Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Ahhh yes the "west" again.
    Leave North West out of this mess. She is only 9 afterall.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    The video linked just says, "His name was released (as/its?) Sam Hyde"

But really, does it matter? If a major media outlet reported you as a shooter, would it ultimately matter if they said, "Orange Joe did it" or "Maybe Orange Joe did it" when it comes to the potential effect on you and your life?

It's just not a good look all around. Lets be honest, no matter what side of the line you stand on, we can all agree that sometimes even the most well-meaning media outlets jump the gun sometimes in an attempt to get the scoop.
    Exact words in video.

Apparently his name was released, sam hyde

This does NOT mean. It was confirmed to be sam hyde

When it gets cleared up shortly after there is no harm done.
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.
    Yo, don't mind my "street talk"

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Exact words in video.

Apparently his name was released, sam hyde

This does NOT mean. It was confirmed to be sam hyde

When it gets cleared up shortly after there is no harm done.
    Come on, this is just being dishonest.

If I said on national television, "Apparently Orange Joe eats babies." or something, of course that would be awful for you. Corrections/retractions rarely ever have the effect of nullifying the effect of the initial statement.

I don't know why this is even a contentious subject. It would be a shitty thing to happen to anyone, I don't know how that's even up for debate.

Come on, this is just being dishonest.

If I said on national television, "Apparently Orange Joe eats babies." or something, of course that would be awful for you. Corrections/retractions rarely ever have the effect of nullifying the effect of the initial statement.

I don't know why this is even a contentious subject. It would be a shitty thing to happen to anyone, I don't know how that's even up for debate.
    Can you show anyone who has had their life ruined in such a way

Jesus Christ, man.

Seriously, why should anyone take you seriously on this topic when you can't even agree with the most basic shit like, "Lets get the identity of people right before reporting their names in mass murders."

See anyone that has had a rape allegation thrown at them that turned out to be false... You can google, it certainly isn't even close to 0, and also the whole reddit/boston bomber thing where the guy committed suicide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Jesus Christ, man.

Seriously, why should anyone take you seriously on this topic when you can't even agree with the most basic shit like, "Lets get the identity of people right before reporting their names in mass murders."
    You have this idea that "The Truth™" is marked out in all-caps and easily identifiable. Reporters can only ever report the best information they have available, and the usual standard is two corroborating sources at a minimum, or direct quotation. So two different sources saying "I think the shooter's name is X" independently, or a quote from, say, the Chief of Police or a lead investigator saying "we think his name is X", though the latter would be reported as "Chief of Police/lead investigator says".

If they went off because of one random Tweet by a nobody and plastered a name all over, then sure, that was unethical and they'll probably get administrative penalties or even (likely) fired. If they had confirmed sources and the sources were wrong, though? The journalist is 100% in the clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You have this idea that "The Truth™" is marked out in all-caps and easily identifiable.
    I'm aware, but when someone is so eager to get the scoop that they're reporting the name of someone and using their photo just because of internet memes, can we all maybe just agree that it's really shitty?

Jesus Christ, man.

How about the fact it wasn't even the reporter that stated the name? She asked a question and THAT person got it wrong. Are reporters not suppose to ask people questions anymore cause they might answer wrong?

How about the fact it wasn't even the reporter that stated the name? She asked a question and THAT person got it wrong. Are reporters not suppose to ask people questions anymore cause they might answer wrong?
    There was another time it happened live... I vaguely remember the situation. It was a live stream of a shooter who shot two mentality disabled people to death and died in a fire fight with police.

They actually announced sam hyde's death on that stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentim View Post
    There was another time it happened live... I vaguely remember the situation. It was a live stream of a shooter who shot two mentality disabled people to death and died in a fire fight with police.

They actually announced sam hyde's death on that stream.

So the best you have is 2 possible cases out of 100's and 100's of articles a day. Me thinks you guys are overstating the problem just so you can hate the media and proclaim it all as fake news rather than accept reality.

So the best you have is 2 possible cases out of 100's and 100's of articles a day. Me thinks you guys are overstating the problem just so you can hate the media and proclaim it all as fake news rather than accept reality.
    No just bemused that reporters both fall for the same meme on a pretty constant basis while special folks consider them gate keepers of truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentim View Post
    No just bemused that reporters both fall for the same meme on a pretty constant basis while special folks consider them gate keepers of truth.
    Can you timestamp the part in the video where the reporter is the one that said the name?

You are just misrepresenting what actually happened to conform to your confirmation bias.

you are not stopping propaganda. humans are the most easily manipulated species on the planet. propaganda fuels the manipulation.

This thread got way off topic. This is a suggestion forum, not a discussion forum.

To respond to the initial suggestion: if you feel someone is on this site for nefarious reasons, just use the report function, and leave your reason for reporting in the report window. It's that simple. It doesn't matter what the exact reason is for reporting someone, just report it and we will look into it.

If you feel that after doing that there's still a problem, feel free to take the issue up with a blue (Global) moderator and we can explain more in depth, most likely.

Closing this here, after this got derailed.

CLOSED.