Page 1 of 37
... LastLast

How bad is inflation in your area?

I'll start first.

Gasoline in San Francisco is around $5.29 - $5.49 today. I heard on the news that somewhere in the Bay Area it is over $7.00.

Electricity and natural gas went up twice so far. Lots of complaining. As soon as we pass PG&E inspection of our solar system, we should never have to worry about that anymore.

Eating out is definitely more expensive. Although not horribly so. The food truck prices went up the most. Likely due to the increasing gas price.

Groceries don't change much. We shopped at the local Oriental and Middle Eastern supermarkets. Chicken thigh was $1.09 at the Chinese market. Ground lamb was $3.99. Duck liver lap cheong (Chinese sausage) was $5.99. Beef is up. Pork is cheap. Vegetables, fruits and nuts are, in my opinion, cheap. Two pounds of ugly looking giant mineo tangelo at the Middle Eastern market went for $1.00. Giant Haas avocados were 5 for $2.00. The benefits of living next to the salad bowl region of the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gas is $4.29 a gallon here now. I think it was $3.50 a gallon last week.

In orange county, ca premium gas was $6.29 per gallon for me this morning. Luckily I only need to fill up like once a month since my "commute" is really short.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2022-03-10 at 06:56 PM.

Like $4.19

thanks biden

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Gas is $4.29 a gallon here now. I think it was $3.50 a gallon last week.
    Same. The price should be dropping soon...ish. OPEC seems to like the idea of adding Europe to its customer base.

10+ Year Old Account
    $4.44 at Costco.
    $4.99 At the 76 by the freeway on-ramp.

The inherent problem with "Car Sauce is Expensive" stories ... is like reporters seek out the most expensive gas in town, and ask the dumbest guy with the ridiculously large vehicle. "How did you pay buddy?"

lmao your petrol is so fucking cheap

How about groceries?

Here, if you can deal with the dirty floors, questionable hygiene, cramped and narrow aisles, pushy old grandmas, and employees that only speak Cantonese, the Chinese markets are the best place to go shopping. I enjoyed watching the reactions when my blonde wife started yelling at the butchers in Cantonese. Now that they know her, no fun anymore.

uuuuh probably closer to $3.6-.7 at the most expensive gas stations. so, not nearly as bad as other parts of the country.

the bigger problem being in the mountain west is the supply chain break down so not so much increases to prices but a lot of just empty shelves.
    Last edited by uuuhname; 2022-03-10 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    $4.44 at Costco.
    $4.99 At the 76 by the freeway on-ramp.

The inherent problem with "Car Sauce is Expensive" stories ... is like reporters seek out the most expensive gas in town, and ask the dumbest guy with the ridiculously large vehicle. "How did you pay buddy?"
    I agree with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    How about groceries?

Here, if you can deal with the dirty floors, questionable hygiene, cramped and narrow aisles, pushy old grandmas, and employees that only speak Cantonese, the Chinese markets are the best place to go shopping. I enjoyed watching the reactions when my blonde wife started yelling at the butchers in Cantonese. Now that they know her, no fun anymore.

I love thee Sunset Super markets! Couldnt have survived living in SF without them. People now ask why Im so good at cooking Asian Fusion dishes.

Also miss "Greensleeves but in Cantonese" blaring over the PA during the holiday season.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Same. The price should be dropping soon...ish. OPEC seems to like the idea of adding Europe to its customer base.
    Not a chance it went up again nationally overnight even though the spot price for gas was down over 50 cents and is almost back to March 2nd levels.

Won't see a drop for a while outside of a blip here or there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I'll start first.

Gasoline in San Francisco is around $5.29 - $5.49 today. I heard on the news that somewhere in the Bay Area it is over $7.00.

Electricity and natural gas went up twice so far. Lots of complaining. As soon as we pass PG&E inspection of our solar system, we should never have to worry about that anymore.

Eating out is definitely more expensive. Although not horribly so. The food truck prices went up the most. Likely due to the increasing gas price.

Groceries don't change much. We shopped at the local Oriental and Middle Eastern supermarkets. Chicken thigh was $1.09 at the Chinese market. Ground lamb was $3.99. Duck liver lap cheong (Chinese sausage) was $5.99. Beef is up. Pork is cheap. Vegetables, fruits and nuts are, in my opinion, cheap. Two pounds of ugly looking giant mineo tangelo at the Middle Eastern market went for $1.00. Giant Haas avocados were 5 for $2.00. The benefits of living next to the salad bowl region of the US.

Thankfully electricity is rate locked till at least summer in our state.
    Home heating oil spiked up to 5.25 but has backed down to 4.50-4.75, from 2.80 last month.
    Gas can be had for around 4.15 but is selling for upwards of 4.99 in some localities.

My food bill is down because i stopped spending it on expensive items that are greatly affected by inflation. Most people won't make these adjustments. But if i brought the same foods it's probably 20-25% more expensive right now than at the start of the year. Its corporations and business taking advantage of spikes while they can hide the increases and blame everyone else. They will drop the prices somewhat but it will never return to baseline no matter what happens.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

7+ Year Old Account
    How bad is inflation in your area?
    I think inflation has been around 7.5% lately.

Increases in the size of numbers and the quantity of money basically doesn't matter over the long run though because everything in life will automatically adjust to its true underlying value, including the value of a person's labor.
    Last edited by PC2; 2022-10-20 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I think inflation has been around 7.5% lately. I don't see why anyone would care about inflation that much because a person who has a lot of 'money' is an idiot, 90% of 'wealth' should be in real estate, stocks/businesses, and anything else with inherit value or growth potential. Not money.

Increases in the size of numbers and the quantity of money basically doesn't matter because everything in life will automatically adjust to its true underlying value, including the value of a person's labor.
    If you won't post seriously or honestly, it would be best to not post at all; similar to "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all".

the problem isn't how bad it is now it's how bad it will more than likely will get...

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    the problem isn't how bad it is now it's how bad it will more than likely will get...
    Pretty bad because real inflation is much higher most figures do not include housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    If you won't post seriously or honestly, it would be best to not post at all; similar to "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all".
    He's just showing his ignorance once again...talking about things he knows nothing about.

- - - Updated - - -

I may go from measuring every buck spent to every mouthful of food.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Pretty bad because real inflation is much higher most figures do not include housing.
    CPI includes housing/rents.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

7+ Year Old Account
    What do you think the solution will look like? Here's what I think:

-We can slow down money creation or increase interest rates if it is needed.
    -As people become more educated they can earn more income which increases buying power.
    -As science/tech gets better we can create and transport everything more efficiently and cheaply.
    Last edited by PC2; 2022-10-20 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I'm being 100% honest, serious, and accurate. Most people misunderstand inflation and think it is a much bigger problem than it actually is.
    well, most people also look at inflation without then adjusting for wage gains, especially wage gains by income group.

https://www.atlantafed.org/chcs/wage-growth-tracker

1st quartile (poorest) saw their wages grow 5.9% in the same period inflation hit 7.9%. So real impact of inflation on the poorest is 2%.

2- 4.4%
    3- 3.7%
    4- 3.2%

The more money you make the bigger impact of inflation, but your ability to afford it increases.

So for as much as republicans are going to make a big deal out of 7.9% inflation its really not as bad as it sounds. In the past when we had massive inflation we have low growth in wages.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!