[UK] Upgrade help

Hello. I managed to get my hands on a 3080, specifically Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC.
    What would be a good idea to upgrade along the way?

Current setup is:
    Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

Intel Core I7-6700K

Corsair Vengeance 2x16 GB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2, 80+ GOLD 550W

Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming

Using 2 monitors, might bump to 3 later this year. Mostly for gaming with occasional digital drawing. Main monitor is 27 inch 2560x1440.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you aren't unsatisfied with performance, don't upgrade anything

if you are, tell us what you're unsatisfied with so we can tell you if it's worth it

Mostly just looking for stable 60 fps at least at max graphics settings in new games. So right now (though I played a year ago) Cyberpunk 2077 can be run on medium settings at 2560x1440 for comfortable 50ish fps, stuttering to lower numbers depending on what's happening. Would like to be able to play that at 60 with max graphics if possible. As an example.
    Overall just looking to be able to pull max graphics settings in modern/new games at 2560x1440.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    Mostly just looking for stable 60 fps at least at max graphics settings in new games. So right now (though I played a year ago) Cyberpunk 2077 can be run on medium settings at 2560x1440 for comfortable 50ish fps, stuttering to lower numbers depending on what's happening. Would like to be able to play that at 60 with max graphics if possible. As an example.
    Overall just looking to be able to pull max graphics settings in modern/new games at 2560x1440.
    You should be able to get that in Cyberpunk right now, with the right adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    You should be able to get that in Cyberpunk right now, with the right adjustments.
    Gotcha, thanks. Any point in worrying about the PSU or this one should still be enough?

Gotcha, thanks. Any point in worrying about the PSU or this one should still be enough?
    I havent done the math to see if its sized properly, but if your power draw hasnt increased and you sized it appropriately to begin with, I wouldnt worry about it.

You should be looking to upgrade your GPU and probably CPU soonish, if you want to maintain max settings and get around 60fps, but for now its passable. The thing is everything is so expensive, your dollar spent for output increase is going to be reeeally high.
    Last edited by Daymanmb; 2022-03-18 at 08:13 PM.

I strongly recommend a 144hz GSync/Freesync monitor if you don't have one.

All those frustrations where a game dips below 60 and looks choppy as all fuck on a 60Hz screen just disappear. And of course if the game can go above 60, a high frame rate monitor lets it.

I havent done the math to see if its sized properly, but if your power draw hasnt increased and you sized it appropriately to begin with, I wouldnt worry about it.

You should be looking to upgrade your GPU and probably CPU soonish, if you want to maintain max settings and get around 60fps, but for now its passable. The thing is everything is so expensive, your dollar spent for output increase is going to be reeeally high.
    I feel like waiting longer may result in even higher prices lol. I'm in a ok position right now to upgrade money-wise, hence why I bought the 3080. I should be ok to upgrade the CPU next month probably. Depending on which one that is and if it will require getting a new mobo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You’re gonna want to upgrade. You’re already below recommended specs by 200 for a 3080.
    Can you recommend one, please? Are the EVGA PSUs still good? Any models to ignore?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    I strongly recommend a 144hz GSync/Freesync monitor if you don't have one.

All those frustrations where a game dips below 60 and looks choppy as all fuck on a 60Hz screen just disappear. And of course if the game can go above 60, a high frame rate monitor lets it.
    Yeah, I know.. Been thinking of buying one and replacing my main monitor. What I need is definitely an IPS one that would be the main criteria, but the rest doesn't matter. What manufacturer would you recommend? I've only used BenQ for the past... 6-8 years? So don't really know about anything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    If you aren't unsatisfied with performance, don't upgrade anything

if you are, tell us what you're unsatisfied with so we can tell you if it's worth it
    this is dangerous advice considering OP is using a 3080 with a 550 watt power supply, if anything that should be upgraded ASAP and the card shouldn't be installed until that has taken place, a 3060Ti is rated for 600 watts minimum, for a 3080 the minimum spec power supply is 750 watts, ideally 800+ for headroom.

Yeah, I know.. Been thinking of buying one and replacing my main monitor. What I need is definitely an IPS one that would be the main criteria, but the rest doesn't matter. What manufacturer would you recommend? I've only used BenQ for the past... 6-8 years? So don't really know about anything else.
    I went with an LG one. That's an IPS as well. 27GL850, but I think there's a newer version of it out now. 27GL83A, maybe? Pricing and supply is all over the place at the minute.

Ugh, so much bad advice in this thread from the usual suspects.

Regarding prices being worse on upgrading the non-GPU components of your rig:

Wouldn't worry. Prices are coming DOWN. AMD just anounced like six new SKUs to compete with Intel, which will keep prices low and competitive.

You already paid the piper for the expensive/gouged part: the GPU.

Secondly, what Temp said: if your 6700K is working OK, you dont need to upgrade it right now. If it isn't doing what you want it to do, then its time to upgrade.

Definitely dont listen to the fool who said you will bottleneck a 3080 with a 6700K. Maybe if you're playing at 1080p or something.. but in that case, the framerate would be so high that you likely wouldn't be able to see it anyway unless you had a 300hz+ monitor.

I would assume you're going to be trying to go 1440p/high refresh, in which.. youll find the 6700K is still quite viable. Now, if you're intending stream and do lots of other stuff in the background.. then yeah, a 4 core/8 thread chip might chug a bit. But if you're just gaming and using Discord and a few websites? Youll be fine.

The PSU thing is a... maybe.

I have an 8600K @ 5ghz and a 3080 FE. My system hits ~425W at the wall under full torture test load. Mind, i have my GPU undervolted, which certainly contributes to helping lower the wattage used, but at my usage (CPU overclocked, GPU undervolted) i could get by on 550W withouit it being a serious concern.

However, if you arent comfortable undervolting (its not really hard at all, and it can REALLY keep temps down) or just dont want to deal with it.... maybe step up to a higher wattage unit.

The GPU manufacturer suggested numbers are always high (because they are assuming everyone they sell to has a non-rated, bargain-bin, no-name PSU), but 550 might be a bit tight for a 3080 at stock. Itd run, but if there were unexpected spikes for some reason, it might trip Overcurrent Protection and shut the machine down.

Grab a good 650W or higher. with not knowing what the future will bring CPU-power-requirements wise with Zen 4 and Intel's upcoming Raptor Lake (13th gen), id go 700-750W just to be careful because right now the price difference between a 650 and 750 is probably 10-15$.

As for a good 1440p monitor, if they are available near you, Dell has a really good 27", 1440p, IPS, 144hz G-sync Compatible monitor

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell..._6u2AIjmO05Uin

Im not sure what itd be like in the UK. I have the older, TN version and its been a great monitor, with good color even for a TN.

- - - Updated - - -

if you WANT to upgrade right now, the Intel 12600K is a real powerhouse for the price, easily pasting the similarly priced AMD cpus.

Dont get the DDR5 motherboards though - DDR5 is still a young enough technology that the speeds are still low and the latency still high enough that good, low latency, high speed DDR4 performs just as good and is way cheaper. Just get a good CL16 kit at 3200MHz or higher and youll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    this is dangerous advice considering OP is using a 3080 with a 550 watt power supply
    He has a 1080

Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
    Quite a few of you are saying 3080, not sure where thats coming from.
    Last edited by Daymanmb; 2022-03-19 at 12:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    He has a 1080

Quite a few of you are saying 3080, not sure where thats coming from.
    Literally the first line in his post
    Hello. I managed to get my hands on a 3080, specifically Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    this is dangerous advice considering OP is using a 3080 with a 550 watt power supply, if anything that should be upgraded ASAP and the card shouldn't be installed until that has taken place, a 3060Ti is rated for 600 watts minimum, for a 3080 the minimum spec power supply is 750 watts, ideally 800+ for headroom.
    A 550w *might* be fine..? Depends on workload and if it'll get some spicy power draw. For gaming you're probably right though

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Amazing you missed the second sentence.
    Oh jesus... I just looked at specs... why list the 1080?

I ended up upgrading the PSU, CPU and motherboard as well. Case too as all of the upgrades won't fit into the old one... only thing I need to get is a new mounting bracket for LGA1700 for my noctua nh-d15.
    Thank you all for all the replies and the help. I appreciate it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Think you should give me your GPU cos my 2070 FE puke on my Samsung Oddesey NEO G9 49".

On a more serious note, as other posters have already said the PSU would be next, CPU should be fine and ram is fine, DDR5 isnt a meaningful upgrade yet.
    Would also add, with that punch I would not overlook case/fans. It's individual of cos in regards to noise but packing heat in a generic case with poor airflow with out of the box fans can fuck up your temps and make throttling on PCU/GPU a bigger bottleneck that trying to swap X item individually.

Edit: well this post was redundant, missed that you upgraded. Nice
    Last edited by Bakis; 2022-04-02 at 11:34 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.