Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Of course there is a difference in lore, but from a concept standpoint it's still the same. Deathwing was nearly invincible when we had to fight him. And we will find a way to defeat Chromatus as well.
    Both had little to no buildup as characters right now.
    Then that applies to all the final bosses in each expansion with the exception being Arthas, but even in Wrath, the Lich King himself confirmed that he really isn't Arthas but is actually possessing Arthas's body. We don't even know if he's Arthas, Ner'zhul, or the Jailer all in one.

Plus, ever since the Jailer, I will pretty much take a dumb monster over another Jailer... at least dumb monsters like Deathwing don't need an over-complicating plan or motives to destroy stuff. They can do it whenever they feel like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could just watch Platinum WoW's video on dragons if you need to catch up. It's a bit tongue-in-cheek, but all the lore adds up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well from a power perspective dragons are sub aspect level which are sub keeper level which are sub titan level which are sub pantheon level which is sub first ones level... we've come a long way since Chromatus (remember he mentioned serving Deathwing and that Deathwing would be harder to defeat so is sub aspect power)

Not sure how they can build the story unless they make it similar to MOP with no obvious big bad, to be fair it'd be nice to return to a none avengers level threat for once...
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2022-04-12 at 09:37 AM.

I guess it'll be fine if it's a filler expansion. But that's about it. Not overwhelmed, not underwhelmed. Just.. whelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    And we will still stomp them as nothing as we always do.

Still quite bored of dragons to be honest also gw 2 just had a dragon expansion.
    Agreed, i'd rather they all be evil, like in LotR and DoTA as some powerful threat. I also dig misunderstood.. but Dragon is not a term we use for good

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    And yet did almost nothing, aside from the Cataclysm itself.

DW is one of the biggest letdowns in WoW history. He came in, set the stage for an entire expansion, and then basically fucked off for the rest of it, only to be kamehameha'd by Thrall in a completely anticlimactic ex-machina ending.

He was one of THE original big bads, and yet he couldn't manage more than to give us a few new zones and a renovation of Stormwind.
    Exaclty. What goals could a nearly invincible being realistically have? That's why such characters are the most boring. And tend to do nothing, because there is nothing to gain for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Woggmer View Post
    Then that applies to all the final bosses in each expansion with the exception being Arthas, but even in Wrath, the Lich King himself confirmed that he really isn't Arthas but is actually possessing Arthas's body. We don't even know if he's Arthas, Ner'zhul, or the Jailer all in one.

Plus, ever since the Jailer, I will pretty much take a dumb monster over another Jailer... at least dumb monsters like Deathwing don't need an over-complicating plan or motives to destroy stuff. They can do it whenever they feel like it.
    Garrosh had quite the buildup and wasn't nearly invincible. Same goes for Kiljaeden or Archimonde or many other Bosses from Vanilla up to Legion. The only times where we couldn't just walk up to a boss and beat his ass (after clearing the way of course) were Deathwing and the Jailer. And Chromatus would promise to be similar to either one of them. A big bad without a goal or a big bad without a reason.

Dragons are awesome

except for the Ruby ones. Besides Alexstraza's tits, what did they even do?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    Dragons are awesome

except for the Ruby ones. Besides Alexstraza's tits, what did they even do?
    Well, what did the green ones ever do? The red ones at least helped in Wrath.

10+ Year Old Account
    the problem is how can they downscale us that massively and still be ok?
    I actually hate cosmic threats and hated them since the void lords and jailer and afterlife, but still, how can u convince me someone who fought titan has a problem with a dragon?
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Garrosh had quite the buildup and wasn't nearly invincible. Same goes for Kiljaeden or Archimonde or many other Bosses from Vanilla up to Legion. The only times where we couldn't just walk up to a boss and beat his ass (after clearing the way of course) were Deathwing and the Jailer. And Chromatus would promise to be similar to either one of them. A big bad without a goal or a big bad without a reason.
    Except Garrosh wasn't killed, we only knocked the wind out of him and they put him on a trial, then he talks to a Bronze Dragon and that's how we end up in WoD. Where they said "Oh we're gonna have Grommash be the final villain" and if he was the final villain, that would be a boss I would agree with you on... but no, we instead get Archimonde, and it's the same Archimonde we killed in TBC too. Only this time we actually get to kill him and waste his potential in the one expansion a lot of people hated... he was death fodder just so he could send Gul'dan to Azeroth and start the set up for Legion.

Every final boss from MoP all the way to BFA, was a surprise boss they don't tell until the final patch or when we actually meet said final boss. The Jailer was the first time in a while where they said that he was going to be the final boss of Shadowlands and it came true... The only problem was that Jailer didn't do much other than say, "I am responsible for everything and I am going to make remake reality" and Blizz goes out of their way to damage pre-existing lore and retconning it just to emphasize that fact he is responsible for the Scourge, the 4th War, and the events of Wrath of the Lich King, AND EVEN THEN... They do nothing with him except give us a reason why Sylvanas isn't the evil one, but that it was the Jailer's doing the whole time.

Chromatus doesn't have a lot of lore in him to begin with, giving them a chance to actually build it because he's only from 1 source material and build him up from there. They don't need to dig through old lore and retcon it to justify Chromatus's actions or make him sympathetic. Like I said, I'll take a Dragon Frankenstein Monster with little lore and more action, over a Death God with too much lore and not enough action.

As for the whole "We can't just walk up to him and kill him" that's more of a gameplay issue that Ion likes to enforce on the player base. Ever since he took over, he's been pushing for "we need to use the borrowed power thing to kill the boss" and that's probably what he's gonna do again. I wouldn't be surprised if the Deathwing encounters were also Ion's idea since he was in charge of Raid Boss Designs and Implementations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nigh unstoppable?

Have you been paying attention?

Didn't Thrall kick Chromatus' ass in Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects?

Thrall finds Alexstrasza in an even more shattered state. He shares with her the vision he was granted, and in solemn silence, the two witness Krasus' heroic sacrifice to protect the Wyrmrests' unhatched children from being born as chromatic beasts. Reinvigorated and regaining her confidence, the Life-Binder travels to the Nexus to join forces with the new Aspect of Magic. Before long, the red, blue, and green dragonflights are reunited with their respective Aspects. With their might combined, they leave to do battle with the murderous Chromatus and his ilk. After a vicious battle, Chromatus reaches his full potential - and overpowers all three of the mighty Aspects. The downhill fight is relieved by the arrival of Nozdormu and his bronze flight, and the Aspect of Time puts forward the notion that they will need to work together, in the most fundamental sense of the word, to defeat this creature that embodies all of their traits and powers. However, Chromatus has a head for each dragonflight, and there are no black dragons present to assist in this task - though Thrall, as a shaman, offers to take on that role. In their humanoid forms, the aspects open themselves along with Thrall to truly gain a sense of unity; and while he struggles to hold the ceremony together, Thrall succeeds in his role in Neltharion‘s stead. Knowing that he could never become as Aspect, he remains content with the notion that he could assist his allies in their hour of need.

The four Aspects launch a volley of powerful abilities at the stunned Chromatus, who cannot bring himself to counter the volatile new powers at their disposal. The chromatic dragon is blasted downwards; the Twilight Father in tow. Chromatus' lifeless body is stored in a specifically-made arcane prison by the blue dragonflight, as it seems impossible to completely eradicate him.
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Thr...of_the_Aspects

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    <snip>
    Because, in my opinion, there is very little mysticism left for the dragons. Expansion after expansion, we learned more and more about the dragons, and in Cataclysm they all lost their Aspect powers...

I believe there is almost nothing left to be told about dragons, and what little there is, I feel it's not enough to carry an entire expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always thought WoW dragons were lame. Not only were they shit at their jobs, one of them completely checks out until WotLK. The whole taking humanoid forms thing felt a bit kiddie to me too.

Quote Originally Posted by OokOok View Post
    Nobody said Dragon lore is boring, you're just wording shit poorly so it fits your moronic narrative in this thread.

There's a difference between something being boring....like...the jailer? and something just being overused. The Legion and Dragons have had lore in Vanilla/TBC/WOTLK/Cata/Wod/Legion
    Aggressive much?

OP is right though. There is a lot of distaste for Dragons in the forums lately. I agree personally. I just have to hope that they have some creative thing in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    And we will still stomp them as nothing as we always do.

Still quite bored of dragons to be honest also gw 2 just had a dragon expansion.
    That could be a valid complaint. Although to be fair Blizz is always late on a trend but, in the end, does the trend better than everyone else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tarba View Post
    Sounds pretty generic and boring. Look at that new random overpowered threat !
    But its NOT a new random threat. The entire plotline of the evil dragons was to create the chromatic dragonflight. They kept failing. But the idea here is that there has finally been a success at creating a chromatic dragon. It wraps up the story line going back to WoW Vanilla.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    That could be a valid complaint. Although to be fair Blizz is always late on a trend but, in the end, does the trend better than everyone else.

- - - Updated - - -

But its NOT a new random threat. The entire plotline of the evil dragons was to create the chromatic dragonflight. They kept failing. But the idea here is that there has finally been a success at creating a chromatic dragon. It wraps up the story line going back to WoW Vanilla.
    Yep. "Look at that new random overpowered threat."
    Shadowland brought overpowered blue guy threat being the source of the lich king. We now have overpowered dragon threat, being the expérimental success of vanilla dragons failures.

Boring as fuck.

1+ Year Old Account
    I understand the sentiment but disagree with it. The appeal of dragons to me is that they feel like they belong in WoW.

What's boring is the repeat attempts to expand the scope of the WoW universe with more half-baked garbage. Spend more effort adding depth and playing with the already massive scope that's available.

Chromatus was cut in cata and made to be Ultraxion.

The jailer wanted to quite literally rewrite reality itself (whatever that even means.)
    How would a dragon compare, are they going to breathe fire or something?

I mean the character design of dragons are more or less infinitely better than the Jailer could ever
    hope to be but..
    It`s just not that compelling apart from their visual representation, but then again
    that can be said about any hero/villain really.