Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    If there is money to be made, be it Activision or Microsoft, Wrath Classic will happen.
    Talents - ☑
    EK/Kalimdor Revamp - ☒
    Endgame Gearing Revamp - ☐

FFXIV - Crystal Datacenter | Classic - Ashkandi (Horde)

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    They hired the producer of EQs progression servers to oversee Classic. I dont know why anyone thinks they wont do Classic versions of every expansion eventually.
    Is that right? Didn't know that, thanks.

Anyway, EQ progression servers don't attempt to be snapshots of a point in time like WoW classic. They basically take the current ruleset, abilities, UI, etc, and cap the available zones and character level. They supposedly do go back in and selectively remove stuff they feel is too powerful, but it doesn't have the aspirations of WoW classic to be exactly like the game was way back then.

That's why I speculate they may skip Cataclysm and WoD. These expansions will be just as much work to implement as MoP or Legion but contain vastly less content, and are widely seen as lower quality too.

Microsoft will pump out the Classic expansions as long as they expect to make money from them, just as Activision would have. Considering that Wrath was extremely popular and is highly anticipated now, and that popping out a retail expansion one year and a Classic one the next is easy money, of course they'll release it.

Remember that from the business perspective there is no separation between retail and classic. My subscription is to World of Warcraft, which provides access to both.

Quote Originally Posted by cantrip View Post
    Would you be too disappointed if Shadowlands is way more popular than classic?
    SL can have 5 times the player numbers,it doesnt matter when the costs of making it and upkeeping it is 50 times the cost

No, they're not going to release Classic Wrath, or any other Blizzard games for that matter. In fact, I've heard they're just going to dump 68.6 billion dollars into a big pit, spend the rest on jet fuel, and set it all on fire.

I mean, come on guys. What kind of questions are these?

Why do you think Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard? This is like asking, "are we still gonna get Star Wars movies?" after Disney bought Lucasfilm.

Are you asking if Blizzard, a company that has re-released all of its lesser selling titles, will re-release its best selling project in history? My man they won't just launch WoTLK classic, they will drop it like an atomic bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    The deal won't be finalized until late next year. Don't expect drastic changes to their current activity at least until it is.
    I say it will be 3 to 4 months at most, I'm not sure why you think it's going to be that long.

That being said they are alrrady working on Wrath Classic why would they stop its development now?
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

- The subscription for WoW will be added to Gamepass Ultimate at no additional cost, mark my words.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I say it will be 3 to 4 months at most, I'm not sure why you think it's going to be that long.

That being said they are alrrady working on Wrath Classic why would they stop its development now?
    Because they have to go through a ton of FTC regulatory reviews and are probably going to run up against antitrust investigations. This is one of the biggest acquisitions of this nature to have ever happened. Disney's acquisition of FOX ($71.3b) took about 10 months to get all the approvals after they formally started the process IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    I think classic has been a huge success. But BC Classic has been a failure. I always thought WotLK Classic would come, but seeing what happened to server pops in BC Classic, i am not so sure anymore. Dungeon finder could make Wotlk work were BC failed though (what i mean by that = taking away the meta player factor for pugs by removing the possibility for players to discriminate non optimal specs). And wrath babies are nostalgic as well. To be fair Ulduar, ICC and Northrend were pretty awesome.
    i can see your point with some of the servers in bc classic being like that but the ones that have active populations re very strong. for example US Pagle. taht server is as far from dead as it gets. others like US ashkandi are down but not dead. there are few total dead servers at this time and there are still a load of players in general across all servers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post

where did you read that they are working on it id like to read anything they have out about it as im chomping at teh bit waiting for it to be annouinced
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    money
    Thats why 90% of new released games are bad nowadays. Driven by money, not passion. Leaders are business mens and advos, not nerds and gamers anymore.

You believe it would be as successfull as the original WotLK was?

Sorry, i doubt that. The "classic" crowd is satisfied with classic and tbc, and anyone else probably continues to play retail. But hey, i am happy to be surprised.
    AS successful as original wrath? No. More successful than classic vanilla or TBCC? Absolutely. There are tons of people who play retail, have no interest in vanilla or TBC, but have extreme interest in wrath.

There are more players currently playing the game that were around for wrath but not the previous games. Wrath was what started the addiction for most veteran players. Just look at the sub numbers from that expansion. It tells all.

Did they even plan to release WotLK classic yet?

AFAIK they never talked about it.
    Do they have to talk about it?

It's pretty much on par expectation if TBC was already remade, and Wrath was one of the more popular 'height of WoW' expansions that people would love to revisit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Since Arthas used Frostmourne, which is a Runeblade, and Frostmourne's power eminates from those runes, that made him a Runemaster by default.

Quote Originally Posted by exsanguinate View Post
    Thats why 90% of new released games are bad nowadays. Driven by money, not passion. Leaders are business mens and advos, not nerds and gamers anymore.
    You cut off the second part, "Players want it." Gotta have both.

I do feel like Classic WotLK would be more successful than vanilla or TBC, yeah. Like I said I know multiple people who would come back to WoW for it, and they didn't bite on previous classic releases.

Quote Originally Posted by exsanguinate View Post
    Those "nerds" that made those games for other nerds got wives, kids, mortgages and worked hard their ass off for peanuts and then an investor came by and offered them a truckload of money. And you want them to have turned all that down?
    Sorry dude, but that is not how the world works.
    The gaming business is huge today and with big money follows professionalism, investors, stockholders etc.
    And they don't care one bit about "passion", they care about profit.
    Just as your phone company, your producer of toilet paper etc.

Stop judging gaming companies by other standards than your phone company and you will sleep better at night

Added:
    Startups might start with "passion", but as soon as something small and niche starts to smell of profit the professional capitalists take over.
    That is how our capitalist world works.
    You can't feed your kids or pay your mortgage with "passion".

Added 2:
    I do agree that modern games are much more "professional" in their monetization etc. than older games.
    But that is no different from other type of business'
    Last edited by T-34; 2022-01-21 at 08:00 PM. Reason: spelling