Nat's Drinking Hat

Hello

Am I correct in assuming that as of the current date and game (2022) that this item (Nat's Drinking Hat) is effectively useless because it is a cosmetic item in-game now and clicking to equip it (the first and only time) will just add the cosmetic model to your library rather than actual equip a physical item itself that has stats?

I have not used the item, but I am fairly sure that being tagged "cosmetic" doesn't mean the item is now useless. It just means that, once you get it soulbound to you, it means all classes can transmog the item's looks, regardless of armor type.

The item's stats and abilities should remain unchanged when you put it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I have not used the item, but I am fairly sure that being tagged "cosmetic" doesn't mean the item is now useless. It just means that, once you get it soulbound to you, it means all classes can transmog the item's looks, regardless of armor type.

The item's stats and abilities should remain unchanged when you put it on.
    I'm still new to returning but I'm certain that the last time I clicked to equip a cosmetic item with those pink brackets the item itself disappeared and reappeared in my cosmetic library (Venthyr back dagger thingies).

Edit: And Nat's Drinking Hat has those pink brackets around it when going to purchase and it's listed as 'cosmetic'

1+ Year Old Account
    The hat is supposed to have an on-use effect of increasing your fishing skill (or at least used to have it before), but after 9.1.5 or something the "cosmetic" tag has been added for it, making it unusable. As soon as you rightclick the hat, it gets consumed and added as a transmog option. Not a big deal, there are other items that fishing.

Just kinda strange for Blizzard to add the "cosmetic" tag for an item with an on-use effect, since they also added the tag for a whole bunch of holiday event themed items, negating their on-use effects, but also substituted them by adding some toys with the same effects that you can now get from respective holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by YogSoggoth View Post
    The hat is supposed to have an on-use effect of increasing your fishing skill (or at least used to have it before), but after 9.1.5 or something the "cosmetic" tag has been added for it, making it unusable. As soon as you rightclick the hat, it gets consumed and added as a transmog option. Not a big deal, there are other items that fishing.

Just kinda strange for Blizzard to add the "cosmetic" tag for an item with an on-use effect, since they also added the tag for a whole bunch of holiday event themed items, negating their on-use effects, but also substituted them by adding some toys with the same effects that you can now get from respective holidays.
    If that is indeed what happens, perhaps a ticket or a forum post on the official forums to let them know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by YogSoggoth View Post

Thank you for confirming I shall not bother with farming the rep (for now).

Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    Thank you for confirming I shall not bother with farming the rep (for now).
    Go on and farm the rep, it is not a consumable.

Cosmetic just designates a special armor class that is neither cloth leather mail or plate. There are cosmetic items consumed by using it, this hat is not.

It does what is written on it, wearing it gives +fishing and using it gives a buff +fishing. I have the exalted version, honored should behave exactly the same.

Last edited by Twdft; 2022-02-12 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Go on and farm the rep, it is not a consumable.
    That's not the correct hat in question though?

Example I still have my weather beaten fishing hat as a physical item (+5 fishing) I can put on and take off.

Nat's Drinking Hat is +8 Fishing and your item Nat's Hat is +5 fishing (The one after Weather Beaten Hat & before Nat's Drinking Hat) so maybe that particular item like the weather beaten fishing hat is still a physical in-game item but Nats DRINKING Hat is cosmetic only now?

Last edited by Kharnath; 2022-02-12 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    That's not the correct hat in question though?
    Yeah, mine was from MoP where Nat Pagle hung around in Krarasang.

Now I went to my garrison and bought the one you want to have. It behaves exactly the same as Nats hat: it's an item, you can wear it, you can right click to use it for the extra buff. Not consumed.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Yeah, mine was from MoP where Nat Pagle hung around in Krarasang.

Now I went to my garrison and bought the one you want to have. It behaves exactly the same as Nats hat: it's an item, you can wear it, you can right click to use it for the extra buff. Not consumed.

This. I was surprised to see someone claiming it is consumed. I’ve been using the hat the last few days when fishing for the Pond Nettle. Not consumed at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nohara View Post
    This. I was surprised to see someone claiming it is consumed. I’ve been using the hat the last few days when fishing for the Pond Nettle. Not consumed at all.
    Some of the cosmetic items lately get consumed on use, like all the ensembles which provide full sets. And I think some of the shadowlands covenant items for cloaks too. So it's not too far fetched to fear it being the same with Pats hats, especially if you never had one before.

Wonderful let the fishing resume!
    (I just wanted confirmation before disappointment)
    Cheers

Usually what the OP is thinking is about the cosmetic items that have the specific effect of adding it to your appearance tab, then poof. Gone. But those items generally say something along the lines of "right click to add to appearances".

Even though this says cosmetic, this item does not say that. I expect owning it would be enough to add to your appearances, and right clicking while adds the effect. If different happens, then I might complain, but I wouldn't freak out because it is listed as "cosmetic" now.