if you want to spend 500 bucks on a new CPU, a 5600X is what you go for.

Also please dont use the AMD stock cooler for that. It "works" but it will still be like 80-90C under load depending on your case. Just buy a decent cooler for 30 bucks or so.
    Got a 5600x for 300 something euros in january, think it's cheaper now.
    Can confirm the stock cooler is garbage, even though the cpu itself operates at much higher temperatures than old cpus, 80-90C is not really worrysome for thr 5600x but still, I wasn't comfortable with it running that hot. Bought a random 15 euro coolet and it doesn't ever reach 80.
    But yeah, it's a really damn good cpu.

One thing to keep in mind if you go for the 5600x is the bios of the mobo. I had to go with a 550 that was capable of usb flashing since I had no amd cpu available to flash a bios that supports the cpu.
    Last edited by kranur; 2021-12-25 at 03:46 PM.

Look on craigslist or other secondhand market apps for deals and such. $500 max is really tight and more of a challenge than feasible.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

My advice: stretch or wait.

The 12600K absolutely crushes the 5600X (and hangs with the 5800x), and even the upcoming 12400 (from leaked benches) keeps up with or beats it (mostly beats it).

If you -Cant- wait, stretch you budget.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tZdCfP

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($299.98 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($199.99 @ B&H)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($79.41 @ Amazon)
    Total: $579.38
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-25 15:24 EST-0500
    If you live near a Micro Center (how “near” is worthwhile is up to you), they sell the 12600K for 249$ in-store. And an additional 20$ off with a compatible Motherboard, but my location has low/no supply of DDR4 boards because people have been snapping them up. Hell, they sell the 12700K for 329$, so if youre comfortable at the 580-600 stretch, you can get that instead.

Note you will need a cooler. There are decent coolers for the 12600K in the 25-40$ range if you dont intend to overclock.

Or, option 2 is “wait”. The 12400 (and 12100 i3s, and likely non-K 12600, 12700, etc) will be coming out in the next few months along with cheaper boards (B660, with prices in the 140-180$ range) and will likely cost 200-229$ if Intel repeats its agressive pricing as it did with the K SKUs.

With the first QS variants leaked from the 12400, the meme with i3 CPUs replacing i9/R9 from previous generations is reality.

12400 vs 5950x in 1440p gaming and killing even the 5600x in efficiency at gaming, 12th gen is beyond expectations the only question will be if Intel keeps the 200€ price tag (<180€ for the f variant)

Gaming efficiency is nuts:

Last edited by Ange; 2021-12-27 at 02:32 PM.
    -

10+ Year Old Account
    gaming performance at 1440p and 4k are very GPU based, you can see just how little CPU actually matters in the first shot, with a 5% difference at the high and low end.

Not to say the 12400 is bad, it just.. Doesn't matter.

Frankly this is probably the only time in history that buying a pre-build from a major manufacturer is worth it, basically they don't mark up the price for the GPU as much.

I personally bought a LENOVO Legion 5 for less that it would have cost in parts at the time of purchase Ryzen 5900X/16GB Ram/1000 SSD/GTX3070 - the case and cooling is actually excellent unlike the intel version they make.

But I guess that is outside your budget.

If waiting is the solution, we wait.