Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

[Speculation] 10.0 Announcement

Expansions having traditionally been announced at blizzcon, which won't be happening this year, how do you all think it will be announced this time around?

I think it would be a great opportunity by blizzard to spice up the announcement somehow.

I know i'm a dreamer, but imagine this:

World first mythic jailer kill unlocks some super encrypted not datamined cinematic which is also the trailer for the next expansion.

This would be so good honestly, rather than a simple "patch preview blue post".

I think my expectations for blizzard are unrealistically high, but a man can dream.
    I 3d print stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    And why should 20 people out of 2+ Million players be rewarded with seeing the new expansion trailer before anyone else? Nah. This game caters to the top 0.1% more than enough. You now want them to cater to the top 0.00001%?? (yes I did that on my calculator app)

Piss off. YouTube or bust

World first achievers are rewarded with tens, perhaps hundreds of thousands of dollars in sponsorship deals. They don’t deserve anything else
    Last edited by Ladey Gags; 2022-01-04 at 01:49 PM.

Also imagine Blizzard having a time schedule for dev interviews/overviews etc but guilds are taking too long to kill the Jailer etc etc

I give it a 0.5/10 chance :P

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They will probably host some sort of private online lesser Blizzcon anyway, with updates and so on.
    I´d guess that´s how it will be.

But I agree that it would be cool to, somehow, find out ingame. But then again, that would trigger a bad experience for most, as avoiding spoilers would be impossible then (different time zones, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Ladey Gags View Post
    And why should 20 people out of 2+ Million players be rewarded with seeing the new expansion trailer before anyone else? Nah. This game caters to the top 0.1% more than enough. You now want them to cater to the top 0.00001%?? (yes I did that on my calculator app)

World first achievers are rewarded with tens, perhaps hundreds of thousands of dollars in sponsorship deals. They don’t deserve anything else
    You do realize that the race to world first with all cinematics is streamed live? So those "millions of people" will be able to see the trailer at the same time as the 20 people? Also the trailer would probably be made public on YT by Blizzard at the same time...

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    You do realize that the race to world first with all cinematics is streamed live? So those "millions of people" will be able to see the trailer at the same time as the 20 people? Also the trailer would probably be made public on YT by Blizzard at the same time...
    I think the sentiment of the post is why are we giving WF players exclusive content that get to experience it live while the rest of us plebes just watch it at home?

The point stands; WoW does enough to cater to the top 1% stop giving them more stuff otherwise more casuals will leave this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Runicblood View Post
    *snip*
    Not the worst idea, as long as them beating it opens it up to the world so we can all appreciate their success.

At minimum, there will be a press release, which requires a schedule, which we'll know about at bare minimum 2 weeks in advance.

What a silly suggestion OP.

In regards to a possible reveal, they'll schedule a livestream for it, as they did for previous patches, Q&As or whatever.

I can see the ending cinematic of Shadowlands directly set-up the next expansion, not too differently from how the ending cinematic of Legion ended with the shot of Sargeras' Sword and Azerite coming out of it. Which directly sets up the conflict over Azerite that is the catalyst for BfA. But they'll release the actual cinematic for next expansion on Youtube.

Expansions having traditionally been announced at blizzcon, which won't be happening this year, how do you all think it will be announced this time around?

I think it would be a great opportunity by blizzard to spice up the announcement somehow.

World first mythic jailer kill unlocks some super encrypted not datamined cinematic which is also the trailer for the next expansion.

I think my expectations for blizzard are unrealistically high, but a man can dream.
    To be perfectly frank--if they did this or something like this it would literally justify everything every casual player has ever said about WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Miffinat0r View Post
    I think the sentiment of the post is why are we giving WF players exclusive content that get to experience it live while the rest of us plebes just watch it at home?

The point stands; WoW does enough to cater to the top 1% stop giving them more stuff otherwise more casuals will leave this game.
    I don't get that. What's the difference between watching a trailer on Youtube (like every other trailer so far, unless you were at Blizzcon) and watching a Trailer on Youtube after a guild defeated a boss the first time? That's not a reward for the 1%, it's a reward for everyone.

Also what stuff do world first raiders get exclusively? A hall of fame entrance, nothing more. Everything else can be farmed later on.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    I don't get that. What's the difference between watching a trailer on Youtube (like every other trailer so far, unless you were at Blizzcon) and watching a Trailer on Youtube after a guild defeated a boss the first time? That's not a reward for the 1%, it's a reward for everyone.

Also what stuff do world first raiders get exclusively? A hall of fame entrance, nothing more. Everything else can be farmed later on.
    It's a reward for them not you, not us, we're not playing--we're watching and knowing that a company is basing their marketing strategy around a group of gamers, who do not have a positive reception to many, is simply unacceptable.

The difference between it being at blizzcon and being locked behind a WF raid is that in the first scenario the people who attend Blizzcon and the people who watch online are treated as equals. Both get the video at the same time. There's nothing to unlock. The company does it work.

Creating a situation like the one you described creates an ascendency among the people who are actually accomplishing the goal. It's catering to them. Imagine if at work your boss said the new PTO policy will be revealed after our lead sales rep finishes this PowerPoint slide. It's hard to not feel that the CEO at that point is favoring the lead salesperson by not only giving them a unique challenge that they can complete, but they have access that impacts the rest of the company. How do you not see this as favoritism? I'd leave that company so fast.

World First Raiders have exclusive access to devs. Listen to Preach, he talks about it a lot. WF raiders have the entire dev team catered to them.

Im pretty sure there is a city ordinance in Irvine banning trailers.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

You got the idea wrong, it's not just those lucky 20 that see it, but it is those lucky 20 that make the rest of the world see it.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a reward for them not you, not us, we're not playing--we're watching and knowing that a company is basing their marketing strategy around a group of gamers, who do not have a positive reception to many, is simply unacceptable.
    ...... .
    I don't see it like this at all honestly. It would be a world wide event that would be triggered by an in game achievement. a reward for everyone, not just them. I see it more towards a gates of ahn'qiraj scenario. It's not like the raid was unlocked only for the select few that managed to finish that event.

edit;

I see there's quite some confusion to what I'm suggesting. I wasn't intending on saying it HAS to be a race to world first cutting edge player thing, but that it would be cool to be something directly related to defeating the in game content.

What i'm saying is maybe not even necessarily tie it into world first, but maybe to the campaign quests. At one point during the campaign-time we, the Maw Walker, defeat the jailer.
    It would be cool to show it off then. Combine the Expansion end cinematic with the Next-Expenasion cinematic.

edit edit;

OBVIOSLY it would immediately be uploaded to youtube at the same time!
    Last edited by Runicblood; 2022-01-04 at 06:34 PM.
    I 3d print stuff

You got the idea wrong, it's not just those lucky 20 that see it, but it is those lucky 20 that make the rest of the world see it.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see it like this at all honestly. It would be a world wide event that would be triggered by an in game achievement. a reward for everyone, not just them. I see it more towards a gates of ahn'qiraj scenario. It's not like the raid was unlocked only for the select few that managed to finish that event.

edit;

I see there's quite some confusion to what I'm suggesting. I wasn't intending on saying it HAS to be a race to world first cutting edge player thing, but that it would be cool to be something directly related to defeating the in game content.

What i'm saying is maybe not even necessarily tie it into world first, but maybe to the campaign quests. At one point during the campaign-time we, the Maw Walker, defeat the jailer.
    It would be cool to show it off then. Combine the Expansion end cinematic with the Next-Expenasion cinematic.

edit edit;

OBVIOSLY it would immediately be uploaded to youtube at the same time!

A better way to do what you're saying would be to select 20 random WoW accounts who do not have any high-end achievements like CE or KSM and then have those players play together through a custom dungeon or questline where they reveal what the next expansion would be.

That would be pretty cool imo. I agree with that. The reason you're getting pushback on the WF front is that to many players the WF crowd has enough as it is. They have the devs ears, they already have a tournament (although I think WF is not sanctioned) but regardless they have the platform and clout, plus all the development the team pours into the game already the majority of dev time is spent on their raids which again makes it seem like you're giving the players who don't need more attention, more attention, and many would interpret that as more of the same from a game who's lead dev was part of a guild called "Elitist Jerks".

A similar reaction would be imagined if instead of Chief Justice swearing in the President; A competition between Bezos, Musk, and Gates were who got to swear in the next President. You see how and why people would be mad about that?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    A similar reaction would be imagined if instead of Chief Justice swearing in the President; A competition between Bezos, Musk, and Gates were who got to swear in the next President. You see how and why people would be mad about that?
    I dont see why said players would be glorified to the level of bearing sworn into presidency. It's just them that push the button to make everything go live.
    I, a casual human, think it would be pretty badass if bezos, musk, and gates had some sort of a competition that would for some reason unlock the next level of earth
    Where is the reason to be mad that it's not me unlocking Life10.0?

idk wat WF is but

A better way to do what you're saying would be to select 20 random WoW accounts

how about make it (after world first) a scenario for all wow players?
    Last edited by Runicblood; 2022-01-04 at 10:51 PM.
    I 3d print stuff

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Someone's salty that they're not in a world-class raiding guild...

You're implying that only the 20 raiders who participated in the kill will see the cinematic on defeating Zovaal. That shit will be broadcasted live on Twitch, clipped and rebroadcasted for everyone to see. Heck, it will probably be reposted to YouTube on the official World of Warcraft channel within a matter of hours after the world-first kill, like all the major expansion cinematics have.

If Blizzard managed to store a heavily encrypted teaser of the next expansion and used that as leverage to drive participation in mythic raiding or to encourage viewers to watch RWF, it would drive huge amounts of viewership, guaranteed.

How is it any different to Square Enix burying a teaser for Birth By Sleep in the secret ending (a Proud Mode or GTFO ending) of Kingdom Hearts II, or for Dream Drop Distance in Re:Coded?
    Last edited by Clbull; 2022-01-04 at 11:08 PM.

This actually sounds like too good of an idea for Blizzard to have anymore.

I honestly think it would be cool if when the Mythic raid was beat, the cinematic is shown and then posted minutes later on Youtube. That would be more of a community event than anything Blizz does anymore.

You do realize that the WF race is live-streamed and they would likely list it on YouTube the moment the raiders clear it just like every cinematic

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember that they made the street date announcment for Warlords at the Ace Theater in L.A. Was well covered by gaming press and was streamed. They don't need a Blizzcon or large gaming convention to do this and they certainly don't need to announce it in game. I can just imagine the P.R. people reacting to the idea of making the announcement dependent on a world-first raid event. It would not be complimentary.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."