Page 1 of 80
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Crisis in UK, Can Tories Save Liz Truss?

Something tells me Boris Johnson's plan to sack a load of of officials so that he can keep his own job isn't going to work out quite the way he expects.

Boris Johnson is drawing up a list of officials to offer resignations over partygate in a bid to salvage his premiership, The Independent has learned.
    Dubbed “Operation Save Big Dog” by the prime minister himself, the blueprint includes a drive to work out which heads should roll following the publication of senior official Sue Gray’s findings, as well as highlighting the prime minister’s achievements, according to sources. Officials have also started using the codename, The Independent understands.
    Dan Rosenfield, Boris Johnson’s chief of staff, and Martin Reynolds, his private secretary and author of the ‘BYOB’ email, have both been noted as possible departures.
    While putting names to the plan is a matter of hot debate, a more broadly accepted idea is that at least one senior political appointee and a senior official must be seen to leave Downing Street over the affair, as both groups share blame, two Whitehall sources said.
    A former Tory cabinet minister told The Independent that, although they backed Mr Johnson, they believed a “root and branch” overhaul of No 10 and parts of the Cabinet Office would prove essential to move on from partygate. It would be a “bare minimum to translate contrition into action”, they said.

Will this One Neat Trick really work on the British voters?
    Also heard rumors that Jezza wants to form a breakaway party. Will further dilution of the Left save Johnson?

I'll take: "Why is it impossible for modern conservatives to accept any responsibility for anything?" for $1,000, Alex.

only things that can get rid of boris is

1. Recall elections = not going to happen
    2. Tory party booting him = maybe but all he has to do is say fuck off and they wont. When he won his majority he purged most independent minded folk and filled the party with bootlickers. And who the fuck they replacing him with? Sunak? Truss? or murdochs man Gove? Tom Tugendhat is probably the sensible choice but hes a lightweight.

Will further dilution of the Left save Johnson?
    'the left' hasn't had any tangible power in the UK in decades.

10+ Year Old Account
    So they are willing to dig this deep just to cover-up the chinese fox in their henhouse? This poor attempt is a disgrace worse then the 'partygate' itself

I doubt throwing your underlings under the bus will work if anything he is digging that hole deeper.

Also, the name is a bit on the nose, innit? Like, are they this lacking in imagination/creativity?

10+ Year Old Account
    "Operation Save Big Dog" sounds like something you'd hear on a Saturday Morning Cartoon
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I doubt throwing your underlings under the bus will work if anything he is digging that hole deeper.
    Throwing underlings under the bus is page one of the conservative manual.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    "Operation Save Big Dog" sounds like something you'd hear on a Saturday Morning Cartoon
    Honestly, at first I thought it was for the apparel brand for a hot second - https://www.bigdogs.com/

Absolutely nothing will come of this.

If anything a few more Tories who have something resembling a backbone and sense of decency will kill their own political career trying to reign in Bojo. Bojo and his ilk will be fine and will carry on with their utter incompetence while draping themselves in the Union Jack and yelling about Brexit.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    only things that can get rid of boris is

1. Recall elections = not going to happen
    2. Tory party booting him = maybe but all he has to do is say fuck off and they wont.
    There is also option 3, the Queen tells him to tender his resignation by the end of the week or she will dissolve the current government thus triggering a general election. But I'm fairly certain that would never happen as she's far too traditional, even if he is the worst prime minister in living history and a global embarrassment for the country I doubt she would want to be the first monarch to do it since queen Anne (IIRC).

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes yes, send Boris to the naughty centre.

I feel bad, when in 12 years she realizes not enough young people bother to vote to keep Tories out of power.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Throwing underlings under the bus is page one of the conservative manual.
    It's actually the manual for people in power everywhere. Sure, if you want conservatives do it more, but this one doesn't have party/ideological affiliation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Boris Johnson recieving a lot of flack from the press… what to do, what to do…

Cut BBC funding, I guess.

https://amp.theguardian.com/media/20...funding-frozen

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    Boris Johnson recieving a lot of flack from the press… what to do, what to do…

Cut BBC funding, I guess.

https://amp.theguardian.com/media/20...funding-frozen
    Is this a Brexit Benefit(TM)?

I'm sure @dribbles has a brilliant take on this and why it's great for England.
    “There you stand, the good man doing nothing. And while evil triumphs, and your rigid pacifism crumbles to blood stained dust, the only victory afforded to you is that you stuck true to your guns.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Is this a Brexit Benefit(TM)?
    It's a "Say nice things about the Bojo, it's in your best interest..."
    Can't wait for Rupert Murdick to buy in if they privatize it.
    Will they keep calling it the BBC?
    Help a Poopy out, what relevant W word can they put in place of "Broadcasting" to make themselves feel better?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    There is also option 3, the Queen tells him to tender his resignation by the end of the week or she will dissolve the current government thus triggering a general election. But I'm fairly certain that would never happen as she's far too traditional, even if he is the worst prime minister in living history and a global embarrassment for the country I doubt she would want to be the first monarch to do it since queen Anne (IIRC).
    Unless I'm mistaken William IV also tried to appoint a PM without Parlaiament's support. That would have been around the Reform Act.

So BoJo now says that nobody warned him about drinks not being allowed

Boris Johnson has "categorically" denied he was warned a drinks party in the No 10 garden risked breaking lockdown rules.

"Nobody warned me that it was against the rules," the prime minister said, adding: "I would have remembered that."

Former aide Dominic Cummings says he warned Mr Johnson at the time, and has accused him of misleading MPs about it.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-60039868

P.S.
    Yeah, where is Dribbles?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Boris is gone. He may be PM for now, but nobody believes he'll be there for any length of time now.

It's possible they are hanging on in case more horror stories come out about the drinking culture and flaunting of rules from last year. No point sacking him now if the next PM is then going to take the flak. Better to use him as a lightning rod, then remove him at an opportune moment. I suspect they wanted to wait until the local elections in May, so they could blame him for that and then get a new person in with a chance to pretend it was all sorted with the General Election still a couple of years off. But now I don't see how he can last that long.

The options for his replacement are hilarious. Idiots all, and none of them particularly popular with the voters. Fingers crossed we see them out of power for a decade once all is said and done; god knows the sleaze we're seeing is every bit as bad as the Tories were managing in the run-up to 1997. Maybe we'll get lucky and ditch FPTP somehow, then they'll never see power again. But fat chance of that, sadly.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.