You ever feel like you spend a lot of time just thinking about "Death" in general?

So... I dunno. I feel like stuff has been weighing on me for a while. A couple of years ago, I'd met this girl who was kind of a wild-child, seemed like she was probably into drugs, but we'd hung out a few times. Slept together once. We sorta drifted apart. Well, last year she died. To this day, I still don't know what happened, and since we never really ran in the same circles, I never knew anyone to even ask.

I guess I've still never quite been able to process that. We weren't like THAT close, by any means... but I dunno, there was SOME connection. Like... part of me feels like I maybe should've been a better friend, try to be more of a "good influence"? She normally ran with a bad crowd, so I think that's why as rare as it was, I think she enjoyed hanging around me, since I've always leaned more towards the "squeaky-clean" image (I grew up around druggies, so never wanted to associated with those types).

Anyways, last year I also moved to be closer to my dad. He'd started developing back issues, so I felt like I wanted to be closer, you know, "should anything happen". His back's definitely gotten worse -- there was some improvement after a steroid shot, but it sounds like they're going to have to schedule him for surgery. But they just had him in, and now they're scheduling him for a bunch more tests; there's some possibility it might be... serious.

Which, I guess ANYTHING could always be serious. But today, he was just making comments about hoping me and my sister can get closer, so "whenever he dies", she'll have someone she feels like she can count on.

And... I dunno man. Something about the conversation just really hit me.

Just really got me thinking a lot about "death", and how it affects us. How it's a part of life, even though we pretend that it isn't. And I guess it does have me kind of thinking, what am I working towards? What SHOULD I be working towards? Part of me wants to move someplace where I feel like *I* would be happy, but then stuff like this makes me think "maybe I'm better off just spending what time I can together, even if it means some sacrifices".

I dunno. I'm droning I guess. Just sort of these strange, ambiguous thoughts and feelings floating around, that I can't seem to shape into words.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    But today, he was just making comments about hoping me and my sister can get closer, so "whenever he dies", she'll have someone she feels like she can count on.
    Each person should have a plan in a place for their family in case they die. That's just being responsible, imo. You shouldn't necessarily assume that that means your dad will die anytime soon, unless a doctor says so.
    Just really got me thinking a lot about "death", and how it affects us. How it's a part of life, even though we pretend that it isn't.
    I guess we ignore death because we can't change it. It's inevitable for us. But we shouldn't embrace death as a society because then we won't work towards finding the cures.
    And I guess it does have me kind of thinking, what am I working towards? What SHOULD I be working towards?
    Work towards getting the knowledge to solve your problems and have more fun in life. It's the same for everyone.
    Part of me wants to move someplace where I feel like *I* would be happy, but then stuff like this makes me think "maybe I'm better off just spending what time I can together, even if it means some sacrifices".
    Yeah "be together" but don't let other people(even your loved ones) hold you back in life. Other people need to take care of themselves.
    Just sort of these strange, ambiguous thoughts and feelings floating around, that I can't seem to shape into words.
    I think that is just a part of the human condition though. Feelings constantly arise because people are always trying to resolve uncertainty with new and competing ideas.
    Last edited by PC2; 2022-07-01 at 02:29 AM.

I don't particularly dwell on it but it is something that crosses my mind fairly often as someone who has seen it up close and is aware of how fragile the human body is.

The thing I kind of find "mystifying" or the hardest part to wrap your brain around is ultimately the finality of it. As Tyrion from game of thrones says "Death is rather boring".

It takes away that crazy "what if" scenario each day brings being alive wither it be connecting up with an old friend in a meaningful way or spending time with a parent so you dont feel so guilty when they do move on even though 90% of your day is working and sleeping. But still what if...

10+ Year Old Account
    Death is an evil thing, I think about it, but I think of it as something I rather avoid or prevent all together. However outside of my personal feelings, I recognize reality that it is part of our existence.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Death isn't evil.
    When you get older, others you know and care about will have crossed over. Life itself stops being "fun" when you realize they're gone and that feeling of being left behind seeps in and you're still here...among the unfamiliar.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really think about it. Not anymore. I made my peace with it long a go.

I don't believe in any kind of afterlife. I see it being the same as sleeping, without any dreams. Like, I wasn't inconvenienced in any way before I was born, and it's going to be the same after I die (no brain to conceive anything).

I find the thought quite comforting.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Death isn't evil.
    Human death is an evil that needs to keep being pushed further and further away. Until death is voluntary.
    When you get older, others you know and care about will have crossed over.
    As long as that process is consistent with the laws of physics.
    Last edited by PC2; 2022-07-01 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Death is an evil that needs to keep being pushed away futher and further. Until death is voluntary.

As long as that process is consistent with the laws of physics.
    Death isn't evil and you failed to explain why.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    His concept of morality revolves around money. And if he can't take it with him, then it's evil.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    It's because I think morality is partially based on a principle that says people should value what is constructive and not destructive. It's about preserving valuable information in a person's head instead of losing it.

My claim is that following the historical/natural cycle of life and death is irrational for humans. Luckily the medical community agrees with me which is why they're always finding more ways to cheat death for as long as possible!
    Last edited by PC2; 2022-07-01 at 04:26 PM.

It's because I think morality is partially based on a principle that says people should value what is constructive and not destructive. It's about preserving valuable information in a person's head instead of losing it.
    Philosophy says death is a part of a cycle.
    My claim is that following the historical/natural cycle of life and death is irrational for humans. Luckily the medical community agrees with me which is why they're always finding more ways to cheat death for as long as possible!
    Yea..the natural is irrational.
    Most doctors support euthanasia.