Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Deneios View Post
    I think the problem is the dumb as rock AI in both MMOs. Chocobo, command mission group and the trust AI are all barely working and probably ignore 50% damage taken just to be playable. In WoW the pet AI goes totally haywire if there is place where player can jump to but not walk to. Also if the pets dont have 90% aoe dmg reduction BM hunters would be ressing their pets after every aoe. Micromanaging a pet is a chore that i dont miss.
    I think, for the most part, the Trust AI is pretty amazing. The characters actually mostly successfully execute the fight mechanics. They're about as successful as the average player, (in some cases they're even better) in my experience.

Pet classes in WoW don't have to micromanage their pets to perform adequately anymore, manage yes..MICROmanage, no. Their abilities are mostly tied directly to the base priority rotation of the class. For most fights I just fire and forget about them. But then again, I enjoy pet classes and have just gotten used to dealing with them as a mechanic. YMMV obviously.

Yes the AI in FFXIV is worse, just saying pet classes in an MMO are completely doable if the team wants to do them. The FFXIV team apparently doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Yes the AI in FFXIV is worse, just saying pet classes in an MMO are completely doable if the team wants to do them. The FFXIV team apparently doesn't
    They tried incorporating real pets into 1.0 with Path Companions but it was reportedly too much work for one npc or something if I recall what I was told back in 2.0 alpha right.

Picking Path Companion:

Combat with Path Companion:
    Last edited by znushu; 2022-08-05 at 09:21 PM. Reason: fixing typos

Quote Originally Posted by znushu View Post
    They tried incorporating real pets into 1.0 with Path Companions but it was reportedly too much work for one npc or something if I recall what I was told back in 2.0 alpha right.

Picking Path Companion:

Combat with Path Companion:
    Thanks for the info. Summoners had real pets back in 2.0 all the way up until Shadowbringers. My point isn't that the FFXIV doesn't want to do pets, per se, it's that I don't think they want to take the time and use the resources necessary to make them work the way they need to work to be viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Thanks for the info. Summoners had real pets back in 2.0 all the way up until Shadowbringers. My point isn't that the FFXIV doesn't want to do pets, per se, it's that I don't think they want to take the time and use the resources necessary to make them work the way they need to work to be viable.
    I mean, I would never say never as far as that. If you had told me after my first year in the game that they would ever change Praetorium, I would have laughed at you and said 'I wish', and yet here we are now, with it majorly cut down and with actual boss mechanics to boot!

Even if Summoner has removed every little bit of 'Pet' style set up they had before, we could be surprised with what the cook up in the future for classes. Unlikely? Sure, but hey, it can happen!

Quote Originally Posted by MsSideEye View Post
    I mean, I would never say never as far as that. If you had told me after my first year in the game that they would ever change Praetorium, I would have laughed at you and said 'I wish', and yet here we are now, with it majorly cut down and with actual boss mechanics to boot!

Even if Summoner has removed every little bit of 'Pet' style set up they had before, we could be surprised with what the cook up in the future for classes. Unlikely? Sure, but hey, it can happen!
    I don't necessarily disagree with you, and I hope they do some day, but my feeling is that if they had any inclination to fix pets and spend time and resources on doing it right, they would have done that by fixing the one pet class they already had instead of deliberately moving away from/ taking the pets away.

As you said though, who knows? Maybe someday.