Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Thanks for the write-up Kagthul. I guess the tedious part of overclocking is the stress testing part. I imagine you want to run Prime95 for a few hours at least, from what I've read via google, like 12+ hours for certainty?
    Nah, thats for when you're burning in a new cooler and want to make sure it can handle the temps at heat soak.

If an OC is going to be unstable, it wont take more than 20-30 minutes, tops, to reveal it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Nah, thats for when you're burning in a new cooler and want to make sure it can handle the temps at heat soak.

If an OC is going to be unstable, it wont take more than 20-30 minutes, tops, to reveal it.
    Ah okay. I'll give it a go then!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    All I know from my standpoint is that I will be upgrading I7-9700k probably with either 13th gen or 14th gen.

Alder Lake looks really good and 9700k being only 8 cores no HT always tilted me, but it's still a mostly pointless upgrade for me because I'm not really that much of a CPU capped for whatever I do at the moment with my gaming rig. Or rather, I am, but what does it matter if FPS is already triple digit anyway for stuff I usually play.

So dumping ~$1k+ on upgrading already good performance is not the best plan. Thus 13th/14th gen it is when hopefully there will be more modern stuff that actually would need that extra power.
    the only issue with your upgrade plan, is what the GPU market will look at by that point in time, it's rumoured that the 4000 series nvidia set is coming later this year, and it's assumed to follow the same trend as has been 'normal' now for the entire lifespan of the 3000 series, as well as the 6000 series for AMD where unless you're one of the extremely lucky few to get a founders edition card you will not be seeing them at MSRP, and will your budget at that point allow for a GPU upgrade (assuming you don't already have a decent one you can transplant over).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    the only issue with your upgrade plan, is what the GPU market will look at by that point in time, it's rumoured that the 4000 series nvidia set is coming later this year, and it's assumed to follow the same trend as has been 'normal' now for the entire lifespan of the 3000 series, as well as the 6000 series for AMD where unless you're one of the extremely lucky few to get a founders edition card you will not be seeing them at MSRP, and will your budget at that point allow for a GPU upgrade (assuming you don't already have a decent one you can transplant over).
    I already have 3080Ti and it's not going anywhere next 3-4 years. I will only upgrade CPU and mandatory components for that down the road ~2 years from now.