Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    I'm not sure why you think that is in any way relevant.
    A game's main genre defines its overall aesthetics and class and race options (when applicable). You wouldn't, for example, see "shaman" as a unit in Starcraft, or "spellcaster" as a class in Cyberpunk, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    A game's main genre defines its overall aesthetics and class and race options (when applicable). You wouldn't, for example, see "shaman" as a unit in Starcraft, or "spellcaster" as a class in Cyberpunk, for example.
    Aren't the protoss essentially psychic space wizards?

Quote Originally Posted by Dioporco View Post
    Final Fantasy is a high fantasy game and it has steampunk stuff.

DnD too

Maybe he/she chocked and meant "medieval" fantasy
    The Final Fantasy series is all over the place with it. To the point where they have roughly equal to modern societies based on magic technology. The initial antagonist of FF7 was an electric power company that was running their plants with life force instead of coal. FFXV is literally a road trip.

I think it's mostly just the pervasive myth that Fantasy = medieval, and a complete misunderstanding of what technology was available... or that swords and plate armour are actually fairly advanced stuff that requires a solid manufacturing base to pull off on a meaningful scale.

Quote Originally Posted by puddypounce View Post
    24 days until Tinker reveal by Blizzard. They have been investing an enormous amount of time from their animation and art teams into creating unique racial animations for the class. They see this as a love letter to the most wildly popular new class request.

Alliance:
    Gnomes: Gnomish tech (duh)
    Dark Iron Dwarves: Dark iron type tech (Think the drills and the BRD golems)
    Draenai: Alien crystal tech (you've seen the golems

Horde:
    Goblin: Standard goblin shredder type tech
    Mag'har orc: Iron Horde tech (It looks REALLY good).
    Blood Elf: Netherstorm blood elf type tech

Mail/intellect class.

Three specs:
    Enforcer: Tank. Battlesuit cooldown, with each race having a customized suit. Tank mechanic is built around a shield capacitor, with a focus on building large absorb shields to differentiate from other tanks.
    Alchemist: Healer. This spec plays most similar to how MOP Mistweaver played. There's a focus on self-spreading HOTS (and self-spreading DOTS). Some really cool visuals
    Engineer: Ranged DPS. I don't want to spoil it, but you guys are going to LOVE it.

All of these archetypes have been explored in WOW. The team has a ton of art direction to pull from and they are really excited about how this class came together.

Edit: 23 days!
    I hope this isn't true. It's not that i think its a horrible idea, its just the whole tinker concept has almost 0 appeal for me. I would rather have a dragonkin like class added.

Only because there is no primitive factions in Starcraft, not because it's SciFi. Shadowrun would also like a word with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    We have three examples of this happening with 100% accuracy for all examples. It isn't conjecture. Further, when we break down the WoW class lineup, only the Tinker and Alchemist heroes have abilities that are completely absent from the class lineup, are both Goblin heroes, and have similarly themed abilities, indicating that those ability sets have been reserved for possible class inclusion.

BTW, class inclusion is the likely conclusion because all of the other WC3 heroes had their ability sets filtered into the class lineup.
    We have three examples of this happening with SOME accuracy. Not all abilities from the heroes are implemented and even if they are its not a 1:1 conversion.

Also i dont think you know how this works. Even if you had 10 examples of this happening it would still be conjecture. Its circumstantial evidence. There is no hard proof.

And yet, the overarching theme and story of those expansions are all heavily grounded in the high fantasy genre. Funny that.
    No? Warcraft never was an "high fantasy" was just "fantasy" and since it is has direct influence with Warhammer is even more evident?

Plus once you introduce stuff like Ulduar, Titan Construct and Facilities with robots the "high fantasy" is already gone.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the Cyberpunk "caster" question is big fail since in Cyberpunk you can play "hacker" and doing Quickhacks / Daemons attack which are basically the "spells" in Cyberpunk

Herald of the Titans Nightshade711's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
    With all this tinker talk, what would make them stand apart from other classes gameplaywise? A mech suit, ok, cool so similar to druid bear, lots of armor probably and an absorb shield? So similar gameplay like druid bear, enough armor to mitigate the small damage and use shield to mitigate bigger damage. Doesn't sound too interesting and too similar to a druid bear. Other ideas i've read about it being a ranged tank with remote controlled tanks or drones would be different but I can't imagine how that could work when you need to move a boss.

So what about other specs? Healer with some robots and hots with smart heal? Robots sound like totems and they reduced the amount of totems shamans have to use because they didn't work properly in more and more situations. Monk had smart heals and it was too powerful and they removed most of them, so why would they bring them back? Gameplaywise it would be different from other classes because it would have some broken mechanics that were previously removed. Doesn't sound like something you would do for a new class.

Ranged dps I've not read anything unique or interesting. Some say drones or turrets like hunter pets, warlock demons or shaman totems, some ranged attacks like hunter and some alchemy stuff for dots. Could be cool but doesn't sound unique.

With all that talk about tinkers people seem to have forgotten that blizzard did a lot to differentiate all specs so that they work and feel differently and killed for example sv hunter just to make it more different from mm and didn't give dh a third spec when there are hints that a third spec was planned (ranged dps or healer).
    The island expeditions give us at least two solid specs, but a third healer one wouldn’t be too hard.

Mech tank like Gazlowe on the islands. Has separate health pool from the actual player. Insert whatever damage mitigations like a “shield” that actually only does damage reduction and/or repair self-heal.

Ranged DPS focused on building and upgrading turrets/robots, but could probably use things like a rocket launcher or Tesla gun when not actively building if it could feel different than hunter.
    If shaman DPS totems like searing totem existed in retail then I’d probably say this spec wouldn’t fit, but alas Blizz decided against adding searing totem.
    The way I imagine it would be feeling different than demo locks bc you’re not really just summoning minions and forgetting about them, nor would they really be all that mobile… but I might not be putting it in words well enough.

Third spec isn’t well enough defined in the island teams in my opinion, but could just be an alchemy-based healer I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Chen isn't a Monk

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    The Final Fantasy series is all over the place with it. To the point where they have roughly equal to modern societies based on magic technology. The initial antagonist of FF7 was an electric power company that was running their plants with life force instead of coal. FFXV is literally a road trip.

I think it's mostly just the pervasive myth that Fantasy = medieval, and a complete misunderstanding of what technology was available... or that swords and plate armour are actually fairly advanced stuff that requires a solid manufacturing base to pull off on a meaningful scale.
    Yes because every single FF is a story of its own that are not connected. Only thing that is over arching is Biggs and Wedge who work together or are friends and Cid who is a airship pilot.

Your comparison here falls flat because of that. FF7 FF8 and FF9 are only connected by the name Final Fantasy and that they were made by Squaresoft
    Last edited by Deneios; 2022-03-28 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by Deneios View Post
    Yes because every single FF is a story of its own that are not connected. Only thing that is over arching is Biggs and Wedge who work together or are friends and Cid who is a airship pilot.

Your comparison here falls flat because of that. FF7 FF8 and FF9 are only connected by the name Final Fantasy and that they were made by Squaresoft
    And?

FF not having all the FF connected ( beside some expections) doesn't cancel the fact that even if those are "high fantasy" have still steampunk/technological aspect.

Everytii there is a "magitek" is basically magic+tinker

10+ Year Old Account
    They didn't have any "specific ability" in WoW. And if you're talking about Warcraft 3, that's your problem, because I'm not. I'm talking about the bard concept in the fantasy genre. Which should be obvious to you, and, frankly, I believe it is, but you choose to ignore it.
    And I'm talking about expansion classes in WoW, which a Bard would be. Every expansion class that has entered WoW has had its WC3 ability set.

Okay. Show me the specific abilities that all the tinkers in WoW have in common. Show me what specific abilities Siegecrafter Blackfuse and Gelbin Mekkatorque share. Or what specific abilities Gazlowe and Mekkatorque share. Come on, Teriz. Put your money where your mouth is.
    The specific abilities are not based on NPCs, they're based on the hero units the class is based on.

Okay. Show me the specific abilities that all the tinkers in WoW have in common. Show me what specific abilities Siegecrafter Blackfuse and Gelbin Mekkatorque share. Or what specific abilities Gazlowe and Mekkatorque share. Come on, Teriz. Put your money where your mouth is.

Mekkatorque : Explosive Sheeps

Blackfuse : Crawler Mines

Tinkers W3 : Clockwerk Goblin

3/3 Explosive

Plus 3/3 have Blaster Cannon/Rockets

So basically all 3 have in commons : explosives (decoy) and rockets/blasters

So here it is

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by puddypounce View Post
    They see this as a love letter to the most wildly popular new class request.
    You mean those 10 dudes and a horse that keep posting about it on MMO-C, or is there some other pool of people elsewhere?
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    We have three examples of this happening with SOME accuracy. Not all abilities from the heroes are implemented and even if they are its not a 1:1 conversion.
    Actually they were (at time of implementation).

Death Knights:
    https://www.wowhead.com/spell=47541/death-coil
    https://wotlk-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?spell=48743
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Unh...knight_talent)
    https://wotlk.evowow.com/spell=42650

Monk:
    https://www.wowhead.com/spell=146222/breath-of-fire
    https://www.wowhead.com/spell=116330/dizzying-haze (changed from Drunken Haze in Beta)
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Mas...lusive_Brawler (changed from Drunken Brawler in Beta)
    https://www.wowhead.com/spell=231627...earth-and-fire

Demon Hunter:
    https://www.wowhead.com/spell=198589/blur (replacement for Evasion)
    https://www.wowhead.com/spell=203704/mana-break (replacement for Mana Burn)
    https://www.wowhead.com/spell=258920/immolation-aura
    https://www.wowhead.com/spell=191427/metamorphosis

Also i dont think you know how this works. Even if you had 10 examples of this happening it would still be conjecture. Its circumstantial evidence. There is no hard proof.
    So if Tinker is the final class added to WoW and follows this standard (it will), we can't simply admit that this is how Blizzard implements expansion classes?
    Last edited by Teriz; 2022-03-28 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutri View Post
    You mean those 10 dudes and a horse that keep posting about it on MMO-C, or is there some other pool of people elsewhere?
    This same exact phrase has been used for

Panda/Monks
    Demon Hunters
    High Elves
    Classic WoW

and didnt age very well

do me a favor

write "tinkers will never happen" on the largest poster you can possibly fit above your monitor

now wait for the expansion reveal, and the one after that, and the one after, etc

now with each passing year look up at the poster and scream "ZOLARIS WAS RIGHT" every time it doesn't happen

tinkers
    will
    never
    happen

Ya know. Normally i roll my eyes at tinker posts. We have seen them since vanilla.

I hope bliz does bring it out just si these posts can stop.

So, what happens if:

They unlock all established races and classes to be any of that.

Plus, they give us both Bards and Tinkers?

Who implodes first?

Quote Originally Posted by Thaneo View Post
    Do we always need this thread?
    There must always be *bomb going off in the distance* a tinker thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade711 View Post
    Tinkers are the only real class that could be added right now that would fit into lore and not step on the toes of existing classes/specs in terms of themes and gameplay feel.
    eh... no?
    if we ignore the possibility of something completely new, and just go with warcraft heroes, dark ranger and sea witch are both concepts, similar to each other, but with nothing really similar in wow - class using ranged weapon in combination with magic...
    and dont even start with hunter, which is as close to dark ranger or sea witch as it is to tinker due to its use of traps and bombs...
    also necromancer "steps on toes" of unholy DK as much as priest steps on paladins toes...
    and thats just from the top of my head, im sure theres plenty other options...
    Last edited by Lolites; 2022-03-28 at 04:47 PM.