Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Should their be personal challenges to unlock content?

I recall the proving ground in WoD that while slightly tedious really did improve the queue experience for most players but what if we applied something similar to all group content?

What if to raid mythic you had to complete a mage tower with a preset character? Then an easier version for heroic, normal, lfr?

It would help show groups that you have conquered something roughly at the level of play needed to succeed in group content and might really help new players break out of the raider io bottleneck the game currently has.

I admit I can't really see how it would work out for mythic plus... maybe a new challenge every 5 keystone levels?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaneo View Post
    What if to raid mythic you had to complete a mage tower with a preset character?
    This might break the thriving boosting industry, hence it isn't going to happen anytime soon. It would be asinine anyway though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I recall the proving ground in WoD that while slightly tedious really did improve the queue experience for most players but what if we applied something similar to all group content?

What if to raid mythic you had to complete a mage tower with a preset character? Then an easier version for heroic, normal, lfr?

It would help show groups that you have conquered something roughly at the level of play needed to succeed in group content and might really help new players break out of the raider io bottleneck the game currently has.

I admit I can't really see how it would work out for mythic plus... maybe a new challenge every 5 keystone levels?
    Yes. There needs challenges specified for playstyle (sneaking, healing, tanking, profession controlled or not, etc), as well as scaled content like Torghast but better handled in the side of rewards and progress. Spread various scenarios around the world.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account

I don't mind/I don't care. I don't raid.

However, for casual content, there is already the notion of unlocking stuff. It might be tied to a difficulty challenge or à time "challenge" (unlock x after y weeks).
    Last edited by Baine; 2022-02-20 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    This might break the thriving boosting industry, hence it isn't going to happen anytime soon. It would be asinine anyway though.
    It wouldn't break the boosting industry, it would just promote account sharing for gold or real money. That's what happened with Green Fire, and that was just a cosmetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Yeah, that sounds fun. You want to play with your friends, but one of them is a slacker. Nice person, but not good at the game. Still, you've played with them for 10 years now and they have always been on time to the raid, provided feasts or cauldrons, because they make up for their lack of skill through farming.
    And now you come along with a system, that forbids this player from even entering a raid, even though their presence hasn't been a problem for 10 years.

This idea sounds like it comes from someone with no social skills at all.
    Raiding is not just about personal performance. Also there are plenty of people that play better in a raid when they are told what to do, than if they play on their own. Not to mention these challenges would be easy on some classes while difficult on others, like Torghast and Mage tower have been.
    The proving grounds were fine for automated queued content. But the concept does not work at all in a player controlled environment. At best you could make it a voluntary thing to display more information raid/group leaders. But that's pretty much the same as rIO, just less good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    It wouldn't break the boosting industry, it would just promote account sharing for gold or real money. That's what happened with Green Fire, and that was just a cosmetic.
    Account sharing doesn't need promoting, it has been a problem since Vanilla.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    off topic : shouldn't the topic be like '' should there be... '' instead of '' should their be... '' ? i am not a native speaker, asking out of curiosity.

on topic : when it comes to personal challenges, MoP style '' proven x '' is a bit dull and mage tower is cheesable in more than one way. people are smart. i don't know how to implement such a thing without it become obsolete / chore-like / dull so i am kinda %50-%50 on that.

i welcome a real challenge, however. '' how '' is not my area of expertise.
    war does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntermyth View Post
    off topic : shouldn't the topic be like '' should there be... '' instead of '' should their be... '' ? i am not a native speaker, asking out of curiosity.

on topic : when it comes to personal challenges, MoP style '' proven x '' is a bit dull and mage tower is cheesable in more than one way. people are smart. i don't know how to implement such a thing without it become obsolete / chore-like / dull so i am kinda %50-%50 on that.

i welcome a real challenge, however. '' how '' is not my area of expertise.
    You are correct that was an oversight.

99.9% of players do not play WoW to be challenged.
    If you don't want scrubs in your content go join a decent guild.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    99.9% of players do not play WoW to be challenged.
    If you don't want scrubs in your content go join a decent guild.
    Wouldn't that lead a slow building collapse in a sub game if most players simply want to exist without any personal goals ?

I can kind of get that I did buy VR head set and there isn't really any challenging games for it. That said what games I do play on it I engage with the content of said game.

Quote Originally Posted by LTN View Post
    Wouldn't that lead a slow building collapse in a sub game if most players simply want to exist without any personal goals ?

I can kind of get that I did buy VR head set and there isn't really any challenging games for it. That said what games I do play on it I engage with the content of said game.
    Personal goals and being challenged can be very different things.

What we have is a history where every time Blizzard tried to increase the base difficulty or test people before allowing them to do content it has been an abject failure. Be it more difficult Dungeons or Proving Grounds.
    Additionally we have devs outright coming up and saying that if you put a wall infront of players most will not try to overcome the challenge, they will just quit instead.

You like to be challenged, I like to be challenged. Millions of others have made it clear they do not.

I'd be fine with Proving Grounds gold unlocking queueable M+0.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Personal goals and being challenged can be very different things.

What we have is a history where every time Blizzard tried to increase the base difficulty or test people before allowing them to do content it has been an abject failure. Be it more difficult Dungeons or Proving Grounds.
    Additionally we have devs outright coming up and saying that if you put a wall infront of players most will not try to overcome the challenge, they will just quit instead.

You like to be challenged, I like to be challenged. Millions of others have made it clear they do not.
    I honestly think it is because they wanted to cater to that crowd that it started. The mindset of early wow was drastically different to today's wow. It is part of the reason why it feels like 2 different games at end game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Random queue is just that. If you don't like the possibility of being queue'd with bad players, there are ways to avoid that already.

Quote Originally Posted by LTN View Post
    I honestly think it is because they wanted to cater to that crowd that it started. The mindset of early wow was drastically different to today's wow. It is part of the reason why it feels like 2 different games at end game.
    I thought we dispelled the illusion that early WoW was 'difficult' with Classic.

40 people with 10 braincells between them will eventually clear Molten Core.

hahaha can you imagine how much the community would whine if devs locked content behind /gasp/ actually having skill??

I personally would love it, I always loved the various solo challenges that wow offers, but I understant that I am an oddity in this and that the forum posting majority would absolutely seethe at the idea of something like this

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    No. That is a horrible idea. I shouldn’t be forced to do a type of content I don’t like in order to do a type of content I do.

Edit: *there
    Last edited by MrLachyG; 2022-02-20 at 10:29 PM.

Nah. The difficulty of the content that people are trying to do should be the challenge unto itself, imo.

If more proving grounds like stuff was just something for people to do, like content that exists by its own virtue, by all means, absolutely. I'd be stoked for stuff like that. But as soon as that content becomes a hurdle that people are actually, legitimately forced to clear in order to do the content that they really want to do, it becomes a problem that doesn't need to exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    I completely get it that guilds no longer bring in people and train them up but if Blizzard were to encourage anything it should be that instead of doing something like this.

The idea should be to make more people interested in raiding, not locking people out with yet more barriers. This is a remarkably bad idea in that it would limit the audience for raids even further.

In a time of allocating fewer resources to content the last thing needed is to reduce the attractiveness and accessibility of raiding.

Furthermore: Don't pug. Find or start a guild and build a team.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."