Thread: Where is Ion ?

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Where is Ion ?

Hey folks,

anyone else out there, feeling that Ion (Hazzikostas) is nearly non-existent, since the Blizzard drama started ?

Since Legion, his face was always seen, in every corner. Regardless if in all that Him+Josh talks, or in some Updates or News PR videos, or as guest in some Interviews. But since around 9.1 or so (around the time when the Blizz harassments drama started) it’s like he is not existing.

I know some of you will say that’s a good thing. And i personally not wanna discuss him, or if his absence is good or bad. I personally like him for some things, but i don’t like the game design of WoW under his lead. But as i said: That’s not the topic.

The topic is: I ask myself, if i just missed some things, or if he really is that absent, and if other ppls feel/see the same.

Just curious
    Last edited by Niwes; 2022-01-22 at 02:32 PM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    He did few interviews about 9.1.5 and 9.2. There was only one chance for public appearance in 9.2 reveal video, but that was focused on lore and not content for some reason.

At home with his spread sheets trying to find the coefficient for fun.

I wouldn't wanna be the face of WoW right now, would you?

I don't think his absence has been particularly weird mostly because we're in that current patch lull and there hasn't really been much reason for him to make an appearance. I'm sure once 9.2 gets closer he will do some interviews and talk about what's happening but considering 9.1 has been going on since forever I don't feel his absence has been that strange.

Why? Do you miss blaming him for each and every gameplay related problem WoW has?

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    He will no doubt do an interview or two when 9.2 drops or for whatever next week's "exciting news" is

The only time I remember Ion ever showing up was for a video for one of the BFA patches, can't remember which one, probably the 8.3 one. Probably a wise choice. He knows he has nothing good to say. I hate to rail on the man but it's true: whenever he does talk it just humiliates the WoW team with how out of touch they are and comes off as spiteful (see the Preach interview).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xHunterx View Post
    I wouldn't wanna be the face of WoW right now, would you?
    If you're the director, then yes you have the power to change the game so that your customers and satisfied and you would be proud being the face of WoW.

He's focused on 10.0 in order to get it out the door before 2022 is over. He'll be visible when the 10.0 announcements begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Eladia View Post
    He's focused on 10.0 in order to get it out the door before 2022 is over. He'll be visible when the 10.0 announcements begin.
    10.0 is not coming out this year ... Not a chance.

He's really swamped at the moment, there are a lot of throwaway systems that needs designing after they moved over from a per expansion system basis to a per patch one.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ResentfulUK View Post
    Why is there NO chance?

Quote Originally Posted by uzira View Post
    Why is there NO chance?
    Let's just call it "highly unlikely" and leave it at that. If 9.2 comes out in late Feb/early March, that would be an incredibly fast turnaround to the next expansion.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ResentfulUK View Post
    I reckon it might. 9.2 was in advanced stages when it came to the PTR which means they have definitely been working on 10.0. I think we will see a new expansion announcement next week (Mike Ybarra's exciting news) and the Alpha will drop in March. 8-9 month Alpha/Beta cycle will see it release this year

Why is there NO chance?
    Because we are a historic 425 days into the expansion with 9.2 still being months away from release, and it's going to take at least another 300+ days after 9.2 for 10.0 to release. 10.0 is coming Spring 2023 at the earliest.

Why is there NO chance?
    -10.0 should be, at least going by rumors, a lot different than previous expansions (meaning they have to do things differently, which is usually not as efficient)
    -The team hasn't delivered a single expansion without at least 10month content drought in over decade
    -Patch 9.2 is unlikely to come out until mid to late Feb
    -Blizzard will not launch a new expansion in mid / late december
    -Simply because MS acquires Activsion Blizzard in 2023, doesn't mean every internal issue has vanished over night

One cannot outrule it, but the odds are absolutely against it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I think we will see a new expansion announcement next week (Mike Ybarra's exciting news) and the Alpha will drop in March. 8-9 month Alpha/Beta cycle will see it release this year
    That is unlikely for the reason that 10.0 will storywise be likely dependant on what is happening at the end of 9.2, which isn't out yet.
    I doubt they're going to announce another expansion before they even announced the launch of 9.2.

If there's any WoW related news, it's the launch of 9.2, the only titles that could receive an official announcement are
    Diablo Immortal
    WoW Patch 9.2
    Any other mobile game (which are supposedly in the work for years now as well)
    Classic Wotlk (altough it would be quite soon, considering they've announced TBC when Classic was effectively done)
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2022-01-22 at 03:32 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Because we are a historic 425 days into the expansion with 9.2 still being months away from release, and it's going to take at least another 300+ days after 9.2 for 10.0 to release. 10.0 is coming Spring 2023 at the earliest.

10.0 MAYBE dec 2022 but i predict mid 2023 as more plausible.

I mean what would you expect him to say?
    The ptr is up and they did the 9.2 stream
    His job is done

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wow you are serious about thinking that 9.2 is months away

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    That is unlikely for the reason that 10.0 will storywise be likely dependant on what is happening at the end of 9.2, which isn't out yet.
    I doubt they're going to announce another expansion before they even announced the launch of 9.2.
    Shadowlands was announced before 8.3 was released and spoiled how the expansion would end. WoW is currently in a crisis situation where finally, at long last, even the most diehard WoW fanboys are quitting. Blizzard needs to win back the crowd ASAP. If 10.0 is in an announceable state before 9.2 releases, they'll announce it before 9.2 releases.

Shadowlands was announced before 8.3 was released and spoiled how the expansion would end. WoW is currently in a crisis situation where finally, at long last, even the most diehard WoW fanboys are quitting. Blizzard needs to win back the crowd ASAP. If 10.0 is in an announceable state before 9.2 releases, they'll announce it before 9.2 releases.
    8.3 ending had absolutely nothing to do with Shadowlands, N'zoths death (or anything that happened in 8.3) has had no relevancy for Shadowlands in terms of lore.

The only thing relevant as far as SL as concerned is Syvlanas abandoning the Horde and that was already revealed in Patch 8.2.5 which came out like 1,5 months before Blizzcon that announced Shadowlands.

And also disregards that Blizzard would absolutely not announce their expansion announcement with just a single sentence in a post largely addressed towards internal Blizzard issues.