Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Where is it said?
    There's this guy:
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Torkhan
    What about him? I don't see anything on the page you linked to suggest he's either a Grimtotem or a rogue. In fact, he seems to wear druid shoulders.

having a few npc that can be what a player can't isn't a reason to remove some barriers. You will always have this situation. Kelthuzad is a necromancer, does it mean that human should be? maybe not. If the dev decide that it won't be ok for stormwind humans to be necromancers just like dalaran was against it then you won't.

A night elf can be paladin, ok but it's not the culture of the night elves to fight like this, so enabling the player to be a night elf paladin is going the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by wushootaki View Post
    I don't understand why this wasn't added with the addition of the new starting zone. If you choose a goblin/worgen monk you get locked to the new starting zone, thus bypassing any issues. If you don't choose monk, you can do their traditional starting zones. Problem solved.
    Exile's reach holds potential here. Because its a starting zone where new recruits set foot upon entering the game, then just about any race can pick whatever class they want. All it takes is for Blizzard to leave the lore restrictions behind and go the distance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I used to accept lore as a legitimate reason for class restrictions. But blizzard doesn't give a flying fuck about lore being consistent anymore so there is literally no reason to restrict classes now.
    This is the only response needed for this thread. Blizzard does not care about lore. there is zero reason to restrict class design based on it.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    This is the only response needed for this thread. Blizzard does not care about lore. there is zero reason to restrict class design based on it.
    Like...I used to be the kind of person to use lore as a reason for restricting things. I was part of roleplay servers where I used to think lore mattered. Now? Now it doesn't fucking matter since even Blizzard doesn't care about the lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    What about him? I don't see anything on the page you linked to suggest he's either a Grimtotem or a rogue. In fact, he seems to wear druid shoulders.
    The Grimtotem tattooes on a black fur. He wears the Heritage Armor.
    I never said he was a Rogue. I said Grimtotems can be Rogues.

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    Yeah but you're missing the point. The actual origin of the Draenei is that they're a subsection of the Eredar race that fled Argus with the help of a Naaru when Sargeras offered to induct them into his demonic army.

The Eredar that remained were subsequently turned into demons under the leadership of Archimonde and Kil'jaeden.

"Draenei" IE Exiled Ones/uncorrupted Eredar, engaging in fel magic would consequently no longer be Draenei but would simply be Eredar.

I'd like nothing more than to play an Eredar Warlock or DH, but as long as the race is called Draenei, it is nonsensical for them to engage in fel magic.

If the character creater made it painfully obvious that any "Draenei" Warlocks or DHs were not, in fact, Draenei but rather Eredar, and it was also reflected in-game in every imaginable tooltip, I'd be fine with it.
    Sure that`s a fair point, and i`d like nothing more than a short questline that introduces the reason behind why every race can be every class now.
    It`s a great way to add content and flavor, and if you pair it with a host of new customization options, it would probably be really well received.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Like...I used to be the kind of person to use lore as a reason for restricting things. I was part of roleplay servers where I used to think lore mattered. Now? Now it doesn't fucking matter since even Blizzard doesn't care about the lore.
    Same, there was precedent in the past for quite a few race/class combos that arent present to this day, but at this point nothing fucking matters from a narrative standpoint. They have designed the game to such a degree that the content demands retcons to merely exist, so nothing narratively justifies limiting gameplay in any capacity anymore.

Even Bethesda is more careful than to fully railfuck their lore to such a degree, and theyre sloppy with retcons. Blizzard basically killed Warcraft as a concept from the storytelling/worldbuilding perspective.
    Last edited by Lothaeryn; 2022-04-09 at 01:53 AM.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Yeah, I also used to care about lore restrictions but these days...meh. Combos like Lightforged Draenei Death Knights already exist so how much more stupid can any other combo be?

And what's probably even more important to me; introducing new classes is one of the most sure ways to give long-time players something completely fresh to do. So restricting those to just a couple of races that folks may or may not like to play is stupid, imo. Even though it's been the only new class in years, I still haven't played Demon Hunter because I'm just not that into playing Night Elves or Blood Elves.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    I feel like half the people who make posts like this think to themselves "blood elf druid and night elf paladin!" when the reality is, that is a tough pill to swallow when you also introduce Pandaren Demon Hunters, Goblin Paladins and Tauren Rogues.
    those Tauren Rogues are something else

Quote Originally Posted by Rexosaurus View Post
    Yeah, I also used to care about lore restrictions but these days...meh. Combos like Lightforged Draenei Death Knights already exist so how much more stupid can any other combo be?

And what's probably even more important to me; introducing new classes is one of the most sure ways to give long-time players something completely fresh to do. So restricting those to just a couple of races that folks may or may not like to play is stupid, imo. Even though it's been the only new class in years, I still haven't played Demon Hunter because I'm just not that into playing Night Elves or Blood Elves.
    Same. People act like classes restricted to races few people enjoy like Tinker is a moot point, not many people on Horde like blood elves being in the faction yet it's the only choice you get.

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Absolutely not without any lore or background tying them to a certain class. That's just a cheapening of the lore.

Of course it does, because every race differs in its class lore. The moment you give up on that, everyone is the same.

The chinese are sensitive to the topic of demonic corruption, so no Panda Demon Hunters.
    Tauren Rogues might exist as Grimototem.

They were all but excluded from joining the Horde.

It makes perfect sense because that's why you have lore.
    It's like having all races be Humans or all classes be Warrior because we're sensitive to the idea of division.

Too late. Doomsayer Jurim already exists.
    And by the way, did you forget that Archimonde is blue?

No. Racials are important to the lore and RP of the game.

Mag'har's Priest lore is because they delve into the Void. They have nothing to do with the Light.
    Tauren and Draenei Rogues already exist. Check out Altaair and the Grimtotem tribe.

False:
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...s-combinations

Which is the worst kind of lore. No lore whatsoever behind Monk races aside from Pandaren.
    Gnomes Shamans are possible through technology, like the Goblins.

No, actually, it does the opposite because everyone is the same.

Check this out, then:
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...s-combinations

With every possibility open, literally hundreds of unique new opportunities become possible. Mechagnome Druids with Robotic animal forms? Like fuck yeah yes please.
    There is a Gnome Druid in Hearthstone.

Lore is not arbitrarily.
    That's why you have different races and classes to begin with.

Not all. But, a lot more.

Rangers already tap into nature magic.

Broken don't have Druids. Lost Ones do.

Wildhammer can already be Druids in lore.
    There's a Dwarf Demon Hunter in Hearthstone.

There's a Gnome Druid in lore.

Doesn't make sense in the slightest.

They don't have either.

Literally goes against their very being.

Was retconned.[/QUOTE]

I don't care what Burning Crusade, Warlords of Draenor and Reforged show you, in more sources than those 3 he is green. Someone didn't play Warcraft 3 or watch the Undead/Night Elf end cinematics. :P GG

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefellah View Post
    Ah yes those guys, with that overdone, (but somewhat funny) reference to the Orcs drinking demon blood. What did it cost? / Everything!

I am all up for team Tauren Rogue!

With regards to Monk for Goblin/Worgen - the reason they don't have monks lorewise is that there were no visiting pandarens pre-cata and it doesn't fit their starting experience. The Worgen druid starts out in alternative lore, as harvest-witches among the agrarian folk before embracing Kaldorei teachings. Likewise, we could have Goblin and Worgen monks who later on embrace the teachings of Kang, the Fist of First Dawn.

Worgen: Monks akin to the scarlet monks in Scarlet Monstery (Wow Alpha discipline priests).
    Goblins: Not sure? :P
    Seems team Tauren Rogue scored a victory!

New Race/Class Combos with Dragonflight
    Tauren Mage
    Highmountain Tauren Mage
    Orc Priest
    Highmountain Tauren Priest
    Tauren Rogue
    Highmountain Tauren Rogue
    Draenei Rogue
    Lightforged Draenei Rogue

https://www.wowhead.com/news/eight-n...nflight-326955
    Last edited by Rockefellah; 2022-05-09 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbayne View Post
    I don't care what Burning Crusade, Warlords of Draenor and Reforged show you, in more sources than those 3 he is green. Someone didn't play Warcraft 3 or watch the Undead/Night Elf end cinematics. :P GG
    Who is?
    At this point, i'm lost...
    Learn to quote.

Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post
    Long story short: every single race should be able to choose and pick whatever class they want to play.

It seems that developers are too afraid to challenge and experiment with some of these foundations that almost doesn't mean anything in reality. Finding the ways and then allowing players to pick a class and their favorite race, and combine them together, would be an ideal and satisfactory outcome. Some of these magical inventions should take place now, without any fear.

I'm not invested in WoW, nor I play this game, posting out of nostalgia believing that the ancient and almost religious stubbornness isn't a right way to go. And with a upcoming cross-faction, the all-time sworn enemies Horde and Alliance are coming to play together for the rest of the time. It only a proves that they can do more with breaking up those ancient chains. The old men and women who wrote Warcraft aren't any fabric of any reality, everything can (and should) change in favor of a better future.
    I've been telling it for a long time already. Class - isn't something, you born with. It's something, you can be taught and trained. Some races don't like certain classes for "reason"? There are always exiles, who still want to do something forbidden. It's not hard lore-wise to justify it. Some race-class combinations are already in game. For example Grimtotems can be rogues. I don't remember, if it was Cata or MOP, but there was Horde quest line against Grimtotems, where I expected them to join Horde, but it didn't happen.

But there are cons. For example will Horde would be Blood Elfs and whole Alliance will be Humans, because majority of playerbase lacks imagination and players play as themselves, not create avatar for themselves instead.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Druids and to a lesser extent paladins seem to be the only real issues, since they have unique stuff based on their race. Paladins have different chargers/divine steeds based on race, and druids historically get a unique set of form skins per race. Though I think people would probably prefer reusing the same models instead of not having racial freedom.
    On my druids I switch to the artefaft skins the first chance I get. I think I and many others could do without super diverse racial skins and let's be honest for a moment, a company like Blizzard could easily afford it anyway despite that. Afaik they already started to outsource art.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2022-05-09 at 06:07 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    Agreed a thousand times.

Makes literally zero sense for any of the classes to be locked behind any of the races.

Imagine you're sitting at table playing D&D with your friends, and your DM insists that you can't be a Goblin Paladin, and just whines "because they caaaan't!" over and over and over again. You'd wanna slap em.
    Imagine that you are a GM and your friend who doesn't care about the setting, lore and ROLE component whines that he wants to be super duper unique (because in life he is a worthless clerk who has never been on a date) again and again, you just want to give slap him at this moment

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Woggmer View Post

And this is much applied to classes... Some don't work because well, it's literally impossible... like a Green Orc using the Light is impossible (I've seen people tell me otherwise that Shadowmoon Orcs are priests because they use the void, and I keep telling them 'No, they're Mag'har. They didn't drink the demon blood koolaid.') or the fact that Tauren and Draenei can't be Rogues unless they have something to soften the sound of their hooves.
    Demonic blood does NOT prevent you from using Light(or Void). We have examples of how the demons themselves use the Light.

Well, they literally told how they want the race to not matter when it's about choosing your class - where it makes sense. Also they mentioned the fact that some classes need additional animations they have to make for the newly added races so it may take more time to unlock more combinations.

Maybe we won't have all races can do all classes but over time a great majority of them should be covered.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Nah i feel they already are to loose with what race cant be what classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    I feel like half the people who make posts like this think to themselves "blood elf druid and night elf paladin!" when the reality is, that is a tough pill to swallow when you also introduce Pandaren Demon Hunters, Goblin Paladins and Tauren Rogues.

This didn't age well.

I personally agree with OP. The races made sense when Warcraft still portrayed each race as their own unique thing that occasionally come together to help each other out, but now pretty much every nation lives on top of each other. No-one really has any uniqueness left and as far as lore goes, there's no reason why specific individuals of each race (players) couldn't have gone off to learn from the other races on how to be another class.