Thread: The Oscars

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    This was staged and they did it for the memes.
    No way. Wil Smith is not good enough of an actor to convey any of this.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    I think the initial reaction is what gives credence to this not being fake. I think what makes people think it's fake is that Smith's sequence of events gives the impression of a very submissive man, which is generally opposite of everyone's perception of him based upon his general Hollywood persona. But given all that's come out about his wife's actions, their 'open' relationship, and the relationship between the two... yeah, what happened and his demeanor being submissive seems very believable.

Guess it technically could be staged, but I'm fairly certain you would stage it earlier in the program. Also, the way it went down would likely be different if they were trying to stage the scenario. Real confirmation if this was staged is if next year they just happen to have a similar 'shocking' event happen.
    Ye I don't think it was fake, I think Chris physically was challenging Will to do something. In the moment, Will leaves his chair and walks up to the stage, you can see Chris is leaning forward with the arms behind his back. I get the impression Chris was almost daring him to do something, and Will actually did. How hard he was hit etc is difficult to tell, but I don't think I it was with a close fist, but it didn't sound like a slap.

And then the F-bombs are dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Liftbrul View Post
    Can't fathom being such an emotionally crippled manchild that a tame joke like that makes you see red enough to assault a guy, especially over a woman who fucked your son's friend behind your back. And it wasn't even a proper punch either, but a limp-wristed little slap. Kudos to him for giving Chris Rock and other comedians material for a while though I guess.
    Don't mistake the final drop of water that causes the bucket to overflow for the only relevant water in that scenario.

As someone that has had his fair share of mental issues, it can be a tiny seemingly insignificant thing in isolation that causes you to snap. And if someone seeing it doesn't know about the mountain of cropped up mental shit in your head that comes to the front it can seem like a colossal over-reaction. But that's how life works.

Will Smith obviously has a lot of issues. Some that are out in the open, a lot that probably aren't. And last night, atleast a bit of that dam broke.

Note I don't excuse his actions, they are obviously not appropriate. But don't judge someone's mental state off of a 1 minute youtube clip.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

If it wasn't for that "incident" I wouldn't even have noticed that it was already Oscar night.
    Even on most (german) mainstream news sites you have to scroll down quite far to even find them mentioned, there was a time not so long ago where the Oscars had live coverage and were top news for at least a day, even without anything out of the ordinary.

Great, now Chris's mum is worried about him wanting him to move to his Uncle's in Bel-air.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I understand people not condoning "violence", but had they’d not been celebrities no one would have cared, and those same people probably would have supported a husband standing up for his wife if another man made a joke about her condition.
    The context of where and when that joke is made matters, too. It's not like a random guy yelled "billiard ball" at her on the street, it was a performer, during an act, following similar comments to other people, and in line with previous ceremonies in which jokes have been made about their appearances.

Maybe it was poor taste, although nobody would have batted an eye if the same joke had been about Dwayne Johnson or Samuel L. Jackson. Maybe either of the Smiths could have commented on it during or after the event. Maybe it could have been resolved privately, with or without lawyers, they're all rich anyway.

Ultimately, Smith wasn't able to handle the situation correctly. Even if the situation and the rest of his circumstances weren't his fault.

Eh, tinfoil hat mode on, but no one would even talk about the show without the slap. Gotta rev the engines up somehow. And it wouldn't be impossible for Rock and Smith to arrange the whole thing to play out the way it did. And Smith is like one of 3 actors that could pull off a stunt like that and still be considered likeable by some people.

If it wasn't arranged, that was some lame as fuck behaviour. Gotta protect my wife after I already laughed at the same joke she's mad about, or I guess its couch month for me or something.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Jada has alopecia and has been very open about her struggles with losing her hair. The joke was in poor taste and I honestly can’t blame Will for his reaction.

I understand people not condoning "violence", but had they’d not been celebrities no one would have cared, and those same people probably would have supported a husband standing up for his wife if another man made a joke about her condition.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, Chris, according to a few articles and the LAPD, has declined to press charges against Will.
    question is did Chris know about it? I'm gonna go with no. and of course he didn't press charges; if he had then he probably would've suffered more than Will would've

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    I mean less than 20 minutes later he did win the Best Actor Oscar... so yeah, I reckon he could've faked it.

If someone insults husband's wife in public mocking her medical condition, and husband does nothing, it says something more negative about the husband than it does the wife.

You have to be out of your mind to think this was faked. "Let's have two black guys fight on stage, just the kind of representation black people need at the Oscars." Come on, man.

And if you're going to justify this on the basis that the joke was insulting and the butt of the joke deserved 'satisfaction', you're justifying violence against comedians for telling jokes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Knowing American comedy, this is going to invite an absolute avalanche of jokes towards Will Smith and Jada. Might have felt the right thing to do back then, but there is not going to enough hours in the day to bitch-slap all of the jokers now.

All in all, should have let it go.
    Last edited by Santti; 2022-03-28 at 12:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Will Smith must really hate GI Jane.

Like Chris Rock has mentioned Jada's and Will's name before when he hosted the Oscars. Jada wanted to boycott the Oscars because she felt Will deserved a nominations in his portrayal of the Doctor in Concussion, and the lack of people of color being nominated.

So there could have been potential issues between them, but the issue is Will laughed at the joke. Everything after that doesn't make him seem like a man standing up for this woman at all, but someone who felt as though he was forced to react and create a situation.

It's like, "oh shit", she ain't happy I better do something. If he literally did nothing, I don't think people are talking about Will being weak and not defending Jada at all.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Just see how Chris Rock lines up his chin for the hit and how he smiles 2 seconds afterwards. All of this is just weird, but maybe thats Hollywood.

In any case, the memes has been great so far!

Imagine unironically defending Will Smith.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If someone insults husband's wife in public mocking her medical condition, and husband does nothing, it says something more negative about the husband than it does the wife.
    Then repay the favor with a insult back? Turning to violence immediately is just a sign of a undeveloped brain.
    Last edited by Aurgjelme; 2022-03-28 at 01:05 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    The Oscars: well-dressed narcissists go to a bar and smell each others farts. And some cameras catch it all.

The last time I watched the Oscars was last century.

He's even laughing in the beginning, but then he sees his wife's bitchface and he knows he has to defend her honor. Guy lets other guys fuck her, but make a light joke about her hair, and that goes too far. Demi Moore looked absolutely fuckable in G.I. Jane, I would have fucked her. That ugly wife of his can be flattered to be compared to her.

I am kinda surprised they bother with the award show. I've been struggling to find things to pirate this past year shows have been of such poor quality. Even the price of free is a price to high...

Quote Originally Posted by Aurgjelme View Post
    Then repay the favor with a insult back? Turning to violence immediately is just a sign of a undeveloped brain.
    Insults...nice. But you'd never have the balls to say that to my face...or insult someone over a medical condition in front of me.
    At least not do such a 2nd time.