Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The colloseum was fun in the beginning. It would begin that everyone would gather in the underground where you started to check who is the biggest thread. Than once you were up depending on class you went in one of 3 corner. Meele to the wide area and range in the two corner. Dks split between all and this way 3 teams formed which would mostly focus on killing the other teams. But if anyone would drop low hp in their camp they would also kill them. If someone tried to sneak out of the camp , the camp also would collaps on them. The more died in all camps the closer it would become to a free for all where in the end the weaker where picked away one by one until the last survived.

It was a fun experience, the only problem was that you could just time to que with a 20 man group and stomp it 20 times so everyone got their reward

Also there was an item/ toy that increased your damage by 400% for 30 secounds usable in raids with 12h cooldown. dont know why the top guilds never used it, but I think it wasnt on wowhead when we dropped it

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    World defense channel? World PvP is the worst content in the game, and nobody is going to go way out of their way to fight people in some obscure part of the game. Nobody would use it, so it doesn't need to exist.

Highmaul Coliseum is still in the game. Nobody plays it because it wasn't very fun. If you aren't one of the classes that excels at that type of gameplay (IE: Rogue) then it was just a boring pointless battle royale where half the classes had no real shot at winning and healers couldn't even really participate.

Kiting was incredibly dumb. If the only way you can kill a mob is by kiting it through an entire zone then clearly you aren't supposed to kill that mob. It serves no real purpose, if anything it was just obnoxious because it made mobs take longer to reset in certain situations.

Old Treasures still exist? If you want a super rare drop you can pay for it, the Uldaman drops usually go for like 1 million gold each. There's literally nothing wrong with some items in the game being incredibly rare, honestly I wouldn't mind if we had more <1% drop rate items.

At War serves no purpose, so it was removed. Adding it back wouldn't do anything because it wasn't useful to begin with. Not sure why they removed it, but I'm also not sure why anyone would want this back.

Really isn't a list of "Forgotten Features", more just a list of things that served no purpose and therefore no longer exist. There's nothing wrong with dumb shit like this getting removed from the game.
    Your post reads like it was written by an entitled brat.

In World of Warcraft, the ability to see where in the world players of the enemy faction were attacking was an incredibly valuable tool. The world feels smaller and less dynamic as a result of it being gone and the addition of sharding. I had great times seeing that Westfall or Honor Hold was under attack, heading out there to see there was a small party killing lowbies and quest givers. Overcoming that and "saving the day" was a great feeling, allowing our troops to continue levelling.

Let's not confuse "I hate this type of content" with "it is objectively bad".

Your assumption that nobody plays the coliseum because "it wasn't very fun" is stupid. This is a piece of content that is now over 7 years old, with no breadcrumbs leading to it and very few rewards attached to it in comparison to the work you need to put in. PvPers ask for free for all maps all the time; this is a perfect example of it done right. It is surprising that Blizzard hasn't lifted it and put it into the brawl system. Let's not forget that PvP was equal in terms of participation to their PvE counterparts in the past. There was a huge demand for such content before the development team gave bare bones resource to PvP.

Again, just because you dislike something doesn't mean everyone else does.

Kiting was one of those things that made the world feel more dangerous. Yes, the disruption to the zones probably wasn't worth it, but I have extremely fond memories of people kiting Shandris or Jaina to Orgrimmar and the whole city joining in to try and take them down. The game now feels too scripted and the unpredictability was something that added to magic of Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficents View Post
    Your post reads like it was written by an entitled brat.

In World of Warcraft, the ability to see where in the world players of the enemy faction were attacking was an incredibly valuable tool. The world feels smaller and less dynamic as a result of it being gone and the addition of sharding. I had great times seeing that Westfall or Honor Hold was under attack, heading out there to see there was a small party killing lowbies and quest givers. Overcoming that and "saving the day" was a great feeling, allowing our troops to continue levelling.

Let's not confuse "I hate this type of content" with "it is objectively bad".

Your assumption that nobody plays the coliseum because "it wasn't very fun" is stupid. This is a piece of content that is now over 7 years old, with no breadcrumbs leading to it and very few rewards attached to it in comparison to the work you need to put in. PvPers ask for free for all maps all the time; this is a perfect example of it done right. It is surprising that Blizzard hasn't lifted it and put it into the brawl system. Let's not forget that PvP was equal in terms of participation to their PvE counterparts in the past. There was a huge demand for such content before the development team gave bare bones resource to PvP.

Again, just because you dislike something doesn't mean everyone else does.

Kiting was one of those things that made the world feel more dangerous. Yes, the disruption to the zones probably wasn't worth it, but I have extremely fond memories of people kiting Shandris or Jaina to Orgrimmar and the whole city joining in to try and take them down. The game now feels too scripted and the unpredictability was something that added to magic of Warcraft.
    Who cares what the world feels like? You spend like zero time in the world. Unless you're 10 years old and think you're actually in the game it makes virtually zero difference. The game part of the game is going around using your abilities to complete quests, kill mobs, raid, do dungeons, and do PvP. None of which requires the world to feel "alive". But then again judging from how you said "saving the day" and "allowing our troops to continue leveling" makes me think maybe you genuinely think you're in World of Warcraft and that it isn't a video game? I'm not sure.

PvPers ask for gear to be equalized and for a solo Q feature. I don't think I've ever seen an actual PvP player want a free for all map because it would be objectively fucking terrible. Sure, maybe kids that really like Fortnite want a free for all map, but anyone who actually enjoys WoW PvP would see that a free for all map would be garbage and is entirely unnecessary. WoW PvP doesn't cater to that type of gameplay, it never has and it never will. For what it's worth, a solo Q feature will also be absolutely terrible as players will be finding out next patch.

Having some dick kite an elite into a starter town did not add "magic" to the game, it was cancerous to the game and the removal of it only made sense. In all reality it should have never existed in the first place and was almost certainly the product of buggy code rather than an actual choice by Blizzard to allow players to do that.

Not even sure why you would want the game not to feel "scripted" in this way, honestly. Nothing is worse than when you're trying to just go do something to progress your character and something interrupts it. That's why war mode is garbage, and it's why people being able to kite mobs into you was garbage. The world exists so that you can go get your characters ready to play the actual game, which is arenas/raids/m+, having the world feel "alive" is entirely unnecessary and just leads to frustration more often than not.

LOL at the @ War feature, My DK has never been able to go to any Goblin city, haven't tried in a few years so maybe its changed. But I remember how much it was a pain in the ass if you landed anywhere and instantly got swarmed by hordes of bruisers lol. Good times.

Who cares what the world feels like? You spend like zero time in the world. Unless you're 10 years old and think you're actually in the game it makes virtually zero difference. The game part of the game is going around using your abilities to complete quests, kill mobs, raid, do dungeons, and do PvP. None of which requires the world to feel "alive". But then again judging from how you said "saving the day" and "allowing our troops to continue leveling" makes me think maybe you genuinely think you're in World of Warcraft and that it isn't a video game? I'm not sure.

PvPers ask for gear to be equalized and for a solo Q feature. I don't think I've ever seen an actual PvP player want a free for all map because it would be objectively fucking terrible. Sure, maybe kids that really like Fortnite want a free for all map, but anyone who actually enjoys WoW PvP would see that a free for all map would be garbage and is entirely unnecessary. WoW PvP doesn't cater to that type of gameplay, it never has and it never will. For what it's worth, a solo Q feature will also be absolutely terrible as players will be finding out next patch.

Having some dick kite an elite into a starter town did not add "magic" to the game, it was cancerous to the game and the removal of it only made sense. In all reality it should have never existed in the first place and was almost certainly the product of buggy code rather than an actual choice by Blizzard to allow players to do that.

Not even sure why you would want the game not to feel "scripted" in this way, honestly. Nothing is worse than when you're trying to just go do something to progress your character and something interrupts it. That's why war mode is garbage, and it's why people being able to kite mobs into you was garbage. The world exists so that you can go get your characters ready to play the actual game, which is arenas/raids/m+, having the world feel "alive" is entirely unnecessary and just leads to frustration more often than not.
    We'll have to agree to disagree, then. Personally for me the game was much better when people were out there in the world, exploring and interacting with each other, teaming up to take down difficult foes or repelling invasions. Too much emphasis is on "just trying to progress my character" that the social element of the game (it is an MMORPG after all) has been lost. I'm not sure it's worth arguing with someone that "doesn't care what the world feels like" when the "world" is literally in the name of the game. The game shouldn't only be about instanced combat, that type of thinking is why we've ended up with Shadowlands and Garrisons.

Kiting was disruptive as I've already said, but it definitely did made the world more dynamic and magical - like anything could happen. I liken it to the Fel Reaver sneaking up behind you while questing. A temporary annoyance that was unpredictable, but based on human behavior.

Thousands of comments (and over 2 million views) saying they miss the spontaneity or when the world was more alive compared to people off on their own or in instances. So no, your opinion is not the only one that matters and if you didn't like that a giant dragon or enemy faction leader could make it into a city, there were other options where you could sit alone and get on with your auctioning

10+ Year Old Account

Highmaul Coliseum is still in the game. Nobody plays it because it wasn't very fun. If you aren't one of the classes that excels at that type of gameplay (IE: Rogue) then it was just a boring pointless battle royale where half the classes had no real shot at winning and healers couldn't even really participate.
    Had to correct this, Rogues were the WORST class in HC because stealth didnt work (everyone was in your raid group and could see you) and healers/tanks were the best specs in HC. AOE the melee and build stacks until you were a god who could one shot everyone and flash heal to full HP. I won HC on 7 toons and seeing a holy pally/priests/druids/DKs meant GG.

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficents View Post
    We'll have to agree to disagree, then. Personally for me the game was much better when people were out there in the world, exploring and interacting with each other, teaming up to take down difficult foes or repelling invasions. Too much emphasis is on "just trying to progress my character" that the social element of the game (it is an MMORPG after all) has been lost. I'm not sure it's worth arguing with someone that "doesn't care what the world feels like" when the "world" is literally in the name of the game. The game shouldn't only be about instanced combat, that type of thinking is why we've ended up with Shadowlands and Garrisons.

Kiting was disruptive as I've already said, but it definitely did made the world more dynamic and magical - like anything could happen. I liken it to the Fel Reaver sneaking up behind you while questing. A temporary annoyance that was unpredictable, but based on human behavior.

Thousands of comments (and over 2 million views) saying they miss the spontaneity or when the world was more alive compared to people off on their own or in instances. So no, your opinion is not the only one that matters and if you didn't like that a giant dragon or enemy faction leader could make it into a city, there were other options where you could sit alone and get on with your auctioning
    Sure, the game was super fun when you were exploring and interacting with the world... For the first year of vanilla. Then the world was explored, there was nothing new to find and nothing interesting happening anywhere.

I couldn't really care less about a video with people fantasizing about the past. I look back at high school really fondly, but I know that I have no desire to to go back to school. Same can be said about vanilla, sure it was fun at the time and I enjoyed it, but there's a reason classic servers are all dying out, it's not nearly as fun as people remember it being because this type of "Go out in the world and explore!!!" only works when the content is actually fresh, which it hasn't been in 18 years.

Sure, the game was super fun when you were exploring and interacting with the world... For the first year of vanilla. Then the world was explored, there was nothing new to find and nothing interesting happening anywhere.
    You have a terrible habit of spouting your opinion as if it is a fact. What you find fun others may not and vice versa.

The video is from Cataclysm, by the way, 6 years after Vanilla, but go off on how no one could have possibly found older World of Warcraft zones fun after the first year.

Happy new year to you.

Quote Originally Posted by supermany2 View Post
    I miss Glyphes that actually do something. It was such a cool new Profession in WotLK. But got worse and worse with every new expansion. Now it is pretty much useless.

I don't really care if they bring glyphs back or not, doesn't bother me if I need to buy them once and forget they exist. But dont pretend like the system was anything interesting. You could probably count on the fingers of a single hand the number of truly interesting glyphs in the entire game. Most of them were as useless as current glyphs or simply boring set it and forget it choices.

I am fine with that. But then again, I also want meta gems, shoulder/leg enchants from LW/Tailoring, more enchantable slots in general, gear to have natural sockets instead of procs or adding sockets to specific slots. I am sure many people don't want those things because its just adding more steps you have to do to min/max but damn I miss some of the more basic RPG elements like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmo champ stealing icy vein posts…

Healers could very easily win this, because you got a buff for every player that died which you attacked.

As Priest, you just went in, tagged a few people, then you got super strong when those died and win the thing.
    Sitting out in the corner was setting yourself up for failure, because you missed the buff.

I won the thing on the 3rd attempt as ele, and ele far from a good 1v1 class.
    Kiting was incredibly dumb. If the only way you can kill a mob is by kiting it through an entire zone then clearly you aren't supposed to kill that mob. It serves no real purpose, if anything it was just obnoxious because it made mobs take longer to reset in certain situations.
    Speak for yourself, i enjoyed doing elite quests solo on my hunter.

Was fun kiting Elites drakes through the enterity of Badlands so that the Guards at Kargath will finish them, because other classes obviously struggled to solo those quests.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2022-01-03 at 07:27 PM.

It's a combination of the attitude of players like you toward the immersive experience of a true MMORPG and Blizzard designing the game around players like yourself that just want to play their little sandbox M+ and Raid game, which forces them into never ending system upon system MOU based game design, that makes Retail the piece of crap that it is today.

I miss World Defense.
    We used it to locate and kill notorious gankers back in the days, fun times

mobs resetting when you pull them too far away is something that happened long before sharding

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by heldok View Post
    mobs resetting when you pull them too far away is something that happened long before sharding
    technically not quite, the very first iteration of 'layering' or 'sharding' as it is named today was back in WOTLK with 'phasing', fundamentally it's all the same stuff just used in different ways to achieve similar results, and while there was some enemies you could kite for days, most were on hard limit reset points, as a response to stop the 'kazzak' incident from happening again, of course it would occur at later dates infrequently when somebody used a bug or glitch to circumvent the blocks that were in place, but now it's just impossible without hacks or such.

Personally, I don't miss a single one of those things. I don't do PvP and never really have. Kiting I was never any good at.

Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    Personally, I don't miss a single one of those things. I don't do PvP and never really have. Kiting I was never any good at.
    phasing is not sharding

phasing means there is a certain area where you have two versions of it, that can differ in how they look, for example different npcs etc.

sharding means the entire world is the same, it merely separates players up into different versions for performance reasons

it's like dividing a server up into subservers

there is no reason why sharding would cause them to put mobs on leashes, neither would phasing, as the mobs would automatically reset when you leave the phase anyway

the reason for mobs on leashes is that it puts a stop to some exploitation opportunities

is that really one of wow-retails top problems ?

tbh, i would worry more about that (definetely missed) spontaneous freeflow things, that made wow more alive and fun, AFTER

- they fixing the technical aspects of shit like phasing, sharding, or xrealm in general. i dont even start discussing all the non working fucked up behaviours, coming with that shit. or better completely remove all that shit.
    - they fixing their whole fucked up shitty modern game design.
    - they fixing that horrible terrain, SL has. especially Korthia and Maw. you stuck at every second plant…
    - they fixing that thousands of shittty beta software bugs.

in short: yeah, wow in these times were better, imo. totally agree. but today i just would be happy if they even fix the shit they have, and get back some quality, tbh.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2022-01-04 at 12:23 AM.

Imagine posting this knowing full well you've either never participated or are just that bad at the game that you hold these beliefs

Rogues couldn't even use stealth and healers often won this shit because they could survive til the end and rake up the stacking buff from killing people

If you don't have any experience no one is forcing you to form an opinion on this stuff, bud.

You're the type of player that Blizzard will be forever chasing, occasionally catching, but never holding on to.

The game has changed continually over the years for fear of people like you becoming tired with X, Y, or Z.

I'm not saying this list of old, "forgotten" features is a bible of things that need to come back... but really, Blizz pays WAY too much attention to people with very short attention spans and wildly fluctuating wants. I think the list of scrapped features and content by now is way, way longer than what's actually available and consistent in the game and we've lost some good stuff along the way.

Bad systems should die but the judgment of "this is bad, this is bullshit" gets thrown around WAY too easily and often. We've gone from a supermarket with deli, bakery, and butcher counters to a tiny bodega you can only buy prepackaged sandwiches, one type of apple, and boxed mac & cheese at.