Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Movie] Fantastic Beasts: Secrets of Dumbledore

Just released recently. Here are some trailers

Teaser Trailer:

Official Trailer

2nd Official Trailer

3rd Official Trailer

My view, I enjoyed it, but I would have been fine never seeing it also. The creative with the beasts is actually quite good - beautiful cinematography.

There will be a part 4 if you've watched it.

Random Movie Review - ***HAS MINOR SPOILERS***

: Jarring discontinuity in Ezra Miller's role - the character develops too much off the screen and away from the soptlight in contrast to the first 2 movies - it doesn't make sense. Also, Tina Goldstein's absence is jarring - does she become lesbian at the end of this? was she replaced for "diversity reasons?" I don't know. Mads Mickelson, Jude Law were fantastic in their roles, Queenie's character development was also good. Only major disappointment was how Credence was handled, I expected much more screen time before his turning, and once again would have to wait for deleted scenes to get a proper balance of the movie.

I would hope they stop doin g this business, too many movies seem to require the extended edition or deleted scenes to get much better - and it seems to be a warner bros issue. It's like they keep cutting vital scenes directors don't want, and later when the extend cut comes, lo and behold people appreciate it much more than the original, it was the same for part 2, and also for the Zack snyder Dawn of Justice and Justice League movies.

- - - Updated - - -

okay, to be fair.. I hadn't seen seen any trailer of this before i saw it, and only saw it because my ex and their mother wanted to see it with me.

I have now seen the trailers above, and they spoil most of the movie if you ask me, many of the best shots are in these trailers, so I would advise not watching them.

I also had one additional advantage, I actually watched the first 2 films before heading to see the film, it was a chore, but i got through it, even started finding it interesting somewhere along the 2nd film - I didn't fall asleep, which usually means a film is watchaeable for me.
    Last edited by Mace; 2022-04-09 at 07:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are still making these?

I remember enjoying the first, for what it was, but tried watching the second three times before giving up. I just did not care about any of the characters or anything that was happening.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post

I remember enjoying the first, for what it was, but tried watching the second three times before giving up. I just did not care about any of the characters or anything that was happening.
    the first one had its charm, the second one...

Even the first movie in this series had me bored to tears. Needless to say I never watched the second and only had a passing interest in watching the third entry after learning that Johnny Depp got replaced by Mads Mikkelsen.

My interest quickly faded after reading nothing but negative and middling reviews stating that all the characters beyond Dumbledore and Grindelwald feel unnecessary to the plot and boring in general.

It seems obvious at this point that WB and J.K. Rowling are just milking the Harry Potter franchise for all it's worth before it fades completely from relevance.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    Even the first movie in this series had me bored to tears. Needless to say I never watched the second and only had a passing interest in watching the third entry after learning that Johnny Depp got replaced by Mads Mikkelsen.

My interest quickly faded after reading nothing but negative and middling reviews stating that all the characters beyond Dumbledore and Grindelwald feel unnecessary to the plot and boring in general.

It seems obvious at this point that WB and J.K. Rowling are just milking the Harry Potter franchise for all it's worth before it fades completely from relevance.
    I mean, the whole series was based on the title of a textbook mentioned in passing a couple times in the HP series. It's been "milking" from the very beginning.

Is Johnny Depp in this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I would hope they stop doin g this business, too many movies seem to require the extended edition or deleted scenes to get much better
    Mind as well just skip theaters altogether and release the full length picture on a blu ray set and on a streaming service.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I have now seen the trailers above, and they spoil most of the movie if you ask me, many of the best shots are in these trailers, so I would advise not watching them.
    At this point, watching trailers is more entertaining than watching full length Hollywood movies. Trailers condense the good stuff down into a couple minutes so you don't have to waste hours slogging through the crap to get to the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Is Johnny Depp in this one?
    Nope, IIRC he was fired.

It was alright, better then the last one, which had some ridiculously stupid plot.

Fantastic Beasts has some character I can stand, unlike the Harry Potter movies, Eddie is great in particular. And while I don't like how they treated Johnny, Mads is always a treat in my opinion. He's the big reason I gave this one a chance, after the last one.

But it's still "Harry Potter", so the plot is pretty simplistic, very predicable. Since the intended audience is children.
    While the movie was an alright watch, it feels like they are milking it really hard. This is the third movie, and the core plot really hasn't gotten any closer to a resolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

wait i cant remember the plot from the last one....Grindelwald was trying to stop the holocaust from happening and dumbledore and newt wanted to stop him so that the holocaust would happen? That was it right.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    wait i cant remember the plot from the last one....Grindelwald was trying to stop the holocaust from happening and dumbledore and newt wanted to stop him so that the holocaust would happen? That was it right.
    Not the Holocaust, but "another global war" (i.e. WW2). And in the process of so doing, effectively establish Wizard rule over all, arguing that they are the ones who have the power to make sure things go well for the world.

Dumbledore and friends don't want that for, uh, reasons. The same reasons that JKR never quite fully spelled out in the books, doing away with the power to literally solve world hunger and disease with a simple "why, they'd expect us to solve ALL their problems!" (which they could, but somehow only do for themselves because, uh, reasons again).

Maybe the Wizards would be afraid that if Muggles knew about them they'd ask uncomfortable questions, like why they practice slavery with non-human sentient beings, or what gives them the right to manipulate Muggles' thoughts and memories as they please.

Everything I'm reading says it releases on the 15th, but theaters in my area are showing times for the 14th? Anyone else experience anything similar?

Quote Originally Posted by kneehidude View Post
    Everything I'm reading says it releases on the 15th, but theaters in my area are showing times for the 14th? Anyone else experience anything similar?
    There's different release dates depending on where you're at. I believe it released on the 8th in the UK.

Also, a lot of theaters like to do midnight releases at 00:01 which is TECHNICALLY the next day but is often listed under the previous day for convenience. That might be why they say 14th and not 15th.
    Last edited by Biomega; 2022-04-13 at 05:53 AM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

I genuinely don't understand why they started with the fantastic beasts story. first movie had zero connection with the Harry Potter series aside from "magic". no character overlaps that I can remember. what would've been a lot better is if they had made a 3 part series about the Grindelwald movies and had Dumbledore introduced early, maybe have a member or two of the Order of the Phoenix appear as well (some of the older ones from the Harry Potter series would've been in their 20's around 1945) and then a 3 part series dealing with the first time Voldemort attempted to take over the Ministry, which I believe would've been set in the late 70's early 80's?

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I genuinely don't understand why they started with the fantastic beasts story.
    I believe there was already a supplemental book out with that title, so they piggybacked on the name recognition value. And they probably wanted a younger protagonist than Dumbledore to make it more appealing to younger audiences, which is why they went with another bumbling Hogwarts misfit and tacked everything else onto that.

I agree it'd be a better story if they had just focused on the more serious parts of it with full focus - but then again the goal is to make money, not to make a good story. And while the latter CAN lead to the former, it's not a necessary requirement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I genuinely don't understand why they started with the fantastic beasts story. first movie had zero connection with the Harry Potter series aside from "magic". no character overlaps that I can remember. what would've been a lot better is if they had made a 3 part series about the Grindelwald movies and had Dumbledore introduced early, maybe have a member or two of the Order of the Phoenix appear as well (some of the older ones from the Harry Potter series would've been in their 20's around 1945) and then a 3 part series dealing with the first time Voldemort attempted to take over the Ministry, which I believe would've been set in the late 70's early 80's?
    I honestly think making the series about Grindelwald was the biggest mistake. Prequels rarely work for me because we already know the story. We know how Grindelwald's story ends so what is the movie going to tell us? The first movie worked because it was mostly disconnected from the original movies. All the stuff with Newt in America and seeing the different between UK and US magical societies, that's all the good stuff in that first movie. I think most people wanted more, and new, fun magical stories. Not another world ending threat that is actually the first world ending threat that we already know doesn't end the world.

I honestly think making the series about Grindelwald was the biggest mistake. Prequels rarely work for me because we already know the story. We know how Grindelwald's story ends so what is the movie going to tell us? The first movie worked because it was mostly disconnected from the original movies. All the stuff with Newt in America and seeing the different between UK and US magical societies, that's all the good stuff in that first movie. I think most people wanted more, and new, fun magical stories. Not another world ending threat that is actually the first world ending threat that we already know doesn't end the world.
    I think the mistake was trying to tie in the orginal Harry Potter characters at all. I enjoyed the first movie more before it became about a grand interconnected plot that strained believability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    I think the mistake was trying to tie in the orginal Harry Potter characters at all. I enjoyed the first movie more before it became about a grand interconnected plot that strained believability.
    Exactly, yeah. Set it in the same world, cause HP sells still, just totally new characters in a different location with a totally new plot.

Exactly, yeah. Set it in the same world, cause HP sells still, just totally new characters in a different location with a totally new plot.
    I think it lost me when they had Dumbledore being desperate to allow the nuking of japan and the holocaust and desperate to thwart his secret gay lover from stopping ww2 is where I felt they lost the plot a little...

I had to rewatch that scene a few times to come to grips with them doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    It’s like making a whole movie series about a throwaway line. I would have preferred more if Newt was like a Forrest Gump type stumbling backwards through wizarding history. It seems like he was in the first one to an extent, but I would have preferred they lean into that.

I’ll likely catch this when it is for free in a service I’m already paying for/leeching.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Some fantastic beasts we'll show in the trailer so you can see we do actually have some beasts and the middling subplot that became the main plot because of lack of cohesive vision from the start and the references from Dumbledores army so we can relate this to the main franchise.

Should have been the working title imo
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.