Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Does MMO-C Leadership Have a Plan for State Sponsored Propaganda?

Does the owner or leadership at have a policy to deal with state sponsored accounts spamming a forum with propaganda?

Other social media sites have slowly begun to deal with this issue by banning propaganda accounts. Do you?

From the end-user perspective they really suck.
    • Them constantly spamming the same lies and gaslight is like experiencing emotional abuse.
    • Why visit MMO-C to get abused?
    • Watching them bait other well-meaning users into bans also sucks.
    • They have baited some of the higher-quality-posters into bans. Losing the better writers like that sucks.

Its been stupidly obvious problem since the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17. The current Ukraine Crisis is exposing the problem all over again.

Just a suggestion, but you might want to clarify and announce whatever policies you have to address this.

Be well.

15+ Year Old Account
    I concur with OP.

As a long time user of these forums, I endorse the above sentiments 100%.
    Here is something to believe in!

Which side propaganda should be allowed?

What do you mean which side? Ukraine is simply reporting the BS they are putting up with, Russia is intentionally making false claims, fake news articles, etc to make them look better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Which side propaganda should be allowed?
    If you think this is about "sides", then you're deliberately misunderstanding or misrepresenting the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Armael View Post
    What do you mean which side? Ukraine is simply reporting the BS they are putting up with, Russia is intentionally making false claims, fake news articles, etc to make them look better.
    I'll take "Snake Island" for 100, Alex. Bonus round if "Ghost of Kyiv" is hidden in there too.

Should it all be censored?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If you think this is about "sides", then you're deliberately misunderstanding or misrepresenting the question.
    In the era of disinformation every side is pushing their side forth. If you can't see that, you are deliberately misunderstanding or misreprenting the issue at hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    We've seen some generally shitty and morally bankrupt companies do the right thing, already. Shouldn't be a big ask for this place to follow suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

I'll take "Snake Island" for 100, Alex. Bonus round if "Ghost of Kyiv" is hidden in there too.

- - - Updated - - -

In the era of disinformation every side is pushing their side forth. If you can't see that, you are deliberately misunderstanding or misreprenting the issue at hand.
    Some sides don't need disinformation, just information.

Safe to say any and all pro-Russia information you see today is full of shit.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you see propaganda, report the post for such and move on. Reporting does work.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

• Why visit MMO-C to get abused?
    First time here?

10+ Year Old Account
    Did MMO-C do anything about the "Stop The Steal"?
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

While I sympathize on a very personal level with the current events going on in Europe, I'm highly against this. We've seen just how far discussion on many other websites and platforms has devolved into echo chambers, with censorship being driven like a nail into a discussion's coffin.

This would open Pandora's box for MMOC's "authorities on moral verticality" to classify and report people for "state sponsored propaganda" on a whim. The way you handle this is by simply ignoring the posts that are glaring baiting you.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Keeping propaganda out is not censorship ffs
    It is, when there's the possibility for everything to be declared propaganda, even legitimate concerns.

If, for example, someone says they stronger border control, one of the resident MMOC intellectuals will jump out and say it is Russian propaganda for Trump or something like that. This is a very real occurence. It silently intimidates people into not discussing certain subjects.

Now you have OP pretending like people need to be protected from propaganda and trying to present it like this website's owners condone aggression on Ukraine because a few trolls appear here and there. It is a weasly way of having someone do what you want them to do by putting them into an uncomfortable position. This is exactly why it shouldn't be done.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2022-03-11 at 02:53 AM.

Why is it that your main argument here is to misrepresent the subject at hand?
    Because the subject at hand will affect thousands of subjects that aren't at hand in the present, but will be in the future. In the end, I won't discuss whatever this site forbids because I'm ultimately a guest here.

If a non-specific rule is added about "state propaganda is forbidden", then you'll have different topics end up being flagged as such because it rustled someone's feathers. If they make a specific rule, about disallowing specific claims, then that's another thing(ie "saying XXXX is forbbiden"). It is this free-for-all interepretation that is the problem.

So because it is very important and will affect thousands in the future what happens on MMO-C message boards, you admit to purposefully misrepresenting and twisting what this thread and OP is referring to?

Seems legit. Or nefarious idk
    What exactly am I twisting? I simply don't wish to see a rule that isn't specific. Disallowing specific things from being said is fine, but it should be specified what it is. It could end up being a list of a hundred things, but it should never be left open for interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    If you see propaganda, report the post for such and move on. Reporting does work.
    This.
    Let the mod squad decide if a reported post is propaganda or not.
    other than that, "ignore" works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, no. This is false. It's just "both sides are equally bad" fallacious nonsense.

Disinfo should be opposed for its existence, not because of which "side" is producing it.

- - - Updated - - -

One's own verified information is the best tool to fight disinformation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yeah, no. This is false. It's just "both sides are equally bad" fallacious nonsense.

Disinfo should be opposed for its existence, not because of which "side" is producing it.
    What I believe he meant with that is that Ukraine has had its own share of false information come out since the start of the war, which would - according to this rule and due to being reposted by a number of users who were misguided by disinformation - result in the punishment for spreading propaganda.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    What he meant is that Ukraine has had its own share of false information, which would - according to this rule and due to being reposted by a number of users who were misguided by disinformation - result in the punishment for spreading propaganda.
    We're not just talking about Ukraine. And again, trying to make it about "sides" is completely missing the point, and attempting to introduce partisan chicanery, because you'd rather engage in blind support of a "side" rather than prevent disinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Really? Because that's what we hear from the disinfo junkies. They verified the info and the rest of us are just ignorant.
    So dinsinfo junkies like to verify information before accepting it? What do informed people do then? They don't attempt to verify the information they're given?