Page 1 of 26
... LastLast

It's time to remove class/race restrictions.

Lore has evolved in this game to the point where it makes no sense that a human can't train to be a shaman for example. And why can't a panda be a druid?

Remove the restrictions. Just delete them.

10.0 classes update edit: https://www.wowhead.com/news/mages-p...nflight-326890
    Last edited by united; 2022-04-28 at 06:36 PM.
    change can't wait.

I agree.

I get it there's lore involved, but at this point I think it's just in the way. The world (of Warcraft) will not end just because a human is a druid or shaman or an undead is a paladin. Player freedom should be > lore for this.

Similarly, remove xmog restrictions, too. Somehow it's heresy if my warrior wears a dress? UNLESS of course it's part of a preorder set or some shop xmog, then suddenly being a purple fashion model is a-okay. But don't you DARE change a sword to a dagger, or we'll all be doomed.

Its not the time to remove class/race restrictions.
    Actually, I would even remove some class/race combos which make 0 sense.

When WoW goes free-to-play...because then no one will give a damn about the storyline..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Palapop View Post
    Its not the time to remove class/race restrictions. Actually, I would even remove some class/race combos which make 0 sense.
    I've never understood goblin-shaman...and quite frankly I never want to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh.. I can live without removing the restrictions, even bringing some back but I don't need the old ones back either.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Goblin paladins...omg no.

Sure.

They've butchered the lore plenty. No reason why we can't at least benefit from their poor writing and have more class/race options.

They aren't allowed to make tauren rogues a reality. Too OP

10+ Year Old Account
    The game and lore has already changed alot. Races have been able to spend alot of time alongside each other and I don't see why they shouldn't be able to break the barriers of their race and do what they want. The fun of choosing and playing whatever race/class combo you want, should not be handicapped by lore.

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    Lore has evolved in this game to the point where it makes no sense that a human can't train to be a shaman for example. And why can't a panda be a druid?

Remove the restrictions. Just delete them.
    Agreed; with the lore in the place it's in, with years of intermingling between different cultures and many NPC representations of non-playable combos, I don't think it makes sense for there to be very many restrictions anymore. Maybe with the exception of demon hunters, because I'm not sure the Illidari would be training other races post-Legion. I would argue that it's more contrary to lore to maintain restrictions than to erase (most of) them.

I'd complain about making stuff work in universe but...

Honestly what's even the point by now? The story and the worldbuilding are at that point where you can't possibly make it worse anymore. I used to be passionate about Warcraft enough to strongly defend class restrictions but I simply do not care anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    I'd complain about making stuff work in universe but...

Honestly what's even the point by now? The story and the worldbuilding are at that point where you can't possibly make it worse anymore. I used to be passionate about Warcraft enough to strongly defend class restrictions but I simply do not care anymore
    I know what you mean, during BC if you told me taurens would be able to be paladins and priests in a couple of expansions, I would have fought you, but here we are. I don't think it makes sense to keep it restricted now

Herald of the Titans Nightshade711's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    Agreed for the most part.
    Only a few restrictions should exist (DHs, No velf Paladins/lightforged warlocks for example)

Kul Tirans have shown that humans can be shamans and druids.
    Night elves can be Paladins as seen by the legion order hall.
    List goes on
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Chen isn't a Monk

Pandaren demon-hunter...
    Or for that matter every race...gnome, goblin...druid...

If story/lore isn't any longer a consideration then the game really is dead and passed the point of revamping.

Quote Originally Posted by Palapop View Post
    Its not the time to remove class/race restrictions.
    Actually, I would even remove some class/race combos which make 0 sense.
    any race/class combo can make sense with a lore justification, and they all have. there are pretty much examples of every conceivable race/class combinations in the world itself, so there's not much question in whether or not it's possible.

arguably the gameplay benefit exceeds any other reasoning by miles. most of the people who say "XYZ" doesn't make sense is really just trying to say "When I was introduced to this universe, it did not exist. I ignore the lore that has developed since and insist this snapshot, years ago when I was younger, is the only thing that makes sense."

people say it about draenei and warlocks, as if they were somehow virtually incapable, a physical impossibility of becoming warlocks rather than the obvious cultural reasons for why they refused to do it. draenei not being warlocks made sense, and still could. however, they've also been fighting alongside warlocks for years as allies, and destroyed the antagonistic force behind their original choice. time passes. it also makes sense that they, or some among them, would be open to it. this can apply to literally any race/class combination, was the basis for certain ones like orc mages. but regardless, an instance of pretty much every example already exists, so i'm curious which you think make no sense and would remove from the game, just to see if my snapshot theory holds up

While we're at it lets get rid of factions since no one cares about lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Caring about the lore is actually what makes me support the removal of most race/class restrictions: because in-game races and cultures *have* evolved, and the story has developed over the course of expansions and extended universe entries. Lore can't stay stagnant in a game that's constantly being updated. That being said, I think you can (generally) keep the thematic base of each race while acknowledging that they are also expanding their horizons.

Knight of the Astral Star Local Ardenweald Faerie's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    Heck yeah.

I'd roll a Pandaren Paladin or Demon Hunter any day.

Even as early as Warcraft III were faction boundaries broken to defeat common foes.
    Last edited by Local Ardenweald Faerie; 2022-04-02 at 10:32 PM.

When WoW goes free-to-play...because then no one will give a damn about the storyline..

- - - Updated - - -

I've never understood goblin-shaman...and quite frankly I never want to.
    Goblin shamans..actully makes sense, if you look at the lore of shamans, they ask the elmental for a favor i.e a it's more or less a transaction, something goblins are supposed to very good at(well scaming people out of money while providing subpar mechanical things)

Tauren and Draenei stealthing around with their hoofs makes no sense, mate.