Worth an upgrade?

I'm hoping someone can help me decide... is it worth upgrading? If so, where is my bottleneck? (I think it's CPU?)

Current Machine...
    CPU: AMD FX-9590 8 Core, 4.7 Ghz
    RAM: 16 GB Kingston Hyper X
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-990FAX UD3 Ultra (I think)
    Graphics: RTX 2060
    Windows 10 Pro
    HDD - Samsung SSD 500G
    2nd HDD - 1 TB Storage Drive

Would an upgrade to Mobo/CPU/Memory serve me well?

I pretty much only play WoW.

Thank you!

if u want new cpu u need new mobo, so u need new ram also
    yea it would be huge in some cases (like online games)
    In wow u would get more fps in bgs/raids/instances and cities

The answer to your question is yes, an upgrade is in order, even for just WoW. Intel is set to release the i5 12400 shortly, for about 210, or 180 for the -F SKU and it is as fast or faster than the R5 5600X (299$), and new B660 boards will be out at the same time (about 150$ for DDR4 versions). The FX series wasnt really that great when they were relased, much less now. A 12400 would run rings around your current setup.

10+ Year Old Account
    Broski, that's CPU from 2013 and it was pretty divisive back then too.

So yeah, put it into dumpster. Any current CPU would eat it for lunch nowadays, even budget ones, let alone mainstream+. Of course it will need new motherboard and RAM too. So basically you need whole system minus drives and GPU.

You could in theory reuse the case and PSU, but I'd just get new ones really, because it's relatively small $$ anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    You can keep the GPU/ram/SSD/HDD and probably your pc case depending and since you will most likely change CPU you will need new motherboard, cpu cooler and preferably PSU. Your ram is fine for wow and all games unless you also stream.
    he uses ddr3, while most mobo use ddr4 nowadays

if u want to buy it asap, just go for ryzen 5600 or i5 11600
    i5 12600 is better but mobos are super expensive(it doubles the total cost), you probably would have to wait 3-6months for budget mobos,
    and then ull have new ryzen cpu on horizon
    all those cpus will serve u for 5-10 years (depends on ur expectations, i doubt there will be huge improvements in technology in that period that will make u buy new cpu next year or every year)
    Last edited by giantspider; 2021-12-26 at 11:30 AM.

Ok - Thank you for the input everyone. Pretty much what I assumed

Can you please give me your thoughts on these upgrades...
    Intel i7 - 12700KF CPU ($394 at Amazon)
    MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 ProSeries Motherboard ($209 at Amazon)
    XPG DDR4 4133Mhz (2x 8GB sticks) ($99 at Amazon)

Still looking for a case and/or power supply to go with them.

Any issues with these components playing nice together? Anything I should change? I'm not sure about the RAM speed/etc.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If you want real guidance you need to tell us what games you play and what else you use the PC for.
    It was included in my original post, but I can repeat. I play WoW almost exclusively.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lwapo View Post
    It was included in my original post, but I can repeat. I play WoW almost exclusively.
    And don't really do anything else with the pc?

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    And don't really do anything else with the pc?
    It'd be fair to say that 90% of its use is wow.

Some online browsing, the occasional spreadsheet, etc... but mostly wow.

Any issues with these components playing nice together? Anything I should change? I'm not sure about the RAM speed/etc.

Thanks!
    No issue but the 12700 is not worth it for playing games and especially for only playing WoW. A 12600K gives you the same performance for 100 bucks less. But thats still overkill. The 12400 will come out in the near future and will probably cost about 200 bucks. Thats what I would buy for WoW only. You probably need some other Ram though. Also the B660 mainboards are launching soon and they will be cheaper than Z690 boards, hopefully. So waiting a couple of months makes sense in this case.

As for a PSU I would suggest a "Corsair RM650x" but the "RM750x" costs like 2 bucks more so why not use the better one? The "be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 11 650W" is also a good option.

Thanks!
    Truth is this will kick the crap out over every game up to where your video card takes you for years to come. I would say if you just wanted some luxury you could toss on a NVM hard drive for windows just for fast boot times and stuff. But really we are talking about nothing that really helps game performance here. Could some configurations get you a squirt of performance here or there better or worse? Without a doubt. But this is pretty much a core that will carry for 5+ years easy.

Imo, wait a few weeks for i5-12400/F to release (around CES 2022 - jan 5th probably), there's no point in blowing that much money on an i7-K if all you do is WoW and spreadsheets.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2021-12-27 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorshen View Post
    Imo, wait a few weeks for i5-12400/F to release (around CES 2022 - jan 5th probably), there's no point in blowing that much money on an i7-K if all you do is WoW and spreadsheets.
    General system longevity. Spend an extra 200ish now, get another year or two without needing to upgrade thanks to the 2 extra P-cores/4 extra threads + E-cores (the 12400 doesnt have E-cores). Wont make games perform much better (just whatever the higher clocks get you) but for general use itll last a bit longer.

If hes got the money, he might as well.