Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Policy Update for Organized In-Game Services - January 2022

Policy Update for Organized In-Game Services - January 2022
    Boosting Communities are no longer allowed in-game, even when offering services for gold.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    As the conditions change by which various entities operate in World of Warcraft, we are compelled to update our policies to further our goal of making the gameplay experience as fair and welcoming as possible. Since we last updated our policies, we have found that an increasing disturbance of the gameplay experience has been caused by organizations excessively advertising various non-traditional services in-game.

As of today, we will now prohibit organizations who offer boosting, matchmaking, escrow, or other non-traditional services, including those offered for gold. World of Warcraft accounts found to be in violation of this policy are subject to account actions. These actions can include warnings, account suspensions and, if necessary, permanent closure of the disruptive World of Warcraft account(s). Organizations operating across multiple realms and excessively advertising non-traditional in-game sales are contrary to the terms and conditions of the Blizzard End-User License Agreement (EULA).

This policy update does not restrict individuals or guilds from using the provided in-game tools (“trade channel” chat) to buy or sell in-game items or activities for in-game currency. However, “boosting communities”, especially those who operate across multiple realms, are no longer permitted.

We urge all such organizations to cease doing business in World of Warcraft immediately, in order to maintain uninterrupted access to the game.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    I believe cross-realm boosting is disallowed, unless I read it wrong.

Organizations who disruptively advertise across all realms and establish escrow services are the primary target of this policy update. Guilds and individuals who are inviting players from another realm to join them in traditional game activities in exchange for gold are allowed, as they were before.

Would that include things like GDKP runs? Where players benefit financially off other people?

That depends on the definition of “financially”. If it means an exchange of gold only without a middleman entity, then it sounds like the same sort of guild activities players have been enjoying for 17 years, which are not the focus of this policy update.
    Last edited by Lumy; 2022-02-01 at 02:34 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    funny this leaked last night and no one thought it was real

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...ning_boosting/

This is a positive change. Still allowing friends boosting each other, but ending "commercial" cross realm boosting.

as some one that made my gold through these communities I have no problem with this

I would say that is good - guilds can still do boosting, but cross-realm boosting is prohibited

15+ Year Old Account
    Qwik has earned enough gold.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    funny this leaked last night and no one thought it was real

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...ning_boosting/
    and all this "not real" "bad pixels" "guaranteed fake" are memes right now

Wow, that's a biggie coming out of nowhere. Wondering if this was planned all along or MS interfered.
    Nice change.

One step in the right direction, but that's probably one of the less visible sources of boosting - the real spam is the trade/LFG advertisements which REALLY make people mad.

Time to tackle those next, pretty please?

finally some good news, maybe I will be able to see trade chat again.

The least alt friendly change ever.

Why should I have the pug content with bad players just because my guild doesn't do alt runs? Legit boosting communities were nothing but convenience, just turn off trade you brain-dead turds.

10+ Year Old Account
    the dream is over

Step in the right direction. If they're going to make multi boxing against the rules, paying gold to get achievements and shit you can't earn yourself should definitely be against the rules.

This should have applied to all forms of boosting though for profit, not just cross realm communities.

Random thoughts

Strangely this happened after MS decision to buy ATVI

Boosting was probably the second if not the first source of profit for Blizzard, so strange they decide to do that.

Didn't stopped us when they banned Gallywix, we made another community and already made nearly 1 Billion back

Already banked all the millions so they can ban all communities

Quote Originally Posted by Ilnez View Post
    The least alt friendly change ever.

Why should I have the pug content with bad players just because my guild doesn't do alt runs? Legit boosting communities were nothing but convenience, just turn off trade you brain-dead turds.
    Boosting in PvP Arena was not convenience for anyone other than the boosted player. Everyone else who tried to play the game was getting owned at 1600~1800 rating by Gladiator Teams boosting some nubs for gold/$$$.

So actual great news for once. Boosting has turned this game into a cesspool. Hope it is strictly enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by Meow View Post
    Qwik has earned enough gold.
    Found the one who obviously didn't read the post and just wanted to send an inflammatory comment.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

i turned off Badboy and see 0 boosting spams... people start trashtalking in tradechat again and want to sell their items & professions... great change <3

10+ Year Old Account
    This would be good news if they actually enforced this on any level, but they probably won't. Already they have disallowed boost sales in the group finder for a few years now and anyone who uses the group finder regularly knows how completely ineffective that policy change was because they put no teeth behind it. Real players had to give up the group finder tool on toons leveling through pre-SL content, while the same people continue to advertise sale runes day after day with minimal repercussion.

"This policy update does not restrict individuals or guilds from using the provided in-game tools ('trade channel' chat) to buy or sell in-game items or activities for in-game currency. However, 'boosting communities', especially those who operate across multiple realms, are no longer permitted." (emphasis mine)

I'm confused about what activities are allowed to be sold in game and what is considered boosting in this context. Is this strictly about PvP? Are Mythic +15 and +20 dungeon runs no longer allowed to be advertised in Trade? What about mythic raid runs? Selling Ahead of the Curve/Cutting Edge achievements? What qualifies as a "traditional service" within this context? This post does not seem clear at all.