Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm currently finishing the Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert. (Book 2 in the Dune franchise)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    I'm currently finishing the Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert. (Book 2 in the Dune franchise)
    They're on my to read after my malazan books and the expanse books

How are you finding them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    They're on my to read after my malazan books and the expanse books

How are you finding them?
    Since i was a long time player of Dune games i find them amusing, but i am reading them slowly.

5+ Year Old Account
    Just finished the dark forest, that was some spell! Have begun on death's end..

I feel like I've been seeing this thread for the last 12-15 years and one of the latest posts will always mention one of three series:

- Malazan
    - Wheel of Time
    - Dune

Just funny how this community recommends the same old books over and over again. And in all those years I haven't sat down to read Wheel of Time yet. Don't think I ever will.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I feel like I've been seeing this thread for the last 12-15 years and one of the latest posts will always mention one of three series:

- Malazan
    - Wheel of Time
    - Dune

Just funny how this community recommends the same old books over and over again. And in all those years I haven't sat down to read Wheel of Time yet. Don't think I ever will.

Yup you've been reading a month old thread for 12 to 15 years. Even the older one we lost was only like 4 years old

You're on a website dedicated to a fantasy game, it isn't surprising that different people will read / recommend the higher rated fantasy books and when you consider that the malazan and WOT are ~ 20 books each and are doorstops, there will be a lot of people reading those books at different times, it's taken me over a month to read that malazan for example.

On the first page of this thread had like 20 non mbotf,wot or dune suggestions

Please keep the negativity out, you risk becoming your signature

Re-reading House of Leaves. Seveneves is up next.

10+ Year Old Account
    On my way to finish Dreams of Steel from The Black Company series

Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    Yup you've been reading a month old thread for 12 to 15 years. Even the older one we lost was only like 4 years old

You're on a website dedicated to a fantasy game, it isn't surprising that different people will read / recommend the higher rated fantasy books and when you consider that the malazan and WOT are ~ 20 books each and are doorstops, there will be a lot of people reading those books at different times, it's taken me over a month to read that malazan for example.

On the first page of this thread had like 20 non mbotf,wot or dune suggestions

Please keep the negativity out, you risk becoming your signature
    You're absolutely -projecting-. None of my post was negative; I made sure it didn't come off that way. I said it was "just funny"; don't let your own issues tilt yourself.

And the book threads have always existed on this forum. Sorry you weren't around in 2008 to see them. Seeing Malazan here in 2008/2009 is how I got into them.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reading a lot:

- I just finished the Giver quartet
    - Re-reading Candy Shop Wars
    - Halfway done with book two of Wheel of Time
    - Starting Dragon Wars after the above

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    On my way to finish Dreams of Steel from The Black Company series
    I love the black company, i think theres a fall off in quality after the original trilogy but still strong 3.5 - 4 stars all.

I only disliked one where the narrator was a bit 'off'

are you enjoying them?

Just finished the first two books of the new Junkyard series. It's a genre I generally avoid (post-apocalyptic),
    but by an author (Faith Hunter) I like. Turned out to be a winner. Neither book is overly long for those who
    are interested.

Just finished Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson

Good book overall, not my favourite in the series and istand by what i said about the problem with the Tiste races. Endest Silann just dragged the book down what a bore

anyway onto Dust of Dreams

10+ Year Old Account
    Been having a blast with The Tales of the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding. Really fun adventure series with sky pirates, deamons, huge steampunk-like planes that function more like submarines in the sky, and one mean old cat named Slag. The biggest plus for me was the crew themselves. I have seen the series compared to Firefly a fair bit and it is apt. It's quite the assortment of characters that have found themselves to the Ketty Jay. They are a really fun and varied bunch. And by the end of the series they each have their own arc and growth. Even the cat!

The series also takes a number of typical pirate tropes and applies them in this new setting. Things like secret pirate havens, ghost ships that either kill you or force you to join the crew forever, mythical lost civilizations of advanced technology, and even the Black Spot becomes an important plot point but in a totally different way than I have seen before. As the series goes, the world is expanded on and our crew stumble into some important events and bump into important people all the while just trying to escape with their lives and freedom to continue to fly the skies.

Loads of fun. Highly recommended.

When I was playing WoW a few weeks ago, I saw someone with the name "Uncletrapsprngr" (or some shit like that). Ended up talking with the person for a good 20 or so minutes about the Dragonlance books, which was a great conversation that rustled my teenage nostalgia for the Dragonlance novels. I just started Dragons of Autumn Twilight yesterday. It's definitely one of my favorite fantasy novels, and the Dragonlance universe is one that I grew up on (I'm in my 40's now, so yeah...like me, it's old).
    It's a pretty easy read and has a decent pace. Fun characters and just an all-around great story in a fantasy setting.

Prior to that I just finished the Harry Potter series, which is fkn amazing. I highly recommend both.

Pillars of the earth - pretty fucking good, didnt know there was a mini series might watch it. Worth reading.
    how fascism works - good primer and broad scope of the dangers we face!
    night watch (discworld) - still working my way through all the discworld books. But they have all been pretty good so far, 29 down.
    Station Eleven - read this recently so can't watch the show, very decent post apocalypse book - the show must go on

gonna read Stasiland and Battle Royal next.

There has just been a reprint of ' The Black Company' in hardback, i received mine maybe 10 minutes ago.

Amazing first trilogy and then great books afterward.

im hoping at least the original trilogy gets a reprint and not just book one

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Rereading the Interdependency Series by Scalzi (he wrote The Old Man's War series).

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Re-reading House of Leaves. Seveneves is up next.
    I'm reading The Three-Body Problem . It's a beautiful book. Honestly, I wasn't attracted to science fiction. But on my friend's advice I started reading it and I have never regretted it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Pillars of the earth - pretty fucking good, didnt know there was a mini series might watch it. Worth reading.
    It is definitely a good book. The follow up (World Without End) gets waaaaay too preachy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bearbanepig View Post
    I'm reading The Three-Body Problem
    I'll have to check this one out, thanks!