Poll: Do you want Player Housing in WoW?

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    Yes. It's one of the most free wins possible for the devs.

Transmog, mounts and pet collecting with the Wardrobe feature single handedly added thousands of hours of gameplay and spawned some amazing secondary progression system addons like ATT (All The Things). Imagine what Player Housing could do if implemented correctly. Furniture and decoratives collected from legacy and new content alike, themed after the raids/dungeons/locations they are obtained from. Displays for other collectibles. Gold dumps for rich players (I have nothing to spend my 30 million gold on, the game needs more gold dumps). More furniture and decoratives attached to professions to boost the no-power oriented economy. Player Housing could add more content to the game than the Wardrobe already did, which was incredibly substantial.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Quote Originally Posted by Infernoxas View Post
    I think the reason why people want player housing is because it wont be irrelevant content each patch. They could carry it over every expansion to if they wanted.
    they could carry literaly ANYTHING to next expansion if they wanted, for some reasons they dont seem to want that, so why would housing end up being different?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fatgunn View Post
    I think a lot of people who don't see the appeal are the ones who don't transmog, wear the current tier, or have picked a given tier and wear it forever.
    i love transmog/mounts/toys collecting, bcs i can see them while playing the game, housing on the other hand is not...
    if i run a dungeon i see my mog and mount, but i dont see my house... its completely separated from most of the game...

- - - Updated - - -

i love how people on MMO-C try to claim 99% wow players are power oriented min-maxers, and then in other thread try to claim housing with no impact on power would be extremely popular and would "save" the game...
    so which is it, both cant be true...

im sure there would be people who love housing, and if it doesnt cost us other content good for them, but most likely scenario is that if blizz ever add it, theyll see not everybody engages with it, and abandon it after expansion... they do it with pretty much every system, why do people think housing would end up differently?
    maybe if it was universaly loved, but lets face it, thats not possible

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Because AFKing in your Warcraft-themed Sims isn't something this game needs.
    People already do that in cities. But you are ofc ignoring the aspect of house keeping where you are out in the world finding stuff for your house from activities like exploration(chests), dungeons, raids, world quests, quest chains, crafting, heck even PvP. You could argue that all queue based content in WoW just makes people sit around and wait in cities. That's not better.

Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    Every time a new expansion announcement looms on the horizon, the subject of Player Housing is brought up. Every single time, without fail.

I've personally never seen the appeal of Player Housing, but I may be a bit of an outlier as I detest building even in games that have a large focus on building. I remember when I played Sims 4, I always picked a pre-made house to get into the gameplay quicker. Valheim I actually quit when I realized I had to build a house, and in Minecraft I've always built something really fast (usually in the side of a mountain or underground so I don't have to place as many blocks).

But I'm curious, how many here actually want Player Housing in WoW? And I'd also like to know why, because to me it seems like a strangely anti-social feature to have in an MMO.

EDIT: To everyone asking for a "Neutral" option on the poll, you should keep the following in mind: the addition of Player Housing would come at the cost of other areas of the game suffering as a large chunk of their time and resources would be invested into this feature. So when you say your opinion is "Neutral" on the matter, you might as well reword it to "I don't care about losing out on cool shit in the game if it means we get housing", which means your answer on the poll might as well be "Yes" since you don't care about the massive content trade-off that Player Housing comes with.
    Wow. I know this isn't a forum where we strive for objectivity and avoiding bias but this is loaded even for here.

"I won't put neutral cause it means losing out on 'actual cool features'". No no you can't say "I'm neutral because I would have no issue with having this as a major but don't strive for it.

Also strangely anti-social? Inviting people to see your player home is quite social. And if you've ever seen ESO? Player Housing can easily be made into Guild Halls where people socialize.

Oh and they'd be great if tied to professions; creating both Gold Sinks and ways to circulate gold
    One day I look forward to seeing full grown adults realize that their averse reactions to levity and positive/contemplative expressions of emotion are a cry for therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I'm not saying it would be a trivial thing because they might have to create a couple of new professions for it (shocking and terrible I know). It's unlikely that the impact on the areas mentioned would be substantial.
    I wish I could believe this but part of the reason for 5.4's extremely lengthy content drought was because of Blizzard iterating on the Garrison feature. And even then, they still didn't work properly on launch causing one of the few times Blizzard has given its entire playerbase free game time based off of the unplayability of the game. I just... I don't have as rosy an outlook on Blizzard's ability to develop a feature like this without it either directly or indirectly impinging on some other feature greatly. I'd rather they simply didn't bother; also, given the radio silence from Blizzard on the subject of player housing I'd say they're probably of a similar opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    Every time a new expansion announcement looms on the horizon, the subject of Player Housing is brought up. Every single time, without fail.

I've personally never seen the appeal of Player Housing, but I may be a bit of an outlier as I detest building even in games that have a large focus on building. I remember when I played Sims 4, I always picked a pre-made house to get into the gameplay quicker. Valheim I actually quit when I realized I had to build a house, and in Minecraft I've always built something really fast (usually in the side of a mountain or underground so I don't have to place as many blocks).

But I'm curious, how many here actually want Player Housing in WoW? And I'd also like to know why, because to me it seems like a strangely anti-social feature to have in an MMO.

EDIT: To everyone asking for a "Neutral" option on the poll, you should keep the following in mind: the addition of Player Housing would come at the cost of other areas of the game suffering as a large chunk of their time and resources would be invested into this feature. So when you say your opinion is "Neutral" on the matter, you might as well reword it to "I don't care about losing out on cool shit in the game if it means we get housing", which means your answer on the poll might as well be "Yes" since you don't care about the massive content trade-off that Player Housing comes with.
    No. Please god no. I would hate if the brought that crap into wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Really? Haven't touched it since I unlocked the last campaign thingy through the naval base back in WoD.

- - - Updated - - -

Mythic is a bad metric. Show me normal and heroic statistics. That is where the majority of raiders are. Well LFR, but this forum is schizophrenic when it comes to LFR. Some days LFR is not considered raiding when it comes to talking about difficulty and gatekeeping gear. The next day it counts as raiding when arguing that a large chunk of players raid.

Mythic is and always will be small beans.
    I used Mythic because I was speaking of my own niche. While both are "raiding" I wouldn't consider a Mythic raider and a Norm/HC raider to be of the same niche and to use LFR as an example is a bit silly, that's like saying everyone who has made a character on an RP server is a RPer or someone plays Arena because they queued up for a Skirmish once.

Now I guess this tier is a little unfair as it's just started but looking at last tier 5107 guilds were 4/10 Mythic by the time the tier ended. I would argue that any guild that doesn't atleast kill the first few mythic bosses during the entire tier isn't a raiding guild. There just a bunch of people doing random content, as the first few bosses on mythic are puggable by the end of a tier. So yeah your probably looking at a bigger number. Perhaps around 8% of the playerbase are raiders.

I don't mean to sound elitist, but I dunno what niche I would consider you if your literally raiding every week and progressing heroic for an entire tier I doubt this is the case for anyone but I may be wrong. There's probably guilds that don't raid but once every now and then decide to get people together and just give it a look, there more just casual/social players though not raiders.
    Last edited by Fitsu; 2022-04-10 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitsu View Post

I don't mean to sound elitist,

Proceeds to projectile vomit elitism...

I would like player housing and guild housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitsu View Post
    I used Mythic because I was speaking of my own niche. While both are "raiding" I wouldn't consider a Mythic raider and a Norm/HC raider to be of the same niche and to use LFR as an example is a bit silly, that's like saying everyone who has made a character on an RP server is a RPer or someone plays Arena because they queued up for a Skirmish once.

Now I guess this tier is a little unfair as it's just started but looking at last tier 5107 guilds were 4/10 Mythic by the time the tier ended. I would argue that any guild that doesn't atleast kill the first few mythic bosses during the entire tier isn't a raiding guild. There just a bunch of people doing random content, as the first few bosses on mythic are puggable by the end of a tier. So yeah your probably looking at a bigger number. Perhaps around 8% of the playerbase are raiders.

I don't mean to sound elitist, but I dunno what niche I would consider you if your literally raiding every week and progressing heroic for an entire tier I doubt this is the case for anyone but I may be wrong. There's probably guilds that don't raid but once every now and then decide to get people together and just give it a look, there more just casual/social players though not raiders.
    There are tons of guilds that just raid normal then heroic and never clear heroic because of lack of skill and/or RL conflicts with no desire to do mythic. Last time I looked at any raiding numbers(WoD) there were significantly more guilds that killed a boss in normal than heroic, and significantly less that killed a boss in Mythic compared to Heroic.

Even back before mythic, there plenty of normal only guilds.

I would like player housing, but not guild housing. By and large, only the guild leaders will get to have any control over how it looks/runs.

I think garrisons would have worked better with less of the resource generation. You got ore and herbs and cooking materials without having to go into the world which doesn't feel right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    I would like player housing, but not guild housing. By and large, only the guild leaders will get to have any control over how it looks/runs.

I think garrisons would have worked better with less of the resource generation. You got ore and herbs and cooking materials without having to go into the world which doesn't feel right.
    I've played two games with guild housing, FFXIV and SWTOR, and in neither one did the guild housing feel worth having existed. In both, the only time I ever went to the guild housing was when the guild leader was there for some reason and we needed to trade items with each other.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard - We have implemented FFXIV style housing, starting...NOW.
    Players - Damn it Blizzard, all the houses are sold out! I logged in a few minutes late and there's nothing left.
    House Owners - WTF do you mean I need to enter once every 45 days, just the damn MAUs again. You ruined it!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmatrix View Post
    Blizzard - We have implemented FFXIV style housing, starting...NOW.
    Players - Damn it Blizzard, all the houses are sold out! I logged in a few minutes late and there's nothing left.
    House Owners - WTF do you mean I need to enter once every 45 days, just the damn MAUs again. You ruined it!
    Just make it phased, like garrisons. Once they actually had it not bugged,it worked pretty good.

Yes, but only if we can choose the location where we want it to be. If it's some fixed location like the garrison, then I wouldn't care that much.

7+ Year Old Account

Question

Well... I'm kind of not against one, but so that it doesn't affect gameplay, so that it's something cosmetic, perhaps with some elements of mini-games (place with access to them) and separate formalized part for "accumulation of personal memories". Imo, it's quite appropriate... *looking at copious number of arcades/puzzles playing area of ​​which is limited to apartment/house and interaction with space/society/local threats adjacent to it* Here, probably, main thing to understand is that you don’t need to try to insert everything there and do it at once *pointing with a smile at garrisons* and minimum/(maximum exclusion) of this influence beyond its scope.

...but still, within framework of "old" gameplay, I lean more towards guild houses and their development/distribution of responsibilities (minigames/personal scores) = social interaction of people close to each other/friends in interests/activity. Something like virtual kindergarten, forgive me for such simplification. I repeat, ordinary game's purpose was, is and always will be conditional imitation/learning/experience, which means that certain requirements are imposed on it in the sense of social engineering. Now it's not just underworking, but rather even destructive/unattractive in this indicator. I'm not going to say that this is its main drawback, which there are quite a few of ones, but some people are obviously lazy.

To question of location - I'd certainly approach from perspective of "possible areas" with "instance entrance". Those player "chooses"/fixes own entry where wants with possibility of relocating it through "city" interface, along with possible set of pre-generated "internal terrain shapes" divided into corresponding areas of interactions with inner scripts... actually, I wrote that and see now, that this is really very similar programmatically to our "favorite" garrison, but... hmm, let's imagine that from outside it's not a garrison, but just city building of any shape, and entrance to it is same portal-phase - if we are talking about private apartment, or one of a number of seemingly finished, but empty houses (except for their own, the rest are just for "furniture") in private sector/area designated for this business/"street of guild houses", and maybe even each with private courtyard on backside - for guild houses. On the other hand...

- with "private room/apartment" in guild houses, which can be accessed not only somewhere in this/big city separately (portal-door (in place of former wall texture) inside existing public building (same as in guild house)), but also possibly in some small villages/towns... since it's just portal to personal custom area "beyond world of external influences and interactions".
    - - -
    for starters, it can be just couple of small rooms where you'll be absolutely safe, even with custom furniture, without any interactivity, just to listen to feedback and opinions

I don't know how to describe it any better.
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2022-04-22 at 06:14 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__