Diablo 2 on consoles confirmed to have 30 day online check in drm or it locks you out

https://twitter.com/DoesItPlay1/stat...26058325090304

Because Blizzard can't go a week without some horseshit. This is effectively a case of you needing to make it a "forevergame" and keep checking in on a pc or console connected to the internet our you access is revoked. In most cases you can argue "when isn't most peoples consoles connected all the time?" -unless we are talking about the switch which models like the lite are probably left to run down its battery between the big must play switch games more often of course- but its an unwelcome precedent Microsoft tried in a similar way with the Xbone before the massive backlash made them back down.

But Actiblizzion gonna Actiblizzion i guess but the question is will other companies follow suit. Live service games requiring online is understandable but a game with a offline solo option needing online checkins or straight up kicking you at the title screen is a precedent few are going to welcome as it effectively tries to make single player gaming always online.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

Okay, what's the source of this tweet? Sounds way too dumb, even for Blizzard.

Welp, that sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you need such a system anywhere, let alone on consoles? G

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Seems needless. I wonder why they would do such a thing. I am fairly opposed to Diablo being on a console but this is just anti-consumer IMO.

Gaming companies don't deserve to be given any money anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Seems needless. I wonder why they would do such a thing. I am fairly opposed to Diablo being on a console but this is just anti-consumer IMO.
    30 day check in means one MAU.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    30 day check in means one MAU.
    I guess. D2r doesn't seem to be the type of game that would be important to track. I guess it is to some degree, of course. If this was a feature of D4 or a newer game I could see the justification. But D2r is such a niche product- especially on console. How much attachment is there among console users on modern systems that the monthly active users would matter to their market tracking? I am doubtful.

I do think selling a game lease or umbrella service is more the way forward for games. Doesn't seem useful here though. Just a way to piss off consumers for little upside.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I guess. D2r doesn't seem to be the type of game that would be important to track. I guess it is to some degree, of course. If this was a feature of D4 or a newer game I could see the justification. But D2r is such a niche product- especially on console. How much attachment is there among console users on modern systems that the monthly active users would matter to their market tracking? I am doubtful.

I do think selling a game lease or umbrella service is more the way forward for games. Doesn't seem useful here though. Just a way to piss off consumers for little upside.
    I'm skeptical about it being to pump MAU numbers, but there is some logic to it. Blizzard (and Activision) have long been moving away from actually meaningful metrics like WoW subs in their reports, instead using the more vague and generally useless MAU metric. I doubt this is specifically to pump those numbers, especially for a smaller product launch like this, but I can see why it makes sense.

What's the source on this, I can't navigate twitter because I don't know how it works.

Pretty sure that wouldn't be allowed in the EU without any notice on the disc or whatever.
    Last edited by Krayvasi; 2022-01-18 at 10:32 PM.

Bro it's just a re-authentication. You don't lose anything, and can just log back in after verifying. It's literally to prevent people stealing your shit if you haven't logged into the game for a while.

Christ, maybe try reading up on things first. Oh wait, you just wanted to make a bait thread to get people angry.
    Last edited by Ryzeth; 2022-01-18 at 10:37 PM.
    If I don't respond to something you tagged me in, assume one of two things.
    1) Your post was too stupid to acknowledge, or
    2) Your post is cringe and not worth replying to.

Alternatively, if it happens a lot I probably have you blocked due to one of the above things. Thank you.