Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Politics sub-forum was a mistake.

When you choose to frequent a video game dedicated website for your daily does of global political discourse and debate… and become upset that perceived poor moderation is happening, or not happening to the level it should for such “high quality” world affairs/geo-political discussion and debate, you need to figure out your priorities.
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2022-03-27 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post

When you choose to frequent a video game dedicated website for your daily does of global political discourse and debate… and become upset that perceived poor moderation is happening, or not happening to the level it should for such “high quality” world affairs/geo-political discussion and debate, you need to figure out your priorities.
    Yup. Gen-OT and it's sub forum is fairly cancerous on everything here.

WoW, just like most Blizzard games are insanely popular in Russia. These people you're accusing of being state-sponsored shills might very well be people who genuinely hold these ideas, however misguided/brainwashed you feel they might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    The OP posting this topic while using that avatar is better satire than anything Verhoeven could've come up with.
    Would you like to know more?

Indeed, though it might well be that such a section was created to compartmentalize the politics from the rest of the forums.

How exactly do the mods of this forum determine an account is a "state-sponsored" account/paid shill? "It's obvious"? No.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xmirrors View Post
    How exactly do the mods of this forum determine an account is a "state-sponsored" account/paid shill? "It's obvious"? No.
    The same way they determine if an account is flaming or trolling. Personal judgement. It's not like there's some kind of external appeal system if someone thinks they made the wrong call. That's how it's always been, and how pretty much any privately-owned platform works. They don't have to prove anything​ to you, or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The same way they determine if an account is flaming or trolling. Personal judgement. It's not like there's some kind of external appeal system if someone thinks they made the wrong call. That's how it's always been, and how pretty much any privately-owned platform works. They don't have to prove anything​ to you, or anyone else.
    Oooooor we can just allow anyone with an opinion to express it? If an opinion is over the top or actually dangerous then infract the post. If it continues, continue infracting until the account is banned. Rinse and repeat. If the behavior continues, consider permanently banning said account. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how it is today?

Considering these accounts that you guys seem to be SURE are shills are still around indicates to me that the current moderators have already made their opinions on them clear. They aren't saying anything damning enough to close them. So what would a policy change like this do?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xmirrors View Post
    Oooooor we can just allow anyone with an opinion to express it? If an opinion is over the top or actually dangerous then infract the post. If it continues, continue infracting until the account is banned. Rinse and repeat. If the behavior continues, consider permanently banning said account. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how it is today?

Considering these accounts that you guys seem to be SURE are shills are still around indicates to me that the current moderators have already made their opinions on them clear. They aren't saying anything damning enough to close them. So what would a policy change like this do?
    I think it's already covered under trolling, honestly. I was just pointing out that the "how could they tell?" argument doesn't hold up. Neither does the "but it's just their opinion" one. Mods use their judgement, and nobody here has any right to use these forums in ways the admins don't want us to.

I grok this is the best post in the thread.

Don't take online conversation with strangers so seriously, we're not solving any problems here. It's all a lark.

Plus, it's funny to watch people dig deeper and deeper when things don't go their way. If you're not laughing at the Putinistas yet, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Mods are not journalists, how do you think they could verifiy whether a source is legit?
    Journalists have long proven they can't verify any sources either. Any "news" site that reported Russian Collusion, The Ghost of Kiev, or COVID from a Wet Market is a propaganda institution.

- - - Updated - - -

Typically it is done for containment. So if people post political stuff elsewhere, you can move it/redirect it instead of just banning them.

But certain types tend to create "purity tests" via the politics forum then harass/support people on other subforums.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Journalists have long proven they can't verify any sources either. Any "news" site that reported Russian Collusion, The Ghost of Kiev, or COVID from a Wet Market is a propaganda institution.

Not a reason to start denying reality.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    If you see propaganda, report the post for such and move on. Reporting does work.
    No it don't. I've reported many obvious rule breaks for nothing to happen. When msging a mod you get the normal "it slipped by" bs excuse.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Mods are not journalists, how do you think they could verifiy whether a source is legit?
    Most journalists can't either tbh. I've seen boogie the youtuber featured in offical articles as having died in Ukraine a few times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentim View Post
    Most journalists can't either tbh. I've seen boogie the youtuber featured in offical articles as having died in Ukraine a few times.
    Can you link some?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Large companies can do this because they have access to the analytics tools to prove or at least to present a strong case that certain accounts are state-sponsored propaganda. This is the key, it needs to be state-sponsored. If it is individuals just regurgitating it, you deal with it with the ignore function. But unless you have the data to show that a certain user really is being paid their turnips to post here, that's not a reason to get rid of them.

The fact that they keep coming back after getting infracted within days of returning multiple times in a row is a separate issue but those threads are locked.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    Any "news" site that reported Russian Collusion, The Ghost of Kiev, or COVID from a Wet Market is a propaganda institution.
    The quality news sites would never report it as fact. The really good ones would even make it clear that it is not a fact but hearsay from the title alone to avoid clickbait.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Can you link some?
    Let me see if I can... I know Sam hyde and boggie dying are popular ones... the problem is they have happened so often it's almost impossible to find the orginal sources.

It's hard to find the news reports as they are taken down off their orginal sources. The easiest to find is the one involving a us congressman.

15+ Year Old Account
    Let me see if I can... I know Sam hyde and boggie dying are popular ones... the problem is they have happened so often it's almost impossible to find the orginal sources.

It's hard to find the news reports as they are taken down off their orginal sources. The easiest to find is the one involving a us congressman.
    This one? I enjoyed it a lot.

( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Does the owner or leadership at have a policy to deal with state sponsored accounts spamming a forum with propaganda?

Other social media sites have slowly begun to deal with this issue by banning propaganda accounts. Do you?

From the end-user perspective they really suck.
    • Them constantly spamming the same lies and gaslight is like experiencing emotional abuse.
    • Why visit MMO-C to get abused?
    • Watching them bait other well-meaning users into bans also sucks.
    • They have baited some of the higher-quality-posters into bans. Losing the better writers like that sucks.

Its been stupidly obvious problem since the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17. The current Ukraine Crisis is exposing the problem all over again.

Just a suggestion, but you might want to clarify and announce whatever policies you have to address this.

Be well.
    The issue with such an attempt is that the US is the most vociferous source of propaganda in at least the Anglosaxon sphere of influence (a.k.a. "The entire internet" / "The entire world" to those who are limited to just that language or even just that mode of communication respectively).

And even speaking against well liked pieces of propaganda is oftentimes bombarded to being propaganda in itself.

I'm not saying that you are intentionally advocating censorship (with all unsurprising consequences), but in practice your calls do boil down to exactly that.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post

It's one of them but there have been genuine news stations that have reported him as multiple mass shooters. Journalists are extremely poor judges of what is and isnt fake news.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    I think you 2 are just reading random shit, calling it journalism to confirmation bias what you want to believe.

Sam hyde links results to many different people

There was a death hoax on boogie a couple years ago, but not what you are trying to claim.

That tweet is from a clear parody account not a real journalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I think you 2 are just reading random shit, calling it journalism to confirmation bias what you want to believe.

Sam hyde links results to many different people

There was a death hoax on boogie a couple years ago, but not what you are trying to claim.

That tweet is from a clear parody account not a real journalist.
    They have had people on air talk about sam hyde being an active shooter... it's hard to find the links because he started bringing in lawsuits but it's a very common occurrence for journalist to just run with the first thing they are told and then retract later.