Poll: Do you think the new RIOT MMORPG will dominate the MMORPG Market?

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ArminVanburkek View Post
    Damn i hate it when all the hype goes down the drain.
    hype for MMO's means nothing tbh. The entire community is so desperate for something that cannot exist that everything gets hyped up not because its good, but out of sheer desperation to not face the truth.

They want a time machine that takes them back to the person they were 10-20 years ago. But that feeling is gone and its never coming back.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    I dont know how sustainable a cosmetics show will be for an MMO, a lot of players would just play for free or if the normally earned gear is ugly, boring or uninspired players would quit. If not then they wont care for cosmetics as much.
    Xmog hunting is a pretty popular task that keeps people playing, if i cant earn cool looking gear from playing and everything is just a stat stick i may lose a little interest.
    Fully funding an MMO with cosmetics might be a disaster, but if it works it works. Riot have great concept art and could make great looking content no doubt.

I dont have a horse in the race either, i dont care if it succeeds or fails. Im sure it will make its money back and would probably even have a dedicated base but id be surprised if it usurps wow. GW2 is an interesting game that many think is a failure because it didnt unseat wow but it has a dedicated playerbase and is still producing new content. Im sure if it were only as successful as GW2 that would be enough, but i suspect it will be bigger from name recognition alone.

Bleeding playerbase towards the end of an expansion that was developed during a very tumultuous time for the company shouldnt be surprising to anyone (covid and the lawsuits and in-house bickering) every end of expansion has a dip, we will see what happens when DF launches, but honestly wow has had a far bigger playerbase than it ever really needed, having a few million players is still a huge success, and for an almost 20 year old game fading into a more niche market is hardly a failure.

Im sure the money grubs will see it as a failure but nothing should be expected to experience infinite growth. The game still has its hooks and still offers an experience people crave, so long as it does and there is new content to play players will play it. There really isnt anything quite like wow on the market and probably never will be again.
    The data in regards to playerbase numbers drop suggest that it's happening for quite some time already, and Shadowlands only accelerated the process. No doubt DF will bring the players to check the new content, it's nothing unusual. Nevertheless, I do believe that negative sentiment around WoW and Blizzard continously drags this game down. In terms of business - I guess it still provides them with monstrous amount of dollars.

WoW is stale, outdated. It's not innovative anymore. And since it became formulaic, there's only so much you can do, before you get bored.

But to be fair. MMORPG is problematic in general. In order for MMORPG to thrive in a long-term, it needs to offer long-term goals with sense of reward being deferred in time. And since the philosophy/ modern model of game-design has shifted to instant-gratification to meet the standard of every-day life, I'm tempted to say that MMORPGs glory is a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    I mean, I can change my post to "One of the" if it makes you feel any better, it doesn't change my point in the slightest. Let me know if that will satisfy you.
    Oh, sorry, did you get called out for an easily verifiable lie and are now trying to pretend like you weren't just pulling drek straight out of your nether region? Even better, that it's somehow everyone else's fault that you were peddling bullshit?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    hype for MMO's means nothing tbh. The entire community is so desperate for something that cannot exist that everything gets hyped up not because its good, but out of sheer desperation to not face the truth.

They want a time machine that takes them back to the person they were 10-20 years ago. But that feeling is gone and its never coming back.
    Wish more people would read this and internalize it lol. Very true. On some level it is a completely understandable impulse, but it's also impossible and pretty much all of this is cope.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87 View Post
    Oh, sorry, did you get called out for an easily verifiable lie and are now trying to pretend like you weren't just pulling drek straight out of your nether region? Even better, that it's somehow everyone else's fault that you were peddling bullshit?
    It's free so it's not really going to be in most sold titles, but isn't it one of if not the most profitable PC game of all time? It was making like a 1.5billion a year or more pretty consistently not long ago. A quick google seems to indicate it is at least close.

I would get hyped for a true VR MMORPG. But I don't think the graphics are quite there yet to pull it off realistically enough. I don't want VR minecraft. The graphics would have to be FFXIV level or better in a true VR environment to be worth it.

Edit: And that doesn't even address the technical issue of raiding in VR.
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

looking promising so far. They have a world to build it on

Well, the game has ~130-150 million average monthly players, the championships always top all streaming platforms in viewers and atleast in 2018, they had over 2000 employees (probably lot more now with more games in development). All that and it being nearly 15 years old by now, it definitely is one of, if not the most played PC game outright. And last i could find is over a billion dollar in revenue each year from 2015-2020

The only other games on PC i can imagine having similar or higher numbers are Minecraft and Roblox

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I'm interested to see if Ghostcrawler can pull off this project. He left Blizzard because he couldn't get as creative as he wanted to be, hopefully this time they will give him more freedom. As if it will become the next king... there is potential, but then again being the king of a dying genre isn't saying much. I could see Ashes of Creation taking the crown instead but it'd be interesting to see how they fare.
    Ghostcrawler was fired from Blizzard for tanking the highly successful TBC/WotLK game he was handed into trash like Cata/MoP/WoD.

Blizzard has spent Legion/BFA/Shadowlands trying to return to the success that Ghostcrawler destroyed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Cautious optimism, I guess.

Riot is very good at what used to be Blizzard's strategy: take something that exists, and make a better version of it with their own stamp on it. They don't have a spotless record, but they're one of the only big players left you can genuinely expect to succeed at a task like this.
    lolno.

Riot's strategy is to find successful games/genres, then make a free to play version for all the people who won't pay monthly subs or $60 sticker prices, and try to make up the money on weeb skins.

They are the PC version of MTX mobile games.

This approach is likely to fail spectacularly with an MMORPG, because the costs are so high that F2PMTX doesn't work very well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    the fanebase is completly irelevant if the game isnt atleast decent,look at new world,had one of the biggest starting succes we seen for an mmo in a long time,it still died because its a joke worse than fallout76 on launch
    New World may have survived for a bit if they didn't allow item dupes and infinite currency glitches to run rampant for days and then do nothing about it.

Compare to issues with the recent AH change where Blizzard locked down the AH and fixed stuff basically immediately.

New World was a small indie company.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    New World was a small indie company.
    unironicaly it is likely,the game studio isnt amazon rich,it doesnt have that much money behind it,and considering how barebones the game is,i doubt they spent a lot on it,i hear amazon is puting 500m a year on games,but that is for everything not just new world

Ghostcrawler was fired from Blizzard for tanking the highly successful TBC/WotLK game he was handed into trash like Cata/MoP/WoD.
    You act as if game design was the sole determinator of WoW's meteoric rise and fall. It was not. When WoW launched it came in a pre-social media era where the idea of playing online with other people was still a novelty. Finding random people over the internet to play the same game as you was impossible. WoW was the most accessible and mainstream online game of its time so if you were interested in playing an online game, you played WoW. By the 2010s people's available options had become quite diverse, and people had figured out how to find other online communities, so if you want to play an online game you weren't limited to just playing WoW. Same reason why radio rose and fell, or the theaters rose and fell, or television rose and fell. Warcraft's powermetal aesthetics stopped being in vogue at the turn of the decade. It's no surprise that stuff like Minecraft and anime with feminized designs started becoming trendy while Warcraft was on its way out the door. Even if WoW's game design was hypothetically amazing, WoW still couldn't avoid the other societal forces that were at work.

- - - Updated - - -

Blizzard has spent Legion/BFA/Shadowlands trying to return to the success that Ghostcrawler destroyed.
    Legion/BFA/Shadowlands wasn't trying to appeal to people who aren't already playing WoW. It was trying to milk the existing playerbase as much as possible, knowing that WoW was on the way out and that its days were numbered. Legion/BFA/Shadowlands was managed decline.

Depends on what you consider "big".

Big like WoW once was? No. The market conditions for that no longer exist.

Big as in... competing with the top mmorpg's? Perhaps.
    I personally have not liked what i heard and it seems to be taking a competitive e-sports style and i think that will put it in the same declining audience as WoW.
    Mmorpg's can do so much now. They have great storytelling, solo play, music and group play. To bet on only one of those aspects is to set up for fail.

Sweet, we get to start speculating three years out without seeing a single video or knowing anything about it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Depends on what you consider "big".

Big like WoW once was? No. The market conditions for that no longer exist.

Big as in... competing with the top mmorpg's? Perhaps.
    I personally have not liked what i heard and it seems to be taking a competitive e-sports style and i think that will put it in the same declining audience as WoW.
    Mmorpg's can do so much now. They have great storytelling, solo play, music and group play. To bet on only one of those aspects is to set up for fail.
    With the western release, Lost Ark claims to have 20million players globally. I’d say the market is still ripe for the right type of mmorpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Straight forward question, do you think the new Riot MMORPG that will be coming out in 2024/2025 will be the new "King" of MMORPGS ?
    Riot has one of the biggest fan base around, people are tired on how bad the MMORPG market is right now and are screaming for something new.

People love the LoL universe and probably wanna live inside one too, do you think their fanbase is gonna make the MMORPG market explode again?

Do you think Riot will be able to pull of the next new hit and will be like WoW once was, such a big MMORPG that it will make most MMORPG's look like nothing?
    they've been establishing the lore for a few years now, obviously as a lead up for the mmo. I'm kinda stoked for it, definitely gonna check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scramjet View Post
    If it has Wildstar's combat system I'll play it until I die.
    ^^ One can only hope

Quote Originally Posted by Theangryone View Post
    With the western release, Lost Ark claims to have 20million players globally. I’d say the market is still ripe for the right type of mmorpg
    I think with MMOs you shouldn't look at the release, you should look at the game 6-12 months later if you want to measure its success.
    As much as hardcores always say that the endgame is "the real game", MMOs always seem to pull in huge numbers during the leveling phase and lose most of them on the way and when they reach endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    I think with MMOs you shouldn't look at the release, you should look at the game 6-12 months later if you want to measure its success.
    As much as hardcores always say that the endgame is "the real game", MMOs always seem to pull in huge numbers during the leveling phase and lose most of them on the way and when they reach endgame.
    Indeed, i bet most people who play WoW actually enjoy the leveling and social aspects of the game. Raiding guilds always has made me feel that im just an employee to the guild.

People enjoy being social in WoW so much that whenever given the chance they simply do not talk or interact at all.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    People enjoy being social in WoW so much that whenever given the chance they simply do not talk or interact at all.
    I wanted to like FFXIV but just cant stand the art style. That game has social community with manners.

I don't know what you're talking about.

Whether LoL is the most popular videogame ever or not is irrelevant to my point, because it's still extremely popular. That was my point. The K/DA music video had half a billion views on youtube for example, one music video has more views than all the cinematics Blizzard has ever put on youtube.

Maybe it is not the most played game on PC, but it's still insanely popular and the masses will check out its MMO. It's not some obscure IP.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2022-09-07 at 02:10 PM.

I like turtles