Poll: Do you want Player Housing in WoW?

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Garrisons were blizzards take on housing, i personally wouldnt mind having a relevant garrison as it was. I found it fun to interact inside of it with all the missions/crafting/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    Precisely. There is no possible way that an MMO can have all of its content appeal to the entirety of its playerbase. Yet, virtually all WoW content funnels you down the same pipeline. You might be further along in that pipeline than others, or stop yourself at some point, but you're in that pipeline nevertheless. The loot treadmill. You move from Normal to Heroic to Mythic. You infinitely scale your dungeon runs. You rank up your PvP ELO.

They need to release content that stands on its own merit, disconnected from the loot grind. As an added bonus? These systems become evergreen content that do not require additional updates or reinvention.

Torghast is a great example. A rogue-like experience in WoW sounds intriguing to me, but utterly pointless to others. All the same, because it was roped into itemization, those people that find it unappealing are still required to do it. Months down the line, the system is dedicated to these players rather than the players that were actually interested in the concept. They kneecapped themselves. And to top it off? The entire system is going to go in the trash come 10.0. And they'll reinvent it. Having learned the wrong lessons.
    I'm really curious what is going to happen and how they will learn the wrong lessons in 10.0, because you are right that that is the trend. The game needs a dramatic shift toward evergreen content and away from the "do challenging content or gtfo" attitude.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

i would like housing in wow
    i dont think wow could get housing right

5+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind it, but I don't want it to come at the cost of dungeons/raids.

If it came at the cost of the next variation on Island Expedition or Thorgast, i think we can make that trade.
    WoW can't make a 100% built-it-yourself housing system, but we can easily get something that's 20x more fun to play with then garrisons.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    If they did real player housing (like they were originally imagining it for WoD) where multiple locations and styles were available with real customizations (like many other MMORPGs have), sure.

If they are going to half-*** it like they did with Garrison v1.0, then no.

Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    I can understand not caring for it, but why would anyone be against it?
    Because common sense says spending half the budget on a massive feature like dollhouses comes at the cost of raids, dungeons, world zones and other content that is generally enjoyed by most of the population.

It is important to let The Sims be The Sims and let WoW be WoW. People can choose the genre they want to play. The Sims doesn't need a first person shooter mode. WoW doesn't need a dollhouse simulator.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Honestly i'd rather they let us get say heads of foes we've slain as drops(or crafting materials to do it) some general area props etc and just let us fsrm old content and craft away for housing stuff then touch garrisons
    They had that in Dark Ages of Camelot and it panned out for awhile but ultimately just became less important. I'm down for it either way but ultimately it felt more like another distraction than something to actually play. I've always felt when an MMO starts mimicking reality it's on a down curve but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Nah. I don't need a place in WoW to be alone at.

Now Guild Housing on the other hand...
    i agree a guild hall is the way to go,as it would have to be instanced anyway,entering the guild hall you would always in most cases see other guild members hanging around and doing stuff but a solo home would feel isolated and soon become boring,in a guild hall would have maybe class specific areas and ah and profession npcs.

No, because now they have much more important issues at hand - like for example making an expack without gimmicky features that is just fun to paly at its core. Also generally the way they implement this kind of stuff is made so next expansion everything is worthless, so no thanks.

When they get back on track, and decide to add new permanent features for the game, then i'd be curious about it.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    The best part about it is you don't have to if you don't want to, a lesson blizzard desperately needs to learn.
    That's true, just like the worst part is you can't used it even if you want, no the apartment is not enough of a substitute
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by natpick View Post
    i agree a guild hall is the way to go,as it would have to be instanced anyway,entering the guild hall you would always in most cases see other guild members hanging around and doing stuff but a solo home would feel isolated and soon become boring,in a guild hall would have maybe class specific areas and ah and profession npcs.
    Also a mine and herb garden. I liked that in WoD. But getting them for free on each character was bad for the economy. Guilds could have gardens based on the amount of active contributing members, thus limiting the amount of ressources entering the game, while also supporting guilds, which are still the backbone of the social experience in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    I'm really curious what is going to happen and how they will learn the wrong lessons in 10.0, because you are right that that is the trend. The game needs a dramatic shift toward evergreen content and away from the "do challenging content or gtfo" attitude.
    Yeah, WoW needs to do all the things that "WoW killers" did, before they all failed and went bankrupt. Riiiight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    tbf. we also had 18 years of "Cross faction play will NEVER happen! The divide fundamental to the game!" Well...oops
    Cross faction has been in the game for years. You can queue for BGs cross-faction, right now.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    Because common sense says spending half the budget on a massive feature like dollhouses comes at the cost of raids, dungeons, world zones and other content that is generally enjoyed by most of the population.

It is important to let The Sims be The Sims and let WoW be WoW. People can choose the genre they want to play. The Sims doesn't need a first person shooter mode. WoW doesn't need a dollhouse simulator.
    Why is the argument against housing, always that it's apparently this absolutely massive behemoth of a feature that'd cost them ressources for like 5 expansions and the first born of all employees. It's basically just gamifying the dev tools to make houses and interiors with restrictions. It would not be as expensive as people make it out to be, because we wouldn't get housing as crazy as people think with their expectations being "i want to build a skull shaped mansion on top of the black temple and have laserpenguins and mechadinosaurs roam on motorcycles while ETC70 plays in my frontyard!"
    We have SO MANY optional sidefeatures that people (including you) just ignore if they don't care, from pvpers and pvpers ignoring the ENTIRETY of pvp or pve which ARE big in ressources, pet battles, professions, transmog, achievement hunting, the list goes on.
    Why are people so adamant that this ONE thing will apparently kill raid tiers, WoW and anything in the known universe.

If housing actually comes to WoW, it will not be this elaborate feature people think will be (not Garrison levels, but definitely not this ultra mega customization feature) and see interest at the start and drop off quickly after that to rather expected levels. Basically every other MMO on the market has housing, but somehow WoW is the only one that absolutely CANNOT have housing because... reasons. Let people enjoy whatever the fuck they want. Some want to fish all day, some want to down mythic bosses, some farm their perfect transmog and others would enjoy housing (and likely RPing in them)

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    WoD didn't really have so much less content.
    But yes Garrison kept you in the garrison. But onyl because they gave us everything we need in there.
    There was no reason to go out anymore. Like at all.

Housing is purely cosmetic. Or should be. Imho.
    Wrong. It kept me in the Garrison because it was the only content in the game to do. There was nothing outside it in the open world. Tog et what you want will make it even worse. People will stay in their instance because there is nothing eklse to do,.

It is also humorous that the same people who complain the game is too anti-social want to implement something that promotes sitting by yourself in your own instance and being even more anti-social.

I want it for the people who want it, but I personally just don't care that much about it. I wouldn't even attempt to engage it if it was introduced like FFXIV's system, and I'm not sure WoW would settle for a garrison/personal instanced version of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakzor View Post
    Basically every other MMO on the market has housing, but somehow WoW is the only one that absolutely CANNOT have housing because... reasons. Let people enjoy whatever the fuck they want. Some want to fish all day, some want to down mythic bosses, some farm their perfect transmog and others would enjoy housing (and likely RPing in them)
    IF every other game in the market encouraged people to jump off a cliff, does that mean WoW should do the same? Other games having it does not mean WoW should. Wow stands out by NOT having it. Other games having something is not a legit argument for WoW having it. How dare WoW be about going out in the world to adventure instead of playing house. There are plenty of other games you can play house on.

WoW became the king of MMO's without housing and has gone on without it for 17 years just fine.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    IF every other game in the market encouraged people to jump off a cliff, does that mean WoW should do the same? Other games having it does not mean WoW should. Wow stands out by NOT having it. Other games having something is not a legit argument for WoW having it. How dare WoW be about going out in the world to adventure instead of playing house. There are plenty of other games you can play house on.

WoW became the king of MMO's without housing and has gone on without it for 17 years just fine.
    WoW standing out by not having it is not a feature, it's just sad. Why do some people act like housing is hurting them oO?

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Yes, something like the garrison but more customisable.
    I mean i still use the garrison as a convenient minihub with two "hearthstones" and a customisable portal thingy.

Alter it so that i can get different environmental backdrops, more racial styles, perhaps some random furniture, designable heraldries or whatever.

I mean it would need to fit the warcraft, so that'd need to be reflected; some utility for the zones perhaps? Seems like a better use than as a mission table; make the missions far fewer but make them have practical effects, like i.e. spawning a world event / quest thingy, maybe build a temporary building or somesuch, hell let factions compete with it; order attacks which then spawn a pvp thingy.
    A player influenced world map sounds sweet, if admittedly hard to pull off, but allowing individual players to alter one thing in 1 zone a day with a mission table sounds doable.

Also seems like a good idea to allow people to showcase stuff they're not currently using, i.e. unused transmog sets, armor dolls, weapons racks, toy stores, mount stables, pet(ting) zoos, etc., in addition to providing new options for collectibles (i for one really liked collecting background musics for my garrison, but also followers and even archeology thingies).

And there is another thing that has been left unadressed for far too long imo: The role of your alts in-game.
    Personally i've always seen them as friends or acquaintanves of one another, explaining shared achievements and such. So maybe make it one big player "village" where your alts are also out and about? Would love to see i.e. my dark iron shaman doing his shaman things while i'm on my warrior.

I've also often used the title "ambassador" on my horde characters, so thatmight be interesting too.
    Last edited by loras; 2022-04-08 at 09:00 PM.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    WoW standing out by not having it is not a feature, it's just sad. Why do some people act like housing is hurting them oO?
    IT is not sad. Why do some people act like having no housing is a major detriment to the game? Wow is different by trying to get people adventuring out the world instead of sitting in an instance in your owe little world. There is zero reason for the game to have housing as it is a great game with out it.