Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Chromie Time is dissapointing

One of the big changes of Shadowlands was Chromie Time and the Level Squish.
    You would be able to play through a whole expansion rather than having to leave it half way through. Or so it seemed. After you reach Level 50 you get locked out of Chromie Time and the scaling changes back to normal which means you one shot everything in your way.

This whole system seems flawed and pointless because to play through a whole expansion I would have to lock xp gains at Level 49 to stay in Chromie time. Or just not use it at all since the zones already scale and I can lock xp at any level I want. Blizz should either change the leveling speed to be slower or give you an option to stay in Chromie Time when you reach level 50.

The point of it was leveling through an expansion until you hit current leveling

It’s working as intended

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VoidSeeker199X View Post
    After you reach Level 50 you get locked out of Chromie Time and the scaling changes back to normal which means you one shot everything in your way.

...Yes. As content at level 50 and higher is current content -- Shadowlands -- so you need to go to Shadowlands to finish leveling and play the game.

This whole system seems flawed and pointless because to play through a whole expansion I would have to lock xp gains at Level 49 to stay in Chromie time.

...or level another character. That is the point of Chromie Time: to level characters through different expansions until you reach current expansion levels. This current expansion -- Shadowlands -- levels begin at level 48. Get out of Westfall and go to the Maw.

What an ridiculous complaint.

Or just not use it at all since the zones already scale and I can lock xp at any level I want. Blizz should either change the leveling speed to be slower or give you an option to stay in Chromie Time when you reach level 50.

Do whatever you want with your $15 a month I guess, but your complaining about something not working the way you want it to, not the way it was intended in the first place.

"Blizz should either change the leveling speed to be slower" ...or how about stop turning in quests too fast? There's a fix for ya.

"or give you an option to stay in Chromie Time when you reach level 50" ...or don't level past 47 and lock experience? Either way it seems that you just don't want to play the game at max level.
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2022-01-25 at 12:12 AM.

Would be nice to use chromie time at max level if u want to do old expansion content on a normal/difficult level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    Would be nice to use chromie time at max level if u want to do old expansion content on a normal/difficult level.

But why?

The only difference between that, and going back and 1-shotting things to complete quests for achievements, is that you aren't 1-shotting things.
    At least you would still get quest reward gold (and whatever shit drops from those 10 bears you need to kill) by going back at max level.

Alternatively they could just add a XP nerf potion you can buy somewhere if you prefer slow leveling. Maybe something that reduces xp gains by 80-90% for those who want to level through multiple expansions.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Not everyone wants to one shot things while questing. It wouldn't really be that bad of an idea to add a max level version of Chromie time that let's you go through the expansions at level and enjoy the pace of it all. One shotting everything drastically destroys intended timing of how things work.
    strip naked and only auto attack?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Or just you know enable the people that want that option to have that option. I certainly wouldn't mess with it but there are large groups of players that primarily quest. All they have to do is just add in the 60 scaling and hey boom a bunch of people are happy and if anyone complains about difficulty just say it's scaled how it's scaled. The tech is already there with Chromie time in the picture.
    Or you can just disable xp gain at any lvl between 1-50 and you are good.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Blizz should either change the leveling speed to be slower [...]
    No. Absolutely not. The main function of Chromie Time is to level up in varying content, and reach level 50 in an appropriate amount of time. That should not be compromised, players who want to level to reach current content should not be unnecessarily impeded.

Also, that suggestion just reeks of the worst aspect of FF14's gameplay, the forced story on every character you start.
    Aside from this being bad overall, WoW is much more about playing multiple characters at each stage of the progression, due to the class distinction (technical aspect) and comparatively vast amount of different races (design aspect)

If you want to keep your character in Chromie Time, at least until you have reached your personal goal, hey, you yourself mentioned the way to do that, lock experience.

Now, I wouldn't be against an optional toggle to re-enter a scaled version of old content at 50+, even though I doubt I'd ever use it myself, but it's not something that needs to be implemented. Still, I'd support it if that was what's being proposed here.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Alternatively they could just add a XP nerf potion you can buy somewhere if you prefer slow leveling. Maybe something that reduces xp gains by 80-90% for those who want to level through multiple expansions.
    Horrible idea compared to just stopping experience gains, especially if this potion has a non-trivial price.
    Say you expect roughly 5 more hours of regular questing to hit 50. You want to prolong that and use the potion (or multiple, depending on duration) which reduces gains by 66%, which means (per rule of thumb) 15 hours with triple the amount of quests.
    But what if you get bored after some hours, don't like the zone/expansion etc., for whatever reason you now want to level quickly again. Meaning you have to click off the potion's buff, discarding its remaining duration = a portion of the gold/other currency/effort you spent to acquire this.

No, just use the already existing, free feature to stop XP gains.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

This again. What is so hard about at level 49.99%, turning off XP, then go back to questing your hearts content. Do every quest in the expansion if you feel like it. Get Loremaster! Then when you think you're good, turn XP on, and turn a quest in. Ding!

That's while leveling.

I fully expect Blizzard at some point will make it so that any content in the game will be challenging at max level. At this point, there is just so much content in the game, and the tech is already available. It's silly not to. Timewalking on steroids. I'd run Wrath dungeons every day for eternity.
    Last edited by ablib; 2022-01-25 at 02:56 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    But why?

The only difference between that, and going back and 1-shotting things to complete quests for achievements, is that you aren't 1-shotting things.
    At least you would still get quest reward gold (and whatever shit drops from those 10 bears you need to kill) by going back at max level.
    One shotting mobs is hella boring and if you want to go back to do old story’s or get achievementsyou might want some actual game play inbetween.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    Horrible idea compared to just stopping experience gains, especially if this potion has a non-trivial price.
    Say you expect roughly 5 more hours of regular questing to hit 50. You want to prolong that and use the potion (or multiple, depending on duration) which reduces gains by 66%, which means (per rule of thumb) 15 hours with triple the amount of quests.
    But what if you get bored after some hours, don't like the zone/expansion etc., for whatever reason you now want to level quickly again. Meaning you have to click off the potion's buff, discarding its remaining duration = a portion of the gold/other currency/effort you spent to acquire this.

No, just use the already existing, free feature to stop XP gains.
    That sounds like a such a ridiculous, far-fetched complaint. Realistically how often is someone who is going to use the potion in the first place going to decide they want to level at normal speed. Additionally, how is this any less cumbersome then completely stopping what you're doing and having to travel back to SW to visit the XP/off NPC for 10g anyway.

Such a silly point to try and make.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    One shotting mobs is hella boring and if you want to go back to do old story’s or get achievementsyou might want some actual game play inbetween.

I get that, but then again the intended max-level-game-play isn't doing that. If you want to quest in zones, kill mobs, attain zone's achievements while feeling like actual game then you should do so while leveling.

I've heard this complaint before and it's almost always from people who either 1.) don't like WoW's end game, 2.) don't like the expansion, or 3.) just want to play solo and do their own thing that's not current content. It's a complaint that the intended system (Chromie Time/Timewalking campaigns) is not doing something more in particular that caters to those mind sets.

But I agree that maybe there should be a way for max level characters to go to older content zones and do the quests they didn't do while leveling with everything scaled to max level, except no experience (clearly) and the same amount of gold rewards from quests as you would get if you were at the appropriate level. Perhaps this would alleviate the concerns of those who have issues in the points I listed above?

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    This again. What is so hard about at level 49.99%, turning off XP, then go back to questing your hearts content. Do every quest in the expansion if you feel like it. Get Loremaster! Then when you think you're good, turn XP on, and turn a quest in. Ding!

That's while leveling.

I fully expect Blizzard at some point will make it so that any content in the game will be challenging at max level. At this point, there is just so much content in the game, and the tech is already available. It's silly not to. Timewalking on steroids. I'd run Wrath dungeons every day for eternity.
    Just so long as they toss the horrid BFA item level scaling thing. As it is nice BFA elites and rares have as much or more health than Shadowlands ones.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

One of the big changes of Shadowlands was Chromie Time and the Level Squish.
    You would be able to play through a whole expansion rather than having to leave it half way through. Or so it seemed. After you reach Level 50 you get locked out of Chromie Time and the scaling changes back to normal which means you one shot everything in your way.

This whole system seems flawed and pointless because to play through a whole expansion I would have to lock xp gains at Level 49 to stay in Chromie time. Or just not use it at all since the zones already scale and I can lock xp at any level I want. Blizz should either change the leveling speed to be slower or give you an option to stay in Chromie Time when you reach level 50.
    Old xpacks' endgame is dead anyway. For example I would want to level Garrison and do Tanaan in Draenor, but Blizzard has nerfed all gold rewards, making paying 5k for 3rd level Garrison, 750/1k for every blueprint pointless and brought modern BS to it, i.e. not soloable rares and Baleful gear is nerfed and simply matches quest greens. Therefore you simply has nothing to do there. Only WOD Classic can revive it.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Or you can just disable xp gain at any lvl between 1-50 and you are good.
    That's what I do (well, lock xp gains at 45 or so). I absolutely love questing in legacy content at an appropriate difficulty; there's something very Zen about it. Kalimdor, EK, Northrend, Cata, WoD; I just kick back and enjoy the ride. Chromie time's been great in that regard.

5+ Year Old Account
    For me chromietime should be extended to max lvl after you got 1 character on max lvl, because god please i wont do shadowlands questing again

10+ Year Old Account
    Not everyone wants to one shot things while questing. It wouldn't really be that bad of an idea to add a max level version of Chromie time that let's you go through the expansions at level and enjoy the pace of it all. One shotting everything drastically destroys intended timing of how things work.
    Also be a way to grab random bits of gear assuming it still scaled.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    But why?

You know some people doing stuff in the game for fun. Oneshotting brainafk mobs isnt fun. To get a bit challanged can be fun for some people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Other xp could be plausibly scaled to actual end game but im not sure i want this. Its workin fine u can lvlup to actual content in exp that u like mostly. Choice i urs.