Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ...
8
9
10
11
12
... LastLast
  1. #181
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    Generally harder for a white person to fully understand the experiences and nuances of people of non-white backgrounds
    that's kinda racist, but ok

  2. #182
    shareholders seem to be annoyed, too; blizz stock dropped by about 1%

  3. #183
    It's really going downhill for this company

  4. #184
    Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    In America, prejudice against white people is normalised more and more every single year, and Americans want to export this culture to Europe aswell.
    Is not about prejudice against white people, is about pushing a political agenda through identity politics. Race is actually irrelevant, is just a matter of being able to divide people into subgroups based on arbitrary criteria as a way to control them through hate against other subgroups that are usually presented as the villains of their cause. This ends up with societies going to the extremes and losing chances to meet on any reasonable common ground.
    Europe has this too, bus since race doesn't work as well as it does in America, we mostly have the gender and sex criteria. America just happens to have another exploitable layer of arbitrary criteria heavily influenced by their history.
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

  5. #185
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    I asked for an example where the net was too narrow. That is not an example of this. I think education is a FAR better place to start - start asking why certain groups are not interested in certain fields, and work to encourage them to pursue a career in that field.
    Exactly. If I advertise for an engineer and 90% of applications are men, that's not a recruitment problem. In fact, it's arguably not even a problem at all. 90% of nurses are women, not because of some systemic 'problem', but because guys just aren't all that into it.

    It's a mistake to think that every workplace ought to be a perfect microcosm of society. To attempt to do that is to force something artificial.

  6. #186
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    ...why do you keep arguing as if there's some unknown white guy sitting on the sidelines bummed out he didn't get a job he never applied for?
    Exact same reason others argue there are poc sitting on their couch crying because the didn't get a job because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I like WillE just as much as the next guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    i have several gay friends at work, and i know at least 6 other gay people

  7. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    Maybe hire good devs that actually make a effort in making a good product.
    All these pointless positions only cost money and add nothing to the games that they make….
    No but it makes a better workplace for those that work there, and a better work places means increased chance to hire "good" devs.

  8. #188
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Exact same reason others argue there are poc sitting on their couch crying because the didn't get a job because they are not white.
    But that's not really what was said. The people not getting the job right now aren't getting it because they don't know the job exists or that they're potentially qualified for it. Blizzard isn't disqualifying white guys, they're just making sure more diverse groups of people are aware that jobs at their company exist. The net result may be the same: A bunch of white dudes working at Blizzard; but at least Blizzard is trying to get the word out there. And no, it's not in the name of virtue signaling or anything else. It's just hiring practices. The politicization of this has been heavily due to people reading (either deliberately or out of ignorance) the wrong message from what Blizzard is attempting to achieve.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2022-04-12 at 08:51 AM.

  9. #189
    Maybe it's because we've seen how it works in other companies with a cushy HQ in San Fran, and we don't want ActiBlizz being run by a room full of obtuse lesbian wine aunts like Marvel Comics.

  10. #190
    Legendary! Lord Pebbleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pebbleton Family Castle.
    Posts
    6,051
    Diversity has no place in determining if one is fit for a role. Only skill and experience should do that.

  11. #191
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Exactly. If I advertise for an engineer and 90% of applications are men, that's not a recruitment problem. In fact, it's arguably not even a problem at all. 90% of nurses are women, not because of some systemic 'problem', but because guys just aren't all that into it.

    It's a mistake to think that every workplace ought to be a perfect microcosm of society. To attempt to do that is to force something artificial.
    Blizzard is a company with thousands of employees whose job descriptions are far more diverse than what a nurse would typically do. (And even then, the societal stigma against male nurses has been eroding over time as well.) A perfect microcosm isn't being forced. They've made commitments not quotas. But even said, they are at least trying to ensure there are people on the team whose diverse cultural backgrounds may help better develop the game for the diverse group of players in the game.

    I don't get why this has a tendency to immediately devolve into bickering over perceived identity politics. It's mostly PR but it doesn't have any measurable downsides and can potentially reap massive rewards by allowing the games Blizzard develops to have the widest potential audience possible.

  12. #192
    Just hire the best person for the job. Reading this post just made me sad.

  13. #193
    Immortal FuxieDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    København
    Posts
    7,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    Generally harder for a white person to fully understand the experiences and nuances of people of non-white backgrounds
    Except, it MANY countries, the racism from colored towards white is greater than white towards colored.

    Only, white people are not "allowed" to say, they experience racism.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > BfA > WoD = WotLK

    My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

  14. #194
    Maybe she can teach them how not to molest their female workers.
    Either way, doesn't matter to me as long as they actually make games. I think people in these comments seriously overestimate the power and influence something like this has, don't mald over what basically amounts to someone making sure women and minorities aren't completely pushed out of the game development scene. White dudes are still being hired and will still be the majority.

  15. #195
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    But that's not really what was said. The people not getting the job right now aren't getting it because they don't know the job exists or that they're potentially qualified for it. Blizzard isn't disqualifying white guys, they're just making sure more diverse groups of people are aware that jobs at their company exist. The net result may be the same: A bunch of white dudes working at Blizzard; but at least Blizzard is trying to get the word out there. And no, it's not in the name of virtue signaling or anything else. It's just hiring practices. The politicization of this has been heavily due to people reading (either deliberately or out of ignorance) the wrong message from what Blizzard is attempting to achieve.
    This is possibly the worst excuse i've ever heard.

    If you dont know what you are qualified for and arent good enough to look for actual jobs - and at the same time if you are preferebly non white/male/straight - Blizzard will now help you get over your own inadequacies???

    Why would a bunch of white dudes know the job exists but not a bunch of black ladies?

  16. #196
    What a useless position.

  17. #197
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    31,997
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    Diversity has no place in determining if one is fit for a role. Only skill and experience should do that.
    Exactly how does that apply to entry-level positions which are an excellent place to start walking the walk instead of endlessly talking the talk.
    "Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game" — Soren Johnson (Civilization III/IV designer)

  18. #198
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugho View Post
    Isn't this getting out of hand? In a few years, non white people and females will have identity crisis because they don't know if they got where they got because of talent or gender / color. White people with talent will blame them and that will generate even more racism.

    - So, she was the best one for the job?
    - No sir, there was 3 more qualified people but they were Caucasian males.
    - Ok! Good job then.

    Imagine this conversation 20 years ago.
    This is the problem with all this diversity BS. Unfortunately for you, me and many others is that society just isn't there yet to understand this. We were born 100 years too early. RIP. There is a reason why the world is going downhill so fast. Hire because of gender/color correlates strongly with the downwards trend of the state of the world.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Exactly how does that apply to entry-level positions which are an excellent place to start walking the walk instead of endlessly talking the talk.
    Education/school performance/certificats/etc? Like it always used to go?

  19. #199
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRainingMetal View Post
    It's really going downhill for this company
    Ah, yes.. because a company trying to make an equal space and equality for their staff members is so bad

    Seriously. Why MMO-champ chooses to enable comments on posts like these doesn’t nothing but expose the 4chan members here.

  20. #200
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    Diversity has no place in determining if one is fit for a role. Only skill and experience should do that.
    you're right but also diversity brings it's own set of experience. let's use the analogy of a survey; if you're conducting a survey over the phone and you want to get as close to an accurate portrayal of the community at large then you will want to interview many different age groups, ethnic groups etc to get a wide variety of viewpoints. Now bring that to Blizz (and other companies for that matter); they want a diverse workplace culture because it will lead to a wider range of ideas for their games as opposed to only hiring males between the ages of 21 and 30 would bring

    also people keep bringing up that more qualified people are missing out because of this sort of stuff. that is impossible to actually know for sure and is pure speculation. it's not like so called diversity hires are being hired with zero experience (aside the ones hired straight out of college) they have experience at other companies before joining Blizzard.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •