Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Would you want time limited items to return if the content became relative again?

Random thread gave me the idea. With WoD dungeons being turned into mythic plus how would you feel if the WoD heirloom trinkets dropped again as a bonus reward much like they did in WoD?

I think it would be a nice little bonus reward but kind of curious about what the general feel is around these types of rewards.

Not a big fan of missables myself. I'm fine with things being rewarded for difficult tasks, but time-limited content doesn't sit well with me.

The approach to mage tower was an interesting one, I just struggled because due to the scaling, unlike the expansion it came from, there was no way to gear up further to make it easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaneo View Post
    Random thread gave me the idea. With WoD dungeons being turned into mythic plus how would you feel if the WoD heirloom trinkets dropped again as a bonus reward much like they did in WoD?

I think it would be a nice little bonus reward but kind of curious about what the general feel is around these types of rewards.
    No, not in any case. Exclusivity is good, not everyone needs to have everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    i missed out on getting conqueror of ulduar because the group i did it with couldn't manage to not have someone die on yogg, i missed out on black proto drake because at the time at least 4 people in our raid team were still stuck using dialup internet, and as you can guess were always the usual suspects when it came to things that required fast reaction timing, i missed out on getting the alliance warhorse mount from TOGC because i was low on the priority list of all the officers/raiders at the time, and despite having tribute to insanity and the special cloaks from it, i don't have the mount because the tribute chest was removed when ICC came out, i missed out on getting a few other things over the years and while i'm still a bit salty over that, having things in the game that are 'time locked' to the era they were available and now something of the past i think should stay that way, not everything should be obtainable by everyone, but by the same token they should really evaluate the time frame allowed for obtaining any item that is going to be a short run thing, the stupidly fast turnaround during wrath was far too short of a time window to obtain these things, and that's the system they kept moving forward like the sinestra 'undying' achievement being removed at the end of t11, or the introduction of 'ahead of the curve'/'cutting edge' back in MoP where you are restricted to getting things on a patch by patch basis and have no way to go back and try them again after getting better at the game either through gameplay or from gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    No, not in any case. Exclusivity is good, not everyone needs to have everything.
    Disagree. If you can earn it, you should have it and cut content is simply a waste.

Or make it a limited event like the seasonal content where you can earn old rewards but the difficulty will be scaled.

I can guarantee you people will still struggle to do say Pandaria/Draenor challenge modes or the Mage tower.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Exclusivity is a marketing strategy. The fact that it appeals to a small segment of gamers who need to find validation through their video game "achievements" doesn't make it a good thing.

Exclusivity based on a promo and based on completing a difficult challenge are two different things. I don't believe they mesh well or should be given the same rules.

I would be against readding pvp rewards. Not because I think it was harder to get glad in past expansion but I understand that classes and comps have changed so much that you can't replicate the difficulty. While pve there are changes of course.. classes doing mage tower now are not the same as those that did them in legion the difficulty feels the same to greater then it was in the past.

I don't see exclusivity as a good thing when it is dependent solely on a timed promo reward for that exclusivity.

Never liked time limited rewards. Always thought it was stupid. Be it PvP or Mage Tower.

PvP Sets because... why? Mythic Raiding Sets are not locked? Why are they? If i get the elite raiting i should be able to buy it.
    Make MageTower fixxed sclaed with disabled Expansion features and sockets. No reason not to have that. Same with challenge mode.

The hurdle should be skill level and for some stuff ridicioulus time investment. Time limited is just Fomo shit that reminds me of mobile games.

Exclusivity is important. Loot makes you feel good. Better loot makes you feel better. That is why it is behind a skill wall or timeinvested wall.

But just outright blocking it after a time is just wasted potention and punshes those who do not have the time in that moment. No reason at all speaks for it.

I am annoyed to hell and back that i could not get the challeneg mode stuff from wod because i had RL stuff going on. One expansion later more than enough time. Would have loved to do it. Wasted content

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Never liked time limited rewards. Always thought it was stupid. Be it PvP or Mage Tower.

PvP Sets because... why? Mythic Raiding Sets are not locked? Why are they? If i get the elite raiting i should be able to buy it.
    Make MageTower fixxed sclaed with disabled Expansion features and sockets. No reason not to have that. Same with challenge mode.

The hurdle should be skill level and for some stuff ridicioulus time investment. Time limited is just Fomo shit that reminds me of mobile games.

Exclusivity is important. Loot makes you feel good. Better loot makes you feel better. That is why it is behind a skill wall or timeinvested wall.

But just outright blocking it after a time is just wasted potention and punshes those who do not have the time in that moment. No reason at all speaks for it.

I am annoyed to hell and back that i could not get the challeneg mode stuff from wod because i had RL stuff going on. One expansion later more than enough time. Would have loved to do it. Wasted content
    Pvp I kind of get. You can never repeat the seasons balance so rewards for classes are not static. There are some seasons with very few certain classes earning elite sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    Pvp I kind of get. You can never repeat the seasons balance so rewards for classes are not static. There are some seasons with very few certain classes earning elite sets.
    Agreed. It's also stuff with absolutely zero functional benefits & hundreds of alternatives, so that's fine.

Functional stuff like the MoP/WoD heirlooms & actual content like the MoP/WoD legendary questlines should never have been removed, though.

Exclusivity has its places. But time based exclusivity is just marketing. No prestige or anything. That shouldn't exist.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    Agreed. It's also stuff with absolutely zero functional benefits & hundreds of alternatives, so that's fine.

Functional stuff like the MoP/WoD heirlooms & actual content like the MoP/WoD legendary questlines should never have been removed, though.
    I absolutely agree more so with mop and wod.. they removed huge chunks of the game lore to make a welfare leggo no one cared about feel a little more special...

that kinda depends on their uniqueness, content should never be removed, at worst moved to caverns of time as something hapening in past
    as for rewards usable things like heirloom trinkets should remain, cosmetics that doesnt have anything similar in game should remain, cosmetics that are ingame just in another color or a bit different could be removed, although i dont really see the point

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Exclusivity is not good, who lied to you? The more obtainable goals you can give a player the better. You don't want to have things that tell the player ''fk you, should have logged in on x date" instead of leaving content in the game for somebody to chase after at later dates.
    Exlusivity is good. Something everyone has is "worth" nothing. Treemount.

Exclusivity trough timelimitation is shit though.

It should come trhough skill and/or timeinvestment. Like a mount you have to grind one year every day for. This is something very few will ever have. But no one is ever barred from getting it. Or the Mythic Raiding mount.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post

Disagree. Just because there is a recolor doesn't mean they are the same. Hell most old PVP elite sets don't even have any alternatives. They are just gone forever.

Tiny bits of exclusivity are more than fine. If everything was exclusive, like all mounts and transmogs introduced in an expansion would become unobtainable in the next, then yeah, that would be a problem. So are features that are available for a very small window, like how Mage Tower was originally planned for 1 week every 3-4 months.

But as long as you have a handful of things that are available for 1-2 years, that's ok, like seriously .. if you can't find the time to complete something in 2 years, you can live without it.

The other alternative would be to always require the same amount of skill and/or time. Kind of like Mage Tower but designed with that in mind from the start, not re-tuned inaccurately some years later.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Disagree. Just because there is a recolor doesn't mean they are the same. Hell most old PVP elite sets don't even have any alternatives. They are just gone forever.
    I was on about transmog in general, not just recolours. There are hundreds of different options in every slot, so not being able to access a few PvP-specific recolours/classic items is not a big deal IMO. The only exception to this was the Guardian Druid Mage Tower reward, as there was absolutely nothing like it before or since - thankfully it's sorta back in the game thanks to the new MT.

I much prefer the way WoW does it to other MMOs who have time-sensitive content available in-game for awhile then it gets loaded up on the shop afterward.

Time limited content is stupid, so are time limited rewards.

Legacy achievements nothing comes to mind that would speak against it.

But timelimited rewards are economically stupid, too. It just means cutting attractive content from the game. Content that had a cost creating it.
    They just throw it out of the window.

Also it gives players who joined the game later the middle finger. How charming.

No, make new stuff. Stop making limited time stuff from now on but don't go reintroducing something previously labelled as limited time.