What's the best real war simulation multiplayer game?

I'm looking for a game that simulates real war as much as possible and has a sizable VS multiplayer where you can enter and play fast. I want to be able to choose between multiple roles and objectives such as infantry, vehicles, even aircrafts etc I don't want to be stuck into an infantry role with a rifle. You can kinda play multiple roles on overwatch but I hate scifi, it's probably my least favorite setting.

I looked into escape from tarkov and its setting and design is exactly what I'm looking for but the game is not a real war game but rather a survival game which focuses on avoidance.

Can you suggest a game with the characteristics that I'm looking for?

For realistic FPS games, the best are going to be Red Orchestra 2 (set during WW2 and Vietnam) and ARMA (first one is set during a proxy war between the US and Russia during the Cold War, 3 is set on islands during the modern day). No health regening. One shot can kill you just like that, also you can bleed to death. No minimap. Navigate by landmarks you see in the world. No UI telling you how many bullets you have loaded (you have to remember yourself). Red Orchestra is traditional PvP matches (join a match from a lobby, take objectives before time runs out, scoreboard at the end) while ARMA offers PvE campaigns where you can command a squadron of troops Mount & Blade style and work in conjunction with other NPC commanders and their units to capture objectives. Both games have vehicles.

- - - Updated - - -

For realistic aircraft PvP combat games, the most realistic one is DCS World. Be warned that it is absurdly realistic. You can just hop into a plane and press W to take off. You have to memorize the steps of pressing a dozen different buttons on your dashboard, turning knobs to the correct position, revving up the engine at the right time, etc, and that's just to start the plane. And the planes fly according to real physics so if you roll over too much, you will go into a fall you won't be able to pull out of and die. And landing your plane is very difficult. DCS is probably too hardcore simulationist for most people. Unfortunately every other aircraft combat game is very arcadey (War Thunder, World of Warplanes, Blazing Angels, Ace Combat, etc).

Finally, there are several naval themed games, but they all seem to be arcadey and/or have predatory monetization schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    DCS is probably too hardcore simulationist for most people. Unfortunately every other aircraft combat game is very arcadey (War Thunder, World of Warplanes, Blazing Angels, Ace Combat, etc).

Finally, there are several naval themed games, but they all seem to be arcadey and/or have predatory monetization schemes.
    I feel like War Thunder is ok for realism if you want to play in an appropriate game mode. War Thunder offers several realism modes (arcade - where its very simplified, realistic and simulator, with rising degrees of realism and difficulty per level). With WT you can also play ground warfare (tanks, anti-air, helicopters) or naval (blue water navy or coastal navy), across a variety of different timelines (so you can have WW2 era vehicles, korean war vehicles, or more modern stuff).

Hell let loose by far, though you won't play as plane.

ARMA 3 is *the* war sim hands down, even without additional mod packs the base game is absolutely LOADED - especially once you start getting into designing your own campaigns via editor or just plopping a DnD-like session through zeus.

With mods it gets absurd... you can have manually calculated artillery firing solutions if that's your thing, or fully fledged drone operator interfaces.

BUT, even on a beastly PC it'll perform like SHIT past a certain point of AI count / simulation activity, BI is well aware that their current engine is rather archaic and unable to leverage modern hardware, but work on arma 4 is well underway and their new engine will make use of CPUs as it should, it's prolly a few years out still though.

A good starter though is blastcore + MCC / Any up to date dynamic mission generator, it's sandbox warfare at its best.

Hell let loose got some really good gameplay, stunning game too.
    Do you hear the voices too?

ARMA 3 is your best bet. It's the commercial version of Virtual Battle Space which is used by various militaries for training. Arma 3 is the more gamified edition of it so it'd not be overly overwhelming and easy enough to pick up if you know your gaming.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Battlefield 5 is my one of the best.

Somebody once told me Squad is pretty realistic as well. Not sure if it has planes though.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/393380/Squad/
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

Quote Originally Posted by Bernardhargrave View Post
    Battlefield 5 is my one of the best.
    Maybe if they said "arcade" style.

Squad is my preferred mil-sim shooter. It's realistic and accessible, unlike Arma. I tried Hell Let Loose during some free to play weekends and it was fine. It still felt more arcadey to me than Squad though.

I mean people often confuse Arma footage with real life, so that's saying something.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Squad is my preferred mil-sim shooter. It's realistic and accessible, unlike Arma. I tried Hell Let Loose during some free to play weekends and it was fine. It still felt more arcadey to me than Squad though.
    I feel like HLL is a good in between for someone that want to play something close to war but don't need to press a button to get out a magazine, another to insert it, and another to pull back the charging handle. I know it's not actually like that but that's what it feels like whenever I try and step foot in a "mil-sim" game. HLL definitely has some arcadey elements to it, but it's been the most fun for intense firefights for me.

Hello! I tried different games with such criteria, but I found that Escape from Tarkov is what I like the most, because there are realistic fights and many interesting story missions. Although not all of them I can pass, as some tasks require a lot of time and effort. Therefore, in order not to waste my nerves in vain, I turn to *snip* for help. I like how quickly and professionally they work, and here I am always confident in the result.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2022-08-11 at 02:55 PM.

Just to add my 5c.

I play a lot of airsim so if thats your jam I cant recommend DCS enough. It is very hard though so be warned. My first time playing it I downloaded the game and bought the FA-18c aircraft to play around in. It came with a few hundred page manual, which I have not finished yet. After watching a couple of video's I managed to get the aircraft in the air at least. I am currently a couple hundred hours in and I can confidently take off, amateurishly try to shoot other planes down, ground strikes are a mystery to me since I havent put time into learning those systems and I can sometimes land successfully. The sense of achievement of doing something correctly and competently in that game is better than in most games.

I used to play warthunder a lot, and its a good game. It has a few seperate modes of play, one of which is realism mode. However it has lagged behind the other modes in development since it is not as popular. All the gamemodes have one thing in common : Grind! You have to go through insane grind to level up to other planes. Unlike DCS you can gain exprience and use that experience to unlock more advaned planes, however the time investment required is insane. And at higher levels you have to grind a lot just to be able to fly the planes you've unlocked. (Thats right, you have to pay in-game currency to fly the planes since it costs currency to repair, re-fuel and re-arm them. You can buy the in-game currency with real money, and you can pay for a subscription that brings the currency and xp in faster. But even with those the grind is still unbearable. It is a good game made bad by in-game monetization.

Holdfast, obviously.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

ARMA for the realism I guess
    Holdfast because mad fun
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

ARMA 3 has a shit ton of mods. Legendary game and failure DayZ was built on it. I have hundreds of hours spent into various mods.

Hell Let Loose is the most fun. ARMA is more of a mil-sim, but it's a mixed bag of performance and mechanical jank. Giving squad orders is hit & miss and you can see the "game" in ARMA in such a way that it is counter to the goal of the design.

Hell Let Loose, Tarkov, Squad (PVP only), and Ground Branch are better-designed games with a mil-sim heavy flavor.