Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    It isn't a bad idea but I think it can't work with the token. To many players would want "money" over the seasonal transmog shop and would rush to cash out near the end of the patch breaking the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    i mean it would "solve" it for a year or two, after that we would be right where we are, actualy most likely even worse as people who know how to make gold would get very high very fast, and people who dont know would be worse off...

thats if its one time reset, if its with every expansion it would be different but still worse for the "poor", and probably even worse than if its one time reset...
    This is a valid concern, though, as I said a page or so ago... it does beg the question: Should gold be a reliable currency?

I get the arguments for it: The current economy isn't all that broken, rich people will stay rich, even if you remove gold every expansion players will just find something else to retain wealth. These are extremely valid arguments and frankly, the sum of their weight is likely far heavier than any argument I could possibly hope to make for a gold wipe.

However, there is a part of me that can't help but romanticize the idea of every expansion being a clean slate for players, a new opportunity to create their own wealth and a way for the developers to finally stop having to jump through all the hoops they do to get people out and actually play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    This is a valid concern, though, as I said a page or so ago... it does beg the question: Should gold be a reliable currency?

I get the arguments for it: The current economy isn't all that broken, rich people will stay rich, even if you remove gold every expansion players will just find something else to retain wealth. These are extremely valid arguments and frankly, the sum of their weight is likely far heavier than any argument I could possibly hope to make for a gold wipe.

However, there is a part of me that can't help but romanticize the idea of every expansion being a clean slate for players, a new opportunity to create their own wealth and a way for the developers to finally stop having to jump through all the hoops they do to get people out and actually play the game.
    it should be reliable, and it is... its not perfect, but definitely best system we could have

thing is, there is no way that would not end up with disparity in wealth, even if you remove any way currency can change hands - making new "gold" which would kinda be BOP, what would be impact of that?
    auction house outright closed, we would return to bartering, which would be just terrible, and would again lead to disparity - people with plenty of time to farm would have much more goods to trade, so they would set the "price" (not to mention they would only trade if they would actualy need anything so if you dont have that, you are fucked) and most people would rather farm things themselves, leading to people with little time being utterly fucked...
    somehow, i think the current system which works pretty well is FAR better than that...

to put it simple, there are reasons why no developed society works on bartering rather than some form of currency

How can people not be able to make any gold blows my mind. I raid log only and finally 2 days ago reached 80 with all 4 covenants to prepare myself for 9.2 so that I can change to whatever is meta. I am sitting at 270k gold. More than enough to cover my expenses for the raid. I know here people are talking about millions and compared to those players I am just a scrub but come on a reset? because others have more gold? inflation? just what are you doing with that gold? I buy herbs, runes, sharpening stones, enchants and we are done. what else do you need from AH?

yeah no i think people here vastly over estimate how much gold the avg person has anyways.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

all video games should have a reset mechanic.