Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Problem with removing time gating is some people will go hardmode 24 hour a day farm and when done spend their days crying on forums about nothing to do.
    Will they though? These people who complain about nothing to do rarely even finish lfr much less mythic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyi View Post
    Blizzard doesnt care about you or Timmy, they just care that you log in everyday.
    oh boy, devs want you to play their game... what a horror...
    and yes, sure they want you to stay subbed bcs of money, but they dont care if you log in every day, as sub is paid monthly...

and there are FAR easier ways to lock this for far longer, hell revered rep will probably take 2weeks, 3 weeks top, so 1 month sub, if they required exalted, locked the rep with raid, and do it like old raids - only bosses give rep since revered, with 250rep per boss, bam, 9 weeks, 3 months sub... and even more from LFR only raiders
    Last edited by Lolites; 2022-01-15 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sucralose View Post
    Then don't raid at that level? All the raiding guilds are on roughly six servers now. If your goal is end game you are already on those realms so finding another guild isn't a big deal.
    The game shouldn't tell you in uncertain terms that you cannot do something by design. This is not good design. That's not to say the alternative is good design either; simply that there are reasons Blizzard chooses to do things that are more complicated than "because fuck you." I think there's a happy medium somewhere in the middle but, imo, demanding for Blizzard to remove all time gating is not a reasonable thing to ask.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cyi View Post
    I say it has nothing to do with Timmy at all, Blizzard cares about nothing beyond time played, not in terms of hours in the day, but rather days in the year. These systems are all designed to force players to keep logging in to stay caught up. They know exactly how long it will take the majority of the player base to finish content, that's why within a week or so of completing a rep, a new patch is being spooled up.

Blizzard doesnt care about you or Timmy, they just care that you log in everyday.
    I do not agree with this cynicism at all. Blizzard gets the same $15/mo if you play 5 minutes or 5,000 minutes. They also know better than anybody on this forum what does and does not keep people subscribed to the game. I don't agree with all the decisions that Blizzard makes to keep players engaged but I also cannot blame them for making decisions guided by data for which nobody on an internet forum would be privy. It's boring to fill in the blanks with "because capitalism," because if the cold hand of capitalism were actually the only thing guiding the developers the game would have died out a decade ago.

I generally think the best compromise on timegating is the 20/80 thing where putting in 20% of the effort gets you 80% of the reward. Or put another way, doing a couple daily for 15min gets you 80% the rep of someone who spends hours grinding.

This is how it was for most of BFA. Going hard on AP only got you a slight edge; doing everything in the invasion zones only got you a tad more resources than someone who only did the invasions, etc. For much of Shadowlands it has seemed like they abandoned that, with Korthia being the major culprit - standing around for hours farming rares and stuff was required to get the rep since most dailies didn't even give research (it is better now but still not amazing imo).

I don't know, I'm frankly also find with weekly caps like SWTOR has for rep, but not daily caps that expect you to play all the time.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    The game shouldn't tell you in uncertain terms that you cannot do something by design. This is not good design. That's not to say the alternative is good design either; simply that there are reasons Blizzard chooses to do things that are more complicated than "because fuck you." I think there's a happy medium somewhere in the middle but, imo, demanding for Blizzard to remove all time gating is not a reasonable thing to ask.

- - - Updated - - -

I do not agree with this cynicism at all. Blizzard gets the same $15/mo if you play 5 minutes or 5,000 minutes. They also know better than anybody on this forum what does and does not keep people subscribed to the game. I don't agree with all the decisions that Blizzard makes to keep players engaged but I also cannot blame them for making decisions guided by data for which nobody on an internet forum would be privy. It's boring to fill in the blanks with "because capitalism," because if the cold hand of capitalism were actually the only thing guiding the developers the game would have died out a decade ago.
    A game should 1000% tell you that you can not do something by design. Imagine playing chess and just deciding a pawn can move in all directions multiple times a turn and take any piece?

What benefit does adding rewards to utter trash content offer players? If you enjoy trash content more power to you but keep it in the trash bin don't spread it all over the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sucralose View Post
    A game should 1000% tell you that you can not do something by design. Imagine playing chess and just deciding a pawn can move in all directions multiple times a turn and take any piece?

What benefit does adding rewards to utter trash content offer players? If you enjoy trash content more power to you but keep it in the trash bin don't spread it all over the floor.
    I was obviously referring to WoW. Your Chess comparison is completely invalid.

Further, what you consider "trash content" is the only content loop for some players. Obviously not all players view this content as trash. There are different viewpoints and it's Blizzard's job to try to placate all of them. They're never going to figure out a system which all players enjoy/approve because such a system is diametrically apposed to itself by virtue of the broad audience this game has.

To be clear as well, I'm not defending all time gating. Some of the implementations Blizzard has had in the past are pretty dogshit. But at the same time, I don't think lambasting the developers for adding time gating mechanics is particularly effective because without some form of limitation on player behavior then degeneracy becomes the only way to play.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    I don't know, I'm frankly also find with weekly caps like SWTOR has for rep, but not daily caps that expect you to play all the time.
    I prefer weekly caps to daily caps. A daily cap presumes you log in every day while a weekly cap may allow you to schedule an extended gaming session on the weekend/day off.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I was obviously referring to WoW. Your Chess comparison is completely invalid.

Further, what you consider "trash content" is the only content loop for some players. Obviously not all players view this content as trash. There are different viewpoints and it's Blizzard's job to try to placate all of them. They're never going to figure out a system which all players enjoy/approve because such a system is diametrically apposed to itself by virtue of the broad audience this game has.

To be clear as well, I'm not defending all time gating. Some of the implementations Blizzard has had in the past are pretty dogshit. But at the same time, I don't think lambasting the developers for adding time gating mechanics is particularly effective because without some form of limitation on player behavior then degeneracy becomes the only way to play.

- - - Updated - - -

I prefer weekly caps to daily caps. A daily cap presumes you log in every day while a weekly cap may allow you to schedule an extended gaming session on the weekend/day off.
    Then separate the players. Those that want to play in trash content can have it all to themselves. Those who want to raid can raid unhindered. Those who would pvp could do the same.

Right now it is like trying to keep the eagle, fox, and rabbit all in the same cage. Sure they all live at the zoo but they don't frequent the same areas.