View Poll Results: Should MS outsource WoW to Rob Pardo and Bonfire Studios?

Voters
118. This poll is closed
  • yes

17 14.41%
  • no

93 78.81%
  • unsure

8 6.78%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I think it is HIGHLY unlikely that Microsoft acquires WoW and decides "current management is doing just fine". We're talking a game that once had nearly 13million active subscribers, and it now likely hovering around 1million, and only saw one content update for the entirety of 2021.
    It is already known that Blizz will have a free reign in making games and hiring peeps, just like Bethesda has. Besides, all you have to do is getting rid of Bobby and his complete $$$ fixation to see an improvement.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

I think it is HIGHLY unlikely that Microsoft acquires WoW and decides "current management is doing just fine". We're talking a game that once had nearly 13million active subscribers, and it now likely hovering around 1million, and only saw one content update for the entirety of 2021.
    Nope, they are financially ok even if producing giga trash. 100% not going to happen, Blizz will have their own way.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

The problems are usually tied to the budget, so management in terms of 'executive decisions' which have relatively little to do with what the actual developers are capable of. I mean this is exactly what doomed Reforged, while other remasters like SC Remastered and D2 Ressurected were not total horse shit.

We're talking about ousting people like Bobby Kotick after the whole thing happens (source: Jason Schrier)

So we don't really know what will happen with WoW overall, if MS thinks they have enough confidence to devote more resources into it or what.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think Bonfire is in a position to be trusted with an IP like WoW, considering they haven't put anything out.

That said, I think there is actually a relatively good chance that WoW *is* given to different developers to handle. It doesn't matter how you slice it, there is simply no justification for WoW's complete lack of content in 2021. This isn't the result of just poor management; for an ongoing project like that to be NEARLY AN ENTIRE YEAR BEHIND SCHEDULE implies that not even most of the workers want to be working on it.

And really, the signs are all there; it's abundantly clear that the folks working at Blizzard now are at-odds with the design choices of those who previously helmed Blizzard, be it for personal reasons or not. That being the case, the current staff really can't be trusted to keep WoW afloat, considering it's a game that is clearly more obligation than "passion project". Now to say "everything about WoW lately sucks", but rather, the only good parts have been things "new" and largely disconnected from "Warcraft" proper. Even the story seems more akin to Destiny and high-science fiction, than grounded "fantasy" with truly dastardly villains.

Microsoft would do well to form a new team to handle World of Warcraft, from people at Blizzard who VOLUNTEER to stay with it, and then fill out the remainder of the roles with new, competent developers.
    You don’t follow a lot of games do you? Tons of games are a full year behind some even two, hell halo infinite was a year behind its original planned launch Microsoft isn’t going to look at the industry norm and say wow needs a new team because of it.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah thats a stupid fucking idea lmao. why would they ever outsource something of the magnitude of WoW to a studio that hasnt put anything out? when blizzard has a shit ton of employees already? that just isnt how these things work lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    yeah thats a stupid fucking idea lmao. why would they ever outsource something of the magnitude of WoW to a studio that hasnt put anything out? when blizzard has a shit ton of employees already? that just isnt how these things work lmao.
    Because wow has collapsed from around 14 million players to 1-2 million and most of those are boosters or boosted. There is ZERO chance that MS looks at WoW and decides the status quo is fine. They are going to seriously shake up WoW. But one way to do it would be to bring in Rob Pardo to try to fix things with his studio.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

You clearly haven't seen how microsoft lets 343 just constantly run halo into the ground for the last decade.

Yeah, they might get Pardo back like they got Staten, but he'll just be a fan favorite figure head to try and tell everyone things are okay now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Because wow has collapsed from around 14 million players to 1-2 million and most of those are boosters or boosted. There is ZERO chance that MS looks at WoW and decides the status quo is fine. They are going to seriously shake up WoW. But one way to do it would be to bring in Rob Pardo to try to fix things with his studio.
    If they brought him back, the only thing I'd want him to work on is (TBC) Classic Plus, or a continuation of the RTS series like Warcraft 4 or a massive revamp for Reforged.

Modern WoW is really too disjointed for him to 'fix'. It's already too far gone in a direction that doesn't align with the Classic WoW design, and might as well continue its course while Classic Plus could take the brand in an alternate direction with new content built around Rob's original vision of the game.

If anything I think it would be hilarious if Microsoft one day buys up Dreamhaven and returns the IP back into Morhaime's control.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Wu View Post
    If anything I think it would be hilarious if Microsoft one day buys up Dreamhaven and returns the IP back into Morhaime's control.
    They have to do something first to be even considered to be acquired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard should start outsourcing art in general, not necessarily from Bonfire. I would much rather have a bunch of artists commissioned new character customizations and armor designs than wait another 10 years for Blizzard to finally have an excuse to revisit them.

Quote Originally Posted by Leiandri View Post
    Blizzard should start outsourcing art in general, not necessarily from Bonfire. I would much rather have a bunch of artists commissioned new character customizations and armor designs than wait another 10 years for Blizzard to finally have an excuse to revisit them.
    If there is one thing they are absolutely capable of, its the art. They should outsource the story, balancing, gameplay loop instead.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, clearly this isn't the case since all they can managed to squeeze since the updated models release in 2014 is 3 new hairstyles per model (I'm using hairstyles as an example as the most complex part of character customization). I'm not questioning the quality of WoW art team, I'm questioning why one of the biggest and most successful game devs in the world struggle with delivering these art assets on the regular. Can you imagine for a moment that you wouldn't have to wait half a year (or more) until a new major patch brings... 2 new chestpieces for you to transmog into what... looks exactly like all the other chestpieces that came before with a different texture? Can you imagine getting new character customization with every mini-patch every couple of months and not wait for another 10 years until they feel like they have to do it and try to sell it to you as a major expansion feature?

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    that doesnt mean anything.
    Ah, this isn't about actually discussing it - just the whole, "my opinion is right, and your criticisms are wrong."

What a generation.
    Mods are too busy to be bothered with moderation...but still post nonsense in threads.

Please do not contact me about moderation - Reach out to another member.