Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I remember seeing posts predict Legion and BFA here, a couple days before announcement. They weren't any of those silly, attention-seeking "my dad's uncle's friend's grandson works at Ninten- Blizzard and gave me all the lavish details of the latest xpack that take up 2 pages!" affairs but short and to the point description of the expansion's name, theme and major features buried in between two other posts. The Shadowlands name and theme was predicted by many but the actual expansion and its features weren't, not by any I saw anyway.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Every expansion was leaked before announcement, even if just mere hours from an actual announcement at the shortest.

When information has to be prepared, packages to the media sent, actual physical advertisement items for the conventions printed and prepared, t-shirts stamped, anyone spotting something on the convention preparation, or whatever it is that makes said information leave the developers and the company itself, it just made it inevitable.

Sometimes it was known days in advance, where most it was the day-off.

That said, since there isn't a Blizzcon this year, it should be a lot harder to have a proper leak, but there's always something.

Hell, maybe they'll send some leaks themselves to gauge player interest regarding some aspects of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Like we see them popping up at a mass rate atm. But has there ever been an expansion leak that was exactly how it turned out to be?
    If so which expansion was that ?
    Yes, many.

The first two weren't much of a secret but Wrath's name trademark leaked far in advance.

Cata was inadvertantly leaked when someone on the dev team accidentally pushed a PTR build that included Goblin and Worgen masks for hollow's end about a month before the announcement, and then hey had to scramble and add a bunch of fake masks to try and convince people it was nothing. About a week before announcement there were also major leaks on the expansion, details of the revamp, new class-race combos, etc.

MoP trademark leaked a couple months in advance.

In the couple weeks leading up to WoD, major details about the expansion were leaked from several sources. It was also leaked in riddle-form by some Chinese posters on NGA prior to that, including details that ended up being cut like Shattrath being a raid and Karabor being a friendly city.

Legion, likewise was leaked in vague riddle form, including that Demon Hunters would be a class that could DPS and tank but not Heal, that players would be getting new importance/titles, Alleria and Turalyon would be back, Gul'dan would be midtier, Vol'jin would no longer be warchief, Nathanos would be an important figure, Ashbringer would be involved, the Silver Hand, Naga and the Wardens. There were also additional details a couple days before.

BfA leaks slipped under the radar, but there were some in the couple weeks leading up to Blizzcon, including basic plot details.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    There have been, but many are 'take with a grain of salt'.

I remember there was that one 'chinese' leaker who leaked Legion through a whole bunch of ambiguous riddles. In a certain way, everything was correct. In another way, everything was so up-to-interpretation that anyone can reasonably dismiss them all too.

Like the riddles talked about Demon Hunters and Illidan. Sure, got that right. Talked about being a commander. Well, that happened with Order Halls. But that's also loose enough to be skeptical about, since you never actually become a commander of anything, and just because it talked about Demon Hunters or Illidan could have just as easily been a lucky guess.

So really, it depends on what you believe in terms of any leak being 'correct'.
    The word you're looking for is "Barnum Statement"—the entire sequence of riddles were Barnum Statements, which are statements devised as such that someone could interpret them in any way, and there's a good likelihood that at least a substantial amount of them will appear to be correct. They're statements which are inherently vague and rely on the person being interrogated to come to hasty conclusions about their meanings, allowing the orator to continuously exploit the gullibility of the person reading or hearing them. It's used by all sorts of hacks and psychics to convince people they know more about them than they do, and in a more benign way, some magicians may make use of them for the sake of entertainment rather than trickery.

It's all very simple use of ambiguous phrasing and loose statements—with the extraneous information they had, it would've been very easy for the supposed leaker to make a sequence of statements about the upcoming expansion without actually saying much of substance.

I'll just also add to this thread that a low quality pic of a male draenei in GM gear was posted on the official WoW forums very shortly before release and people denied it up and down because playable Eredar sounded too insane.

I pretty sure WoD was leaked.

I remember the general "Time traveling orcs? Fuck off " Vibe

5+ Year Old Account
    I remember MoP, WoD & BFA being leaked some weeks before their official reveal.
    Be loyal to what matters - Arthur Morgan

NX Friend Code: SW-0102-0077-4738

7+ Year Old Account
    last 3 expansions got leaked

before too, but it was like a days before the announcement because people could sneakpeek at blizzcon when they were making the stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Like we see them popping up at a mass rate atm. But has there ever been an expansion leak that was exactly how it turned out to be?
    If so which expansion was that ?
    SL one was very accurate. At that point it really seemed, that somebody from Blizzard themselves was leaking it, so all their BlizzCon announcements were just pointless.

Overall you should understand, that leaks are usually fall into "forgotten new iPhone" category, i.e. planted by devs themselves in order to build hype via adding some rumor effect. Devs also want to see players' reaction. Problem is: Wow's story becomes more and more obvious, because it really seems like they have some very long term plan, like "implement all Warcraft RTS campaign missions as xpacks". It makes next xpacks very predictable, except may be filler ones, that are added as little side storied just to buy some time. WOD for example.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Every single expansion had at least one accurate leak. In some cases they even leaked months before announcement (wod and legion) and (mop and SLs name)

Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    The word you're looking for is "Barnum Statement"—the entire sequence of riddles were Barnum Statements, which are statements devised as such that someone could interpret them in any way, and there's a good likelihood that at least a substantial amount of them will appear to be correct. They're statements which are inherently vague and rely on the person being interrogated to come to hasty conclusions about their meanings, allowing the orator to continuously exploit the gullibility of the person reading or hearing them. It's used by all sorts of hacks and psychics to convince people they know more about them than they do, and in a more benign way, some magicians may make use of them for the sake of entertainment rather than trickery.

It's all very simple use of ambiguous phrasing and loose statements—with the extraneous information they had, it would've been very easy for the supposed leaker to make a sequence of statements about the upcoming expansion without actually saying much of substance.
    Did some digging. This is roughly the one I was talking about. Can't find the MMO source yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...m_mmochampion/

A lot is ambiguous and shotty, but the key ones that matched up were predicting Gul'dan would be back (wasn't super obvious from WoD ending that he'd be appearing immediately again), there being a new Hero class, the focus being on Demons and the mentions of various character storylines, and the importance of the player character with new titles. Some of it could easily be random guessing, but it hits the mark enough that it could've been a legitimate leak.

A lot of the things they got wrong though really make this hard to tell though, whether it was internal stuff being planned (Tyr surviving) or just straight up bullshit.

-edit-

Found it.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-chinese-forum

It's ambiguous, but I still lean on them having some legit information. Some of this hits so on-the-mark with Legion that it's hard to write off as mere coincidence.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-01-15 at 05:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiivar86 View Post
    It isn't every leak, but this spreadsheet collected close to 90 of ones for Shaowlands and none of them were correct.
    Damn dedication though! Impressive

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seasz View Post
    Every single expansion had at least one accurate leak. In some cases they even leaked months before announcement (wod and legion) and (mop and SLs name)
    I remember Blizzard leaked WoD by accident in MoP at Blizzcon i think? before releasing it :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

1+ Year Old Account
    WoD got leaked in 2013, BfA and Shadowlands were leaked a few days before an official announcement. Doubt the new expansion will get leaked as the last two were, since it will probably be announced via a livestream or something. We don't have a Blizzcon this year so... yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    half of bfa leaks were disgustingly true, i was sure no way that blizz is that retard and what u know, Danasur really turned his waifu to supreme evil who plays 9d chess
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    I can't remeber honestly, but 90% input is false anyways. Still i love people's visions about things, especially in wow.
    love WoWarcraft

About 80% of Cataclysm leaked really early. Even before the leaks SoL datamined the Goblin and Worgen masks. The list of new race-class combos was also datamined. There were also fake leaks, like "Malfurion would make Thrall the new Guardian of Tirisfal". But most of it was true. One thing I don't remember leaking was Deathwing. We all thought it would be Azshara.

Mists of Pandaria was known because of a trademark filing. So people deduced that Pandaren would be playable. However most of us thought that the new class would be Brewmaster, not Monk. So it wasn't a big leak. After the announcement Blizzard held a press event with an NDA, so that it could only be published after a certain date. I don't think anything leaked from there.

"Iron Horde" stuff was datamined quite long before WoD. Warlords leaked a couple of days or maybe a week before it was announced. Unfortunately it was leaked as a time-travel expansion rather than the AU expansion it turned out to be. Which I think did it a disservice. "Iron Horde" stuff was datamined.

Legion didn't leak at all, as far as I remember. People deduced it would be a Burning Legion based expansion because of where WoD left off, but nobody knew. I remember being surprised it was just named "Legion" - I expected a longer title. People were making posts like "5 Reasons Demons Hunter will never be playable" and that thread was active right up to the announcement.

The name BFA leaked very shortly before BlizzCon. Again there was more datamining than leaking. Kul Tiran and Zandalari armor sets were discovered as were Allied Races.

Everybody knew that Shadowslands would be the 8th expansion. There were very clear indications of a death based expansion during BFA.

Personally I think that trademark filings and datamining are more reliable than leaks. I currently have a wowhead tab open with some datamined information that could be about 10.0. Haven't read it yet.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    WoD: https://www.engadget.com/2013-07-15-...patch-5-4.html
    BFA: https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...as_isles_hint/
    Shadowlands: Multiple leaks got the name of the expansion correct.
    shadowlands was cause the name got trademarked.

the most common leaks we have are trademark leaks, where blizzard trademarks something then people see that and make leaks based off the name, its how we got the "eye of azshara" expansion leak.

also we have gotten some actual acidental leaks from blizz

wotlk we datamined the new updated halloween update, and of all the masks 2 of them were weirdly super high quality and did not match the normal ingame models. Worgen and goblin.

with wod we datamined a set called legion leveling leather. also fun fact wod there was a few glaive weapon icons that went completely unnoticed.

with BFA during legion we datamined a set, the cloth kultiras leveling set which funnily shows an actual map on it with old god tendrils so... yeah.

wotlk and shadowlands alos both had big leaks but they were literally only days before blizzcon.

we have pretty much had every expansion "leak" although most of them its just a couple things only days before the reveal, not like weeks/months before hand.
    the ones that have been weeks/months beforehand are just names, and those come up because of trademarks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    the 4chan shadowlands one was correct.
    which shadowlands 4chan leak?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    Yup there was a thread some months before the Shadowlands was announced where a guy leaked and everyone clowned him and then when it was announce they came back to that thread and kissed his ass.
    got a link?
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2022-01-17 at 11:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

No, never. Ofc there were some small bits here and there when some data mining went wrong of press material got published by accident, but non of those "This is whats going to happen next" threads ever was correct.

Yes, sometimes they make a list for 100 things thats going to happen and 2 are hits an people claim "THEY KNEW ALL ALONG" but obv its just coincidence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    shadowlands was cause the name got trademarked.

the most common leaks we have are trademark leaks, where blizzard trademarks something then people see that and make leaks based off the name, its how we got the "eye of azshara" expansion leak.

also we have gotten some actual acidental leaks from blizz

wotlk we datamined the new updated halloween update, and of all the masks 2 of them were weirdly super high quality and did not match the normal ingame models. Worgen and goblin.

with wod we datamined a set called legion leveling leather. also fun fact wod there was a few glaive weapon icons that went completely unnoticed.

with BFA during legion we datamined a set, the cloth kultiras leveling set which funnily shows an actual map on it with old god tendrils so... yeah.

wotlk and shadowlands alos both had big leaks but they were literally only days before blizzcon.

we have pretty much had every expansion "leak" although most of them its just a couple things only days before the reveal, not like weeks/months before hand.
    the ones that have been weeks/months beforehand are just names, and those come up because of trademarks.

- - - Updated - - -

which shadowlands 4chan leak?

- - - Updated - - -

got a link?
    Unfortunately I don't, but oh boy there was a lot I told you so going on in it.
    Edit: Wrong expansion it wasn't for Shadowlands it was for BFA.
    Last edited by Dellis0991; 2022-01-17 at 06:42 PM.