Thread: The Oscars

Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

The Oscars

Seems like the most interesting thing that happened is Will Smith assaulting Chris Rock live on stage, then swearing at him from the audience, and then instead of being thrown out, being allowed to accept his Best Actor Oscar and then receiving a standing ovation after his pathetic narcissistic speech.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status...70716063469576

But other than that, Campion won a thoroughly deserved Best Director Oscar for The Power of the Dog. Coda won Best Picture but personally I thought that should have gone to The Power of the Dog or Dune.

Dune won 6 awards - Cinematography, Visual Effects, Production Design, Editing, Original Score, and Sound - but weirdly Villeneuve wasn't up for Best Director.

Jessica Chastain won Best Actress for The Eyes of Tammy Faye, and Ariana DeBose won Best Supporting Actress, and Billy Eilish won Best Music (Original Song) for No Time To Die.
    Last edited by DarkAmbient; 2022-03-28 at 09:13 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Dunno if you can view your twitter link without being logged in, in case you can't here's the juicy stuff on YouTube:

As for CODA winning Best Picture, I agree. The Power of the Dog or Dune should have won imo.

I'd agree Will was narcissistic as fuck tonight and I say that as someone that actually likes him.

That walking on stage and slapping shit is going to get imitated all over comedy clubs when a comedian offends some dudes date and he wants to impress her.

I thought it was funny at first, but actually think it's kind of fucked up and bad for the world after processing it a bit.
    Last edited by Mojo03; 2022-03-28 at 09:34 AM.

I just found out about this from a colleague at work, genuinely didn't even know the Oscar's were happening last night.

How is there so little physical reaction from anyone, he went up there and hit the presenter, like does that not count as assault or an act of violence. I get Chris will likely not want to even file any charges, his next show is guaranteed to be a sell out

I guess people will argue Will was defending his wife and she has a medical condition, but you can tell for a moment Chris knew of multiple ways he could come back,

"I'll remember that smack till at least August",
    "Did you do the same thing when you found out about Jada's fling",
    "Before the night ends, just delete any posts on your twitter about non-violence and world peace, because you ass is about to get lit up",

just of the top of my head. I guess we wait to see if the Academy take the award back or whatever happens.

Rock got what he deserved. And he knows it. As does everyone else. That's why he won't press charges.

I get why Will Smith did what he did. It wasn't the right thing to do by any stretch, but I get why he did it.

You can see that at first he was laughing at the joke, but then he looked at his wife and seemingly went from 0 to 100.

Imo, it actually takes a very strong power of will(hehe) to stand up for someone that have hurt you in the past the way she hurt him with the whole fiasco that generated countless memes.

She is still the mother of his children, she has a sickness, there is possibility that he still has some feelings(even love) for her, he saw her being attacked(I know, I know...) and embarrassed in front of everyone present(+ on live TV and the internet). Despite that he probably had a good idea of what the consequences would be(and I'm not talking only about the internet being flooded with a new wave of Will Smith is a cuck memes, but there also could/can be legal actions against him, not to mention his image and legacy and even possibly his future job(s) being on the line), he knew that he couldn't just sit there, he had to do something, anything.

Imo, even though he shouldn't have done exactly what he did, it shows that despite everything that happened between them, he still has incredibly strong character.
    unclench your jaw

It's soft and awkward enought that I could believe it's staged. Or at least played up.

Chris stammering afterwards would be his best acting to date, though.

Quote Originally Posted by qil View Post
    Will Smith did nothing wrong. Seriously. It's normal reaction when someone is attacking your family. And that wasnt even a fist. Just open hand.
    imagine defending violence because of a joke,imagine being a comedian that cant take jokes ....ykes....seriously how much of a mental midget has will smith become?

ofc unless this was all an act then it was very well acted

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    I'd agree Will was narcissistic as fuck tonight and I say that as someone that actually likes him.

That walking on stage and slapping shit is going to get imitated all over comedy clubs when a comedian offends some dudes date and he wants to impress her.

I thought it was funny at first, but actually think it's kind of fucked up and bad for the world after processing it a bit.
    can you recap quick what was the narcissistic stuff he said was?

Will Smith did nothing wrong. Seriously. It's normal reaction when someone is attacking your family. And that wasnt even a fist. Just open hand.
    Assaulting someone for a joke, live on TV at a ceremony being watched by millions, is not ok. He actually laughed at the joke and only got out of his seat when Jada glared at him. And then crying on stage about being a "vessel of love"? Holy shit, the narcissism. He should have accepted the joke for what it was. It's actually pathetic what he did. Just a weak angry little man full of his own self importance.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Seems like the most interesting thing that happened is Will Smith assaulting Chris Rock live on stage, then swearing at him from the audience, and then instead of being thrown out, being allowed to accept his Best Actor Oscar and then receiving a standing ovation after his pathetic narcissistic speech.
    Totally not scripted.
    To me people being excited and believing such 'dramas' are the same who think Wrestling or emotinal parts of 'X-country got talent' are real.
    We live in such sad and aritificial world.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ï wouldn't say a comedian making a joke is "attacking your family". Comedians tell jokes, it's what they do. Was this a good joke? Not really. It doesn't mean you can physically assault people though.

its a shame chris rock isnt a decent comedian, imagine if he would have turned without flinching and started riffing out more jokes @ will smith and jada. Theres plenty of material there, Scientology, their weird open relationship, their weird children, Will's need to televise every aspect of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Totally not scripted.
    To me people being excited and believing such 'dramas' are the same who think Wrestling or emotinal parts of 'X-country got talent' are real.
    We live in such sad and aritificial world.
    This was not scripted. You really think that the Academy, which was trying to be more diverse, would arrange a bust up between two black guys live on stage? And then have one of them yell swear words from the audience? Because that would be so great for black representation. Lol, come on...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    its a shame chris rock isnt a decent comedian, imagine if he would have turned without flinching and started riffing out more jokes @ will smith and jada. Theres plenty of material there, Scientology, their weird open relationship, their weird children, Will's need to televise every aspect of his life.
    I think he was almost certainly being yelled at in his ear by the producers to not escalate the situation. Rock could easily have said a bunch of shit but was probably told 'the show must go on'.

Sad for Will Smith. He'll never be remembered as "Will Smith - Oscar Winner", he'll always be the guy that couldn't take a tacky joke. He ruined his own night. It's not like Rock wasn't cracking wise at everyone else, none of them got out of their seats and assaulted the performer.

And let's be clear, Will Smith didn't do this for Jada, he did it for Will Smith. He felt disrespected and lashed out, otherwise, he could've just let Jada respond for herself. Either he feels she's too weak to take a joke or he sees her as property he needs to defend. Neither one is a good look.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    This was not scripted. You really think that the Academy, which was trying to be more diverse, would arrange a bust up between two black guys live on stage?
    Of course.

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    Sad for Will Smith. He'll never be remembered as "Will Smith - Oscar Winner", he'll always be the guy that couldn't take a tacky joke. He ruined his own night. It's not like Rock wasn't cracking wise at everyone else, none of them got out of their seats and assaulted the performer.

And let's be clear, Will Smith didn't do this for Jada, he did it for Will Smith. He felt disrespected and lashed out, otherwise, he could've just let Jada respond for herself. Either he feels she's too weak to take a joke or he sees her as property he needs to defend. Neither one is a good look.
    Or in the heat of the moment he thought of all the jokes about him not caring about his wife sleeping with other men and thought doing this would be seen as manly.

5+ Year Old Account
    If such an optimistic guy like Will Smith is having enough then the world has gone really mad.

Will didn't hear a joke, he heard an insult.
    Where were you guys when Ted Cruz was getting trashed for not defending his wife? Hell, had he done the same to Trump I'd have applauded the spineless weasel for finally showing he had one.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Will didn't hear a joke, he heard an insult.
    Where were you guys when Ted Cruz was getting trashed for not defending his wife? Hell, had he done the same to Trump I'd have applauded the spineless weasel for finally showing he had one.
    Please keep politics out of this. Appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Or in the heat of the moment he thought of all the jokes about him not caring about his wife sleeping with other men and thought doing this would be seen as manly.
    True. Of course, if one wants to seem "manly" then they should opt for the closed fist and knock the other to the ground. Open handed slapping is kind of prissy.