Poll: Do you want Player Housing in WoW?

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Honestly would just rather them modify and modernize my current garrison. I am still there almost everyday and I think it has a lot of potential, especially if we can modify the architecture. Blizzard seems to like the idea of reusing things as of late so who knows.

I think this would be the best case scenario as most of the resources are there already.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Much more social to AFK in a city or standing next to a mailbox?

It doesn't matter where people go to AFK. It doesn't affect the game either way.
    It impacts things when the feature demands a metric fuckton of development time and doesn't functionally move people into any of the game's strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Oh, this is where we pretend that WoW and FFXIV have the same exact game play loop and the two playerbases want exactly the same things from the game. Just because it works with one playerbase doesn't mean it will with another. And again, for I think the four-hundredth fucking time... it's okay for different games to have different experiences. If you want a dance party in your house, cool. Play the game that allows you to do that. You won't find me on FFXIV forums demanding the game become more like WoW, why on earth is it perfectly okay to do the opposite?
    Housing works in pretty much ANY MMO that has it. I have never heard of an MMO that had housing, where the players went "i wish it wasn't there, it makes everything worse". It's an optional side feature. Like pet battles, achievements, transmog or mount farming. It won't make people any more antisocial than they are now. If anything, if people think their houses are dope, they might invite others for whatever reason. Ultimately, it doesn't matter if someone afks for 5 hours in *insert city other than your current hearthstone* or their house. If someone is always in Shattrath, that person is similarly "not in the world" for most people as someone in a house.
    Also, what does the gameplay loop have to do with this? It is side content. It doesn't matter what the gameplay loop of either game is. Not to mention MMOs don't have "one" single gameplay loop. They have lots for different people. FFXIV has several that are actively played (like raids or professions) just like WoW has different ones (like pvp, pet battles or mount collecting). And if you didn't notice, Blizzard also caters to the different gameplay loops, even with weekly events like the seperate dungeon week, pet battle week or battleground week.
    And no one is demanding the game to become like another, the question was merely if people would want playerhousing. It's the people here constantly being "IF YOU WANT HOUSING PLAY FF14!!" as if one feature would remake the entire game into something else and delete everything currently existing. There are numerous MMOs with housing, not just FF14 and in all them, people still do the "normal" content.

Not really. I barely used the Garrison or Order Hall outside of what was necessary for continuing the campaign/ character progress. I've never gave a shit about it and never used it in any game outside of the two aforementioned times in WoW.

Now, if they can add it and it doesn't weave it's way into the story and requires it's use without taking away from other features then fine. But if it's something that comes at the expense of some aspect I enjoy, then forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakzor View Post
    And no one is demanding the game to become like another, the question was merely if people would want playerhousing. It's the people here constantly being "IF YOU WANT HOUSING PLAY FF14!!" as if one feature would remake the entire game into something else and delete everything currently existing. There are numerous MMOs with housing, not just FF14 and in all them, people still do the "normal" content.
    That's the entire argument. You're saying it wouldn't but given how impotent and boring Garrisons ended up being I can't see any feature which tries to iterate on this will be more successful. There's a demographic of players who want housing and in a perfect world where housing could be introduced in a way that doesn't take away from the available player pool for the things that WoW does well, I'd say go for it. But we don't live in a perfect world and I'd rather not watch Blizzard spend countless thousands of development hours iterating on the feature to make it work when they can be spending that time improving the things the game already does pretty well on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    And this is a good example of someone having found his/her home within the raiding category, enjoying themselves with the content they seek out from WoW, but player housing is more or less something needed in the 'world' category of World of Warcraft, for others to enjoy, like you, and the other groups are the minority to the content but flagged as the 'big boys'.
    Sorry if I came off wrong. I don't mean I specifically don't want player housing I just mean personally I don't care either way. Put it in, don't put it in. It'll simply be like pet battles to me. A mechanic I'll look at when it first comes out and then never touch again. Ofcourse it'll improve others experience put it in doesn't hurt me. I don't agree with the argument "well the hours spent implementing playerhousing could of been spent on the things I like" because the teams that work on the things I like wouldn't be working on playerhousing anyway.

I dunno if I agree on the notion that the majority want playerhousing though, it's very much an RP element and the roleplayers are another set of the minority and perhaps the smaller of the minorities. I feel like it's one of those mechanics that gets talked up a lot but then it's implemented and the charm wears off real fast. End of the day the majority of gamers just don't really care about that kinda stuff in the long run.

That being said the same could be said for Arena, BGs, Raiding, M+, Mount Collecting, Pet Battles, Transmog, Classic servers etc. etc. WoW is a themepark MMO and it's community is built up of lots of minorities, I doubt any one niche holds a substantially larger majority than any other and I am sure for the RP niche player housing would be a welcome addition.

I agree as well that I don't understand why so many consider raiding to be the main thing people do in WoW as this can almost instantly be proven to be false. There are 2200 guilds worldwide that have killed 1 Mythic boss this tier. Say an average of 30 raiders/guild (which is likely an overestimation) that makes 66000 players. Assuming the game still holds 2million players (A fairly safe assumption I would say) that means 3.5% of the playerbase are mythic raiders.
    Last edited by Fitsu; 2022-04-09 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyi View Post
    Honestly would just rather them modify and modernize my current garrison. I am still there almost everyday and I think it has a lot of potential, especially if we can modify the architecture. Blizzard seems to like the idea of reusing things as of late so who knows.

I think this would be the best case scenario as most of the resources are there already.
    Really? Haven't touched it since I unlocked the last campaign thingy through the naval base back in WoD.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fitsu View Post
    Sorry if I came off wrong. I don't mean I specifically don't want player housing I just mean personally I don't care either way. Put it in, don't put it in. It'll simply be like pet battles to me. A mechanic I'll look at when it first comes out and then never touch again. Ofcourse it'll improve others experience put it in doesn't hurt me. I don't agree with the argument "well the hours spent implementing playerhousing could of been spent on the things I like" because the teams that work on the things I like wouldn't be working on playerhousing anyway.

I dunno if I agree on the notion that the majority want playerhousing though, it's very much an RP element and the roleplayers are another set of the minority and perhaps the smaller of the minorities. I feel like it's one of those mechanics that gets talked up a lot but then it's implemented and the charm wears off real fast. End of the day the majority of gamers just don't really care about that kinda stuff in the long run.

That being said the same could be said for Arena, BGs, Raiding, M+, Mount Collecting, Pet Battles, Transmog, Classic servers etc. etc. WoW is a themepark MMO and it's community is built up of lots of minorities, I doubt any one niche holds a substantially larger majority than any other and I am sure for the RP niche player housing would be a welcome addition.

I agree as well that I don't understand why so many consider raiding to be the main thing people do in WoW as this can almost instantly be proven to be false. There are 2200 guilds worldwide that have killed 1 Mythic boss this tier. Say an average of 30 raiders/guild (which is likely an overestimation) that makes 66000 players. Assuming the game still holds 2million players (A fairly safe assumption I would say) that means 3.5% of the playerbase are mythic raiders.
    Mythic is a bad metric. Show me normal and heroic statistics. That is where the majority of raiders are. Well LFR, but this forum is schizophrenic when it comes to LFR. Some days LFR is not considered raiding when it comes to talking about difficulty and gatekeeping gear. The next day it counts as raiding when arguing that a large chunk of players raid.

Mythic is and always will be small beans.

5+ Year Old Account
    I'd very much love it. The Farm in Pandaria was lovely, it was the only time my character had a home. The Wod Garrison never really felt like mine, considering it was just Orcish/Human themed. The Orderhalls are cool, but are just country clubs--for fun/play but not a home.

I'd be fine if they made a fixed instance location in each zone and when you enter it, we could build/decorate with game assets that you could unlock or something for this purpose. Maybe get a few npcs to make it feel more alive and you can set their routing. And of course, just invite people into a group (you have to be leader or something) and they can enter your "home". Sounds like a dream.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

10+ Year Old Account
    I’m against it because I think it’s a waste of time and would take resources away from important content such as raids, story, dungeons, PvP and art. I’ve played various MMO’s with player housing and I’ve found it boring. I prefer challenging group content and player housing is almost the exact opposite of that.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

I think the reason why people want player housing is because it wont be irrelevant content each patch. They could carry it over every expansion to if they wanted.

I'd never vote against ADDING something to the game, even if it's not what I want in concept, my issue is when they don't want to add anything new (like a new class for an EXPANSION.) I'd love player housing if it was exciting. If it's like Garrisons, I'm torn on it. At first I found it boring and solitary, but when I gave it another try after re-subbing, I actually found having my own space that was self sustainable was pretty cool. I guess if they took the Garrisons concept, and made it more customizable, like a shire-sized, then I'd be all for it. Of course it's tricky to pull off where it would be universally praised because everyone has their own idea of what player housing should be. I don't blame them for not having tried it yet, it's difficult to please everyone with what would essentially be a vanity feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Infernoxas View Post
    I think the reason why people want player housing is because it wont be irrelevant content each patch. They could carry it over every expansion to if they wanted.
    Exactly! Much like transmog it would be a persistent system that would showcase your character's personality and accomplishments. I think a lot of people who don't see the appeal are the ones who don't transmog, wear the current tier, or have picked a given tier and wear it forever.

To those who feel it would steal dev time from other activities, I understand. Anybody who doesn't participate in all parts of the game understands. When I see the new arena coming in 9.2.5 I see a missing raid boss. But I also have enough awareness to know that people have been asking for more arenas and bgs for years now and can accept that not everything is designed for me. Will it housing take dev time? Most definitely. So do pet battles, and the toy box, and transmog.

Battle Pets are probably the closest comparison to what many of us want from player housing. Once it's in the game all Blizz has to do is keep adding basic stuff to it. Give me a statue or head of the boss when I beat a raid. Let leatherworkers make me some couches. Add an achievement gives me a cool fountain. AND the beauty of it is they don't have to make most of these assets unique to housing, anything made for housing can be put in a dungeon/raid/bg or city. Not to mention, there's already thousands of environmental items available in the world. I guarantee someone would love to have their own version of Black Temple's brothel or their own arcwine vineyard.

As for the "problem" of people just afking in their homes. In my experiences with housing in other MMOs, it is a nonissue. However, the simple and expedient solution is just to not add the things to housing that would keep people there. The biggest is just don't put an auction house there. If people want to sit on their Brutosaur in their home it's no different than them sitting on top of Mt Kunlai or or the bottom of Vash'jir and they can do those now. People sat in their garrison because there was no reason to leave. It had everything you needed and also the WoD cities were absolute garbage that were often plagued by horrible lag.

Decorating my apartment in FFXIV was a ton of fun and made me more invested in that game. WoW has the potential to implement and even better housing system, provided that it is not bogged down by the absurd difficulty of obtaining a house like in FFXIV and also has other QoL features like being able to log back into your house, rather than being kicked out on the curb in front.

Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    EDIT: To everyone asking for a "Neutral" option on the poll, you should keep the following in mind: the addition of Player Housing would come at the cost of other areas of the game suffering as a large chunk of their time and resources would be invested into this feature.
    Making more excuses for the multi-billion dollar game studio, I see.

There is absolutely no reason why we couldn't have been able to plop down a garrison in any WoD zone as was originally promised, or have had aesthetic options for all races at launch. The reason we didn't get that stuff boils down to pure greed and laziness on Blizzard's part. They learned long ago that they could slide by doing the bare minimum and their most ardent fanboys will continue to be milked.

caveat to my desire for housing... it has to be something they don't do for an expac then drop like they did garrisons. I enjoyed my garrison and hated leaving it behind vs continuing to expand on the idea/feature
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post

There is absolutely no reason why we couldn't have been able to plop down a garrison in any WoD zone as was originally promised, or have had aesthetic options for all races at launch. The reason we didn't get that stuff boils down to pure greed and laziness on Blizzard's part. They learned long ago that they could slide by doing the bare minimum and their most ardent fanboys will continue to be milked.
    Don't they have the biggest team they've ever had working on content, or was that BfA? I doubt they're employing more & more people in recent years so they can slack off at work, & so I think calling it laziness is unfair. The lack of content to show for it boils down to incompetence moreso than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Exactly. It's also not like it would take massive amounts of work to keep the feature running in the first place. Making the changes to the framework to allow placement of objects and reserving some space in the database for it would essentially be a one time investment. After that it's just using parts of already existing assets and associating them with item names and icons, if they do it properly throwing some crafting recipes in the mix as well. This is not some massive development effort like balancing another class or anything even remotely close.. It certainly shouldn't be daunting for a AAA studio.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    Don't they have the biggest team they've ever had working on content, or was that BfA? I doubt they're employing more & more people in recent years so they can slack off at work, & so I think calling it laziness is unfair. The lack of content to show for it boils down to incompetence moreso than anything else.
    I have a hard time believing that their current team is anywhere close to something warranting the use of words like "biggest". At least that is the only way to explain the output of shadowlands.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    Blizzard has been getting lazier with each expansion and patch. Just look at BfA and SL.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am all for it but please time gate the construction to one brick a week

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    I’m against it because I think it’s a waste of time and would take resources away from important content such as raids, story, dungeons, PvP and art.
    PVP has its own team. Raids and dungeons have their own teams. Story has its own team. None of these would necessarily be involved at all with creation of a housing system.

Art is something to talk about but if you think about it the art assets used to populate housing in WoW mostly already exist in the form of racial architecture and the tens of thousands of art assets created over the years for the game.

Housing would primarily be a systems thing so yeah, you might be giving up a grindy progression system for housing. That's a trade I would make. On top of all that, whether they iterated on garrisons or not, a lot of the systems needed to do it are already embedded in the game.

I'm not saying it would be a trivial thing because they might have to create a couple of new professions for it (shocking and terrible I know). It's unlikely that the impact on the areas mentioned would be substantial.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2022-04-10 at 08:19 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Much more social to AFK in a city or standing next to a mailbox?

It doesn't matter where people go to AFK. It doesn't affect the game either way.
    true, but unlike housing AFKing in city doesnt need developers to sacrifice time and resources that could be put to better use...