Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Speculations: The grey Azeroth map image of March 14th post

Hey folks,

in the Blizz post of March 14th they used a grey tinted Azeroth map as title image. Normally they using such things for „micro-hints“. Maybe just to ensure that everyday on MMOC a new fake leak is showing up, LOL. In this case maybe it just shall tell us, next xpac is happening on Azeroth (instead of outside of Azeroth like Argus, Outlands or Shadowlands was).

Yesterday i was just curious, if it’s EXACTLY the same map, or if somewhere on map even the tiniest bit is different. I compared both maps (see below) closely and on map there is zero difference. But the only thing that differs, is the size above Northrend. While below Pandaria the margin to the bottom is same, than in the colored version, the margin at top differs. In short: The grey map was cutted horizontally at top.

Do you think it’s just for technical or PR reasons, or is it „the new map“ of next xpac and they cutted it, because its something above (Northrend) there ?

Speculations?

10+ Year Old Account
    That could just be the best way the graphics guy managed to fit the map within the 16:9 dimensions of that image. But I suppose anything is possible.

Clearly they've trying to hide the new continent in the next expansion: Northerrend

North Pole Santa expansion confirmed. New playable race Little Helpers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Phayde View Post
    North Pole Santa expansion confirmed. New playable race Little Helpers.
    Sleigh mount enforces this. All heil World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Santa!
    Battle for Azeroth
    Best focking Axpansion!

10+ Year Old Account
    *looks up*
    *looks down*
    *looks up*
    *looks down*
    *scratches head*

In their desperation for a light at the end of the tunnel, WoW players are now making a thing out of a map being cropped and in a different colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    Yesterday i was just curious, if it’s EXACTLY the same map, or if somewhere on map even the tiniest bit is different. I compared both maps (see below) closely and on map there is zero difference. But the only thing that differs, is the size above Northrend. While below Pandaria the margin to the bottom is same, than in the colored version, the margin at top differs. In short: The grey map was cutted horizontally at top.
    And... You missed the only real difference. Isle of thunder has been lowered slightly.

Not that it probably matters. That island did go thru some changes.

Last edited by Funkyjunky; 2022-04-02 at 06:07 PM.

Still amazed that the ships used to sail right past Zandalar, Broken Isles and Kul'tiras for all these years before discovering them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    Clearly they've trying to hide the new continent in the next expansion: Northerrend
    This made me laugh
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    Super Northrend is the real Northern continent >.>
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Still amazed that the ships used to sail right past Zandalar, Broken Isles and Kul'tiras for all these years before discovering them.
    The correct unit to use for measuring the distance between Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms is expansions

The maps are different in more ways.
    The grey map is actually of a globe. Look at the west coast of Kalimdor. It is slightly smaller than the original image because of the curvature. Look at the edges around the map. In the bottom left you can clearly see part of a circle. The globe.

This implies that we are going to see what is on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    The maps are different in more ways.
    The grey map is actually of a globe. Look at the west coast of Kalimdor. It is slightly smaller than the original image because of the curvature. Look at the edges around the map. In the bottom left you can clearly see part of a circle. The globe.

This implies that we are going to see what is on the other side.
    No? Try overlaying the two maps. There is no difference in curvature at all.

Edit.. did it for you...

Only the isle is slightly changed. And that difference is easily explained..
    Last edited by Funkyjunky; 2022-04-02 at 06:21 PM.

Hmm..Ulduar was cut off and to the northwest of Hrothgar's Landing there is the Lost Glacier with the dead ruby dragon. Perhaps the dragon isles are on the other side of the icy landmass/sea/mountain range?

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Lost_Glacier
    Last edited by CrittenMitten; 2022-04-02 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    I thought it was logical they were avoiding them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it means anything honestly, Wish it did though.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

The Chronicles map proportions are so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkyjunky View Post
    No? Try overlaying the two maps. There is no difference in curvature at all.

Edit.. did it for you...

Only the isle is slightly changed. And that difference is easily explained..
    the image above is perfect. thx for doing that work.

your image is perfect to see exactly what i just don’t get: why they cutted this upper part ?

your image is perfect to see exactly what i just don’t get: why they cutted this upper part ?
    To make it the aspect ratio they wanted for the ad?

They did the exact same thing here:

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ne...t-2021-winners

Upper part was cut, so the image would fit into the webdesign. And I'm sure you can find multiple similar news posts with cropped images. It's time to move on..