Page 1 of 142
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

2022-2023 NFL Thread

Welcome everyone to the 2022-2023 NFL Thread

Where we discuss the 2022-2023 NFL season from the legal tampering days in March, all the way to the Superbowl of this season on February 12, 2023 at State Farm Stadium (Glendale, Arizona) with all the news and all the games that go on in between.

Thread Rules:

There aren't many specific rules in this thread other than the normal forum rules that apply everywhere. We expect people to follow the spirit of the thread and the forum, mostly by respecting that every one has a favorite team and is entitled to cheer for them. Some banter is fine, insulting and trolling is not.

We also ask to keep the discussion largely centered around the current season and to leave in depth discussions about which team or player from yesteryear was better than which other team/player to threads made to discuss such a topic.

Let's start off with some things from last year's thread:

Links to previous seasons threads:

2010-2013 thread: link
    2013-2014 thread: link
    2014-2015 thread: link
    2015-2016 thread: link
    2016-2017 thread: link
    2017-2018 thread: link
    2018-2019 thread: link
    2019-2020 thread: link
    2020-2021 thread: link
    2021-2022 thread: link

Calendar 2022:

March

Mar. 1-7 NFL Scouting Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Indiana.

Mar. 8 Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.

Mar. 14-16 During the period beginning at 12:00 noon, New York time, on March 14 and ending at 3:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 16, clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become unrestricted free agents upon the expiration of their 2021 player contracts at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 16.
    During the above two-day negotiating period, a prospective UFA who is not represented by an NFLPA Certified Contract Advisor is permitted to communicate directly with a new club’s front office officials (excluding the head coach and other members of the club’s coaching staff) regarding contract negotiations.
    No prospective unrestricted free agent is permitted to execute a contract with a new club until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 16.

Mar. 16 The 2022 League Year and Free Agency period begin at 4:00 p.m., New York time.
    The first day of the 2022 League Year will end at 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 16. Clubs will receive a Personnel Notice that will include all transactions submitted to the League office during the period between 4:00 p.m., New York time, and 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 16.

Mar. 16 Trading period for 2022 begins at 4:00 p.m., New York time, after expiration of all 2021 contracts.

Mar. 27-30 Annual League Meeting, The Breakers, Palm Beach, Florida.

April

April 4 Clubs that hired a new head coach after the end of the 2021 regular season may begin offseason workout programs.

April 18 Clubs with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs

April 20 Deadline to bring draft-eligible players to their facilities for a physical examination.

April 22 Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets.

April 27 Deadline for prior club to exercise Right of First Refusal to restricted free agents.

April 27 Deadline to time, test, and interview draft-eligible players.

April 28-30 NFL Draft, Las Vegas, Nevada.

July

Mid July Training Camp

August

All August Training Camp and Pre-Season games

September

September ?? Start of the Season with the ??? at the Los Angeles Rams to open the season on a Thursday and the rest of the league on Sunday and Monday after.

Continued Discussion:

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1503339748915650560

Adams won't play for Green Bay on the franchise tag.
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Green Bay cap situation is a disaster with him on the tag anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Because of the lockout MLB and NFL free agency is happening at the same time and I'm in rumor overload.

Lastly:

We hope everyone that likes football will join us as we go on the journey to learn who will eventually follow last year's winners the Los Angeles Rams as the 2022-2023 NFL Superbowl LVI winners.

Have at it, ladies and gentlemen!

Signed, the mods.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2022-03-14 at 02:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In before Crissi complains that once again we're signing stuff in her name.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

I don't think Adams has much leverage with the current collective bargaining deal. Green Bay has most of the power here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    I don't think Adams has much leverage with the current collective bargaining deal. Green Bay has most of the power here.
    Adams will keep their cap situation screwed without a new deal, and he can keep that going all the way through training camp up to week 1, then sign it, and show up to play and have GB be on the hook for his 20M, regardless of not training or anything.

He has allllll the leverage.

Either Green Bay does what he wnats or he holds them hostage, as long as he doesn't sign the tender.

But, from his point of view, worst case scenario, Green Bay rescinds his tag, and he's a free man, and Green Bay gets zero compensation, not even a compensatory pick next year.

So, he has Green Bay right where he wants them and they better give him the deal mostly like he wants it.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Adams will keep their cap situation screwed without a new deal, and he can keep that going all the way through training camp up to week 1, then sign it, and show up to play and have GB be on the hook for his 20M, regardless of not training or anything.

He has allllll the leverage.

Either Green Bay does what he wnats or he holds them hostage, as long as he doesn't sign the tender.

But, from his point of view, worst case scenario, Green Bay rescinds his tag, and he's a free man, and Green Bay gets zero compensation, not even a compensatory pick next year.

So, he has Green Bay right where he wants them and they better give him the deal mostly like he wants it.
    He really doesn't. It is not hard for many teams to juggle the cap around, example being New Orleans. If Green Bay wanted to play hardball they could extend some other contracts to move money around and just have the space in case he signs and force him to play under that one year deal. Or Adams can sit out some or all of the year and GB is not on the hook.

Soon as the fines start rolling in, he's dead in the water. The new collective bargaining deal heavily punishes players that try this tactic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    He really doesn't. It is not hard for many teams to juggle the cap around, example being New Orleans. If Green Bay wanted to play hardball they could extend some other contracts to move money around and just have the space in case he signs and force him to play under that one year deal. Or Adams can sit out some or all of the year and GB is not on the hook.

Soon as the fines start rolling in, he's dead in the water. The new collective bargaining deal heavily punishes players that try this tactic.
    Well, Packers just let Zadarius Smith go, so they do have more room to work now, but my point still stands, he can not sign his tender till nearly Week 1, sign it and show up. That means the Packers have 20M doing nothing and not getting in shape for the season.

Yes, if he doesn't show for Week 1 he forgoes his money, but as long as he doesn't sign his tender the Packers have no power over him. No fines, no nothing. He's not actually on their team without signing it.

So it is still in both sides best interest to get a deal done, but Adams has nothing to worry about for MONTHS while the Packers want him signed pronto or it screws up their off season.

EDIT: He's not on the team, but he IS counting on their cap. Fun fact.

Pretty sure it was known the Packers weren't going to keep Za'Darius Smith for over a year now. Someone is going to pay him a ton of money.

Looks like there will be a bunch of RTs available in FA, why can't teams be releasing their centers instead?

Nice to see Isaiah McKenzie get a new contract. Hopefully they give him more snaps on offense.
    Last edited by Grube; 2022-03-14 at 03:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Looks like there will be a bunch of RTs available in FA, why can't teams be releasing their centers instead?
    Bills signed theirs to an extension, for more money.

Patriots have Ted Karras as a FA. Used to be switchable C/G back up, played C for the Patriots in 2019 when Andrews dealt with bloodclots, played C for the Dolphins in 2020 on a 1 year deal, then signed a deal with Patriots to replace Andrews at C, right before Andrews came back anyway. Then filled in at LG for most of the year, stabilizing the line which had struggled early on.

He's definitely a starter in this league, and he has played C, so he might fit your needs. Going to guess he's sick of 1 year deals though and wants an actual contract.

- - - Updated - - -

Surprisingly slow so far. Only the Bengals handed out a deal in like 5 seconds. Guess the teams got the message that doing deals in 5 seconds is not possible and that you need to at least give the IDEA of time having passed when negotiating started...

- - - Updated - - -

Trubisky to the Steelers to replace Big Ben. LOL

2 year deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently the Saints are in on Watson, no idea how since his 2022 cap number is huge.

Landry also hitting the market as the Browns shake up their receiving group.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Trubisky to the Steelers to replace Big Ben. LOL

2 year deal.
    That is an upgrade over Ben the last couple of years. Their only other real option was to hope one of the QBs in the draft could play week 1, since Rudolph is Drew Lock level of bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is an upgrade over Ben the last couple of years.
    I was surprised, but this seems to actually be true numbers wise. Do have to wonder how Trubs does with the Steelers leaky O-line though. He's going to have to think and act fast. Not exactly his stong suit.

I bet the Steelers still draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd though. This is a stop gap measure.

- - - Updated - - -

"The #Bengals are signing OL Ted Karras to a 3-year, $18M deal, source said."

That's Karras gone. At that price point though, kinda wish that maybe the Patriots had made an effort too.

Bengals shore up both guard spots with actual NFL caliber starters, perhaps C, if Karras is playing there instead of G. Good get for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is an upgrade over Ben the last couple of years. Their only other real option was to hope one of the QBs in the draft could play week 1, since Rudolph is Drew Lock level of bad.
    All Trubisky needs is all the luck that inflated his 2018 season again and their situation might slightly improve. If Mitchell Trubisky is the answer, what the hell was the question?
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Huh. Usually I have a hot take for these page 1s.

But I don't think "Watson is being traded to Carolina" or "Packers aren't making the Super Bowl" are hot.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

15+ Year Old Account
    It would be legendary if trubisky turned into a great qb. Like Red Sox trading babe Ruth level when you put into perspective chicago trading up out of nowhere then dumping him.
    Last edited by ProphetFlume; 2022-03-14 at 06:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well didn't take long for the Packers to start getting rakes flipped into their face.

Adams says he will not play on the Franchise Tag, which given they also are going to be spending near-record money on Rodgers makes their cap gymnastics that much worse.

Allbright said Melvin Gordon won't be back with the Broncos, so I expect him to be signing back with them sometime soon.

Haason Reddick is getting $15 mill a year. I was expecting the edge rushers to get more than that, but I guess there are quite a few of them available.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    All Trubisky needs is all the luck that inflated his 2018 season again and their situation might slightly improve. If Mitchell Trubisky is the answer, what the hell was the question?
    At least Trubisky is more mobile than a tree, so he has that going for him.

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys are quick to doubt the NVP.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys are quick to doubt the NVP.
    Wasn't the NVP this year the QB of the losing team?

4 year $84 mill for Christian Kirk is insane. He has the same number of TDs and barely more yards the last 2 years than Tim Patrick...

Yeah that Kirk number is insane but I guess they want to really test if Trevor Lawrence sinks or swims? They signed a pretty big name on the OL too iirc.

Bills released two guards, signed a pro-bowl (but older) guard from the Titans, and, in a pleasant surprise, re-signed Isaiah McKenzie for what appears to be peanuts - 4.4m over 2 years. Considering Barrios just got $12m for 2 years from the Jets and McKenzie is better than Barrios (imo), he's playing for the ring.