Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

So... What do people actually want out of the game?

I would like to start this post by making it clear that under no circumstance am I saying "EVERYONE is saying X" - But that it simply feels like "a MAJORITY is saying X" <- Based of comments, threads, posts, chats, talks, messages and replies left behind / posted here on MMO-C, on the official Forums, Facebook Groups, Reddit, Discord servers and sometimes even in-game on the rare occasion at which I have spoke to people.

What does people actually want out of this game? After the announcement of Dragonflight: I have seen near nothing but complaints but the complaints is all geared toward aspects that Dragonflight seems to be "Doing right"

"I am sick of this otherworldly BS that is Shadowlands, can we just have a grounded expansion on Azeroth next" - We get that now, but suddenly it's wrong because it's on The Dragon Isles? I am no lore expert but what places besides Tel'Abim and Dragon Isles is there even left on Azeroth to see? I can't imagine people being any more happy if Blizzard just pulled a new zone / continent out of thin air... So why is it "so bad" when we finally get what people have been asking for? An expansion that does not send us to another plane of existence.

"I am so sick of borrowed power! Can it just go die!" - It's been confirmed that there will be no Borrowed power systems in Dragonflight but the its suddenly bad that there is no massive system announced like we got for Artifacts, Azerite and the Covenants? Anything that isn't "Borrowed Power" is clearly not going to be a big thing and yeah while I get that it's a bit "odd" that we do not know what the central "stick" of Dragonflight will be yet, there is just such an overwhelming about of moaning about this, making it seem like people would rather have Borrowed Power than an expansion without a massive carrot.

"Why can't we just get a new race / class already" - We got both. And yes, yes - I do agree that the restriction is kind of stupid (I do hope that come 11.0 - The Dracthyr have learned some of our class skills and they have learned us the arts of being an Evoker) But the sheer amount of complaints now makes it seem like people would suddenly rather have NOTHING instead of what we did get. How is that... Why is that? Isn't his better than nothing? I get that this isn't "Ogre Tinker" which seems like it's a lot of people's wet dream - But surely this is better than nothing?

"I swear to god, if they do Pathfinder one more time I will snap." - They ain't doing that, and now that is wrong too? I get that the Dragon Riding system is new and scary, but at the end of the day you will get to fly from A to B without the same amount of fuzz that comes with the Pathfinder system. And yeah I have seen all the "THEY ARE JUST RIPPING OFF GW2" comments but honestly... Isn't that BETTER than the current "Swimming in the air" that is the current flight system? From the looks alone I hope Dragon Riding is perfected to the point where it becomes the norm for all flying mounts come 11.0

There are other complaints too like: "Why only 4 zones" which seems to ignore that they mentioned how these zones will be massive compared to older ones. People moaning over the new profession stuff after having cried for years for Blizzard to make professions more relevant, which they now are trying to do. "Why can't we just get player housing, FFXIV does it so why can't WoW" which completely ignores how the games is catering to completely different audiences, if you want player housing so bad, why are you not playing FF instead? "Why is the Sword still in Silithus?" I mean, we DID remove the corruption from it, it's not currently KILLING the planet anymore... And what would we do? Ask Khagdar to try and disenchant it? I doubt any of us have a titan on speed-dial that can come and pull it out. What I have seen the least amount of complaints about is the Talent system but even that there has been people whining over.

I fully understand that WoW is a far cry from what it once was, I get that. But why is it that when Blizzard does X and X is done in the way the community seemingly have been asking for it to be for years: They still get crap... What do you people actually wan to be happy? I am just so confused...
    Personally, if Dragonflight can get the same patch cycle that Legion did - I can see myself enjoying it just fine. Will it be phenomenal? Most likely not, I doubt we will get another "solid" expansion until whatever 12.0 ends up being, but does Dragonflight look like a step in the right direction? I'd say so.
    Last edited by Rexxgrim; 2022-04-22 at 08:44 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Here is the paradigm:

"I am sick of X, I want Y"
    "Here is Y"
    "Not that Y"

And there you go.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    Here is the paradigm:

"I am sick of X, I want Y"
    "Here is Y"
    "Not that Y"

And there you go.
    I'm sick of casuals - who are not casuals - but freeriders.

I'm sick of this entitled community.

I'm sick of waiting for DF.

I'm really sick of my WoW addiction as well.
    And my Blizzard whiteknight mentally starts to tax me. We need younger people to take over or i'm sick of it.

It's very simple. Different people want differemt things.
    At every point in time ever since WoW was announced some people have complained about something.
    No matter what happens, someone will always complain.

I personally find most of the stuff to be good at least in theory .. remains to be seen how they turn out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Casual progression over the full course of an expansion without high-level M+ or raiding. It could be gear especially suited to playing in the world or a feature like Torghast but I would like to know that any time I log on for an hour or so I will come out the other side just a little better than when I went in. Note that I didn't necessarily demand mythic gear but it wouldn't hurt anyone that with enough time and play you could get very close to it in terms of ilevel/power.

Another thing is to make professions much deeper and relevant (especially to the character with the profession). Make the recipes complicated and take weeks to build a couple of excellent pieces. Make me go out into the world to collect materials. I just want something useful to do that may add to the progression I wrote about in the first paragraph.

The last thing would be to set up content that can be run with friends, especially if you have less than five of them in game at the moment. I will play solo if necessary but I prefer to play with friends. I no longer want anything to do with strangers whom I would likely never see again. That's not how social play works. In fact, it's the opposite of social.

That's my list.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2022-04-22 at 08:41 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Most people seem pretty pleased with Dragonflight. As you said, no one is going to be completely okay with every expansion. We are a fan base with competing interests. But at this point, I don't think the overly negative fans represent anything other than some random noise on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauredfangs View Post
    I want something similar to my idea: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-Faction-Goals
    And why is it good for me?

Quote Originally Posted by HansOlo View Post
    And why is it good for me?
    it's creating content for world and community
    Ideas:
    Self Adventuring
    PVP Public Events
    "Steal the shit out of my ideas"

Quote Originally Posted by Rexxgrim View Post
    I would like to start this post by making it clear that under no circumstance am I saying "EVERYONE is saying X" - But that it simply feels like "a MAJORITY is saying X" <- Based of comments, threads, posts, chats, talks, messages and replies left behind / posted here on MMO-C, on the official Forums, Facebook Groups, Reddit, Discord servers and sometimes even in-game on the rare occasion at which I have spoke to people.

What does people actually want out of this game? After the announcement of Dragonflight: I have seen near nothing but complaints but the complaints is all geared toward aspects that Dragonflight seems to be "Doing right"

"I am sick of this otherworldly BS that is Shadowlands, can we just have a grounded expansion on Azeroth next" - We get that now, but suddenly it's wrong because it's on The Dragon Isles? I am no lore expert but what places besides Tel'Abim and Dragon Isles is there even left on Azeroth to see? I can't imagine people being any more happy if Blizzard just pulled a new zone / continent out of thin air... So why is it "so bad" when we finally get what people have been asking for? An expansion that does not send us to another plane of existence.

"I am so sick of borrowed power! Can it just go die!" - It's been confirmed that there will be no Borrowed power systems in Dragonflight but the its suddenly bad that there is no massive system announced like we got for Artifacts, Azerite and the Covenants? Anything that isn't "Borrowed Power" is clearly not going to be a big thing and yeah while I get that it's a bit "odd" that we do not know what the central "stick" of Dragonflight will be yet, there is just such an overwhelming about of moaning about this, making it seem like people would rather have Borrowed Power than an expansion without a massive carrot.

"Why can't we just get a new race / class already" - We got both. And yes, yes - I do agree that the restriction is kind of stupid (I do hope that come 11.0 - The Dracthyr have learned some of our class skills and they have learned us the arts of being an Evoker) But the sheer amount of complaints now makes it seem like people would suddenly rather have NOTHING instead of what we did get. How is that... Why is that? Isn't his better than nothing? I get that this isn't "Ogre Tinker" which seems like it's a lot of people's wet dream - But surely this is better than nothing?

"I swear to god, if they do Pathfinder one more time I will snap." - They ain't doing that, and now that is wrong too? I get that the Dragon Riding system is new and scary, but at the end of the day you will get to fly from A to B without the same amount of fuzz that comes with the Pathfinder system. And yeah I have seen all the "THEY ARE JUST RIPPING OFF GW2" comments but honestly... Isn't that BETTER than the current "Swimming in the air" that is the current flight system? From the looks alone I hope Dragon Riding is perfected to the point where it becomes the norm for all flying mounts come 11.0

There are other complaints too like: "Why only 4 zones" which seems to ignore that they mentioned how these zones will be massive compared to older ones. People moaning over the new profession stuff after having cried for years for Blizzard to make professions more relevant, which they now are trying to do. "Why can't we just get player housing, FFXIV does it so why can't WoW" which completely ignores how the games is catering to completely different audiences, if you want player housing so bad, why are you not playing FF instead? "Why is the Sword still in Silithus?" I mean, we DID remove the corruption from it, it's not currently KILLING the planet anymore... And what would we do? Ask Khagdar to try and disenchant it? I doubt any of us have a titan on speed-dial that can come and pull it out. What I have seen the least amount of complaints about is the Talent system but even that there has been people whining over.

I fully understand that WoW is a far cry from what it once was, I get that. But why is it that when Blizzard does X and X is done in the way the community seemingly have been asking for it to be for years: They still get crap... What do you people actually wan to be happy? I am just so confused...
    Personally, if Dragonflight can get the same patch cycle that Legion did - I can see myself enjoying it just fine. Will it be phenomenal? Most likely not, I doubt we will get another "solid" expansion until whatever 12.0 ends up being, but does Dragonflight look like a step in the right direction? I'd say so.
    Out of your whole list all I hate is evoker.
    The model sucks, the Visage sucks, the concept sucks.
    Total asspull. I'd just as soon not get a new class.

An M+ system that is less dependent on keystones and trash being bolstered to crazy levels to create challenge. The bosses should be the primary challenge in tough dungeons rather than the trash and less of it in them.

it's creating content for world and community
    Why can't I just play HoTS?

Why can't I just play HoTS?
    go ahead. There are similarities for many games, game designers just have to make a good chemistry of ideas, I think this one works. Idk
    Ideas:
    Self Adventuring
    PVP Public Events
    "Steal the shit out of my ideas"

I just want better growth potions, but that is extremely niche so I'll include some of the less esoteric stuff on my wish list as well.

--Flying at level cap
    --Plenty of open world and solo content
    --Player Housing
    --Player Housing
    --Player Housing

go ahead. There are similarities for many games, game designers just have to make a good chemistry of ideas, I think this one works. Idk
    I'm just trying to make a point on what I hate about this game - nothing personal. I think it's very distractive when people are coming up with the next good idea.

I would prefer feedback on what works and what doesn't. And Blizz finally seem to listen - it's thier own fault so far, and it gave space to people invent good ideas on behalf.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabear View Post
    I just want better growth potions, but that is extremely niche so I'll include some of the less esoteric stuff on my wish list as well.

--Flying at level cap
    --Plenty of open world and solo content
    --Player Housing
    --Player Housing
    --Player Housing
    What is player housing?

Are you even old enough to know what player housing is in a MMO? What game did you try, that you can relate and translate into WoW?
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2022-04-22 at 09:05 PM.

What is player housing?

Are you even old enough to know what player housing is in a MMO? What game did you try, that you can relate and translate into WoW?
    I've tried ESO and FFXIV primarily, and a litany of other titles with lesser versions of housing. But I wouldn't suggest any of those iterations would be a perfect fit for WoW either.

As to why I want it, because it is part of the fantasy of living in an MMO world. It enhances content by adding an entirely new rewards stream. It provides an entirely new vector for self-expression. Housing is also good because it provides something to do between expansions.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexxgrim View Post
    Not particularly confusing. People want Blizz to put serious effort into the game again.

What you've created is a strawman argument. You have picked out a couple of arguments and are knocking those couple down...but the root of the problem is that Blizz has been cheap with content.

Sure, if they put half-decent effort into the game (like Legion), that would make people happier...but you need to recognize that fact; that even Legion was only a fair bit more effort than WoD or the last couple...it was still a far cry from the effort Blizz gave us in BC and Wrath and even Cata.

We should be seeing at least 16 dungeons every expansion...heck, probably 20+ dungeons by now. It is absolutely easier for them to create content now, not harder.

We should be seeing at least 8 raids every expansion...heck, probably 10+ raids by now. Again, it is absolutely easier for them to create content now, not harder.

Blizz gave us two new races in BC. New class in Wrath. Two new races in Cata. New race and new class in MoP. Since then...Garrison (aka World of Clickcraft) that was a very pale shadow of housing (was supposed to be actual housing) and temporary powers. Pathfinder was BS that they made up because they got too lazy to build WoD to account for flying...and they've leveraged that lazy tactic ever since. Dragonriding is just a ground mount with goblin glider embedded...again, too lazy to build the zones to account for actual flying...and if it eventually leads to actual flying, then it is functionally the same system as Pathfinder (i.e. an excuse to be lazy and provide the final build of the zones later in the expansion).

It's mostly about what kind of enviroment this forum offers, I think.

There is a group of people who has quit the game long ago and just comes here to complain about "kids these days".
    There is a group of people who have learned yet/will never learn what constructive criticism is, so they just scream insults at the devs because they are frustrated that they aren't having fun
    There is a group of cultists who come here to preach the word of their favourite streamer (who just happen to make a lot of money by feeding negative emotions)
    And there is a group of people who are mostly here to fight those people.

All of that makes for a really toxic enviroment to discuss anything you like.

So the only other reason to come here as a player who is generally happy with the game is to bitch about one aspect you don't.

(lots of exceptions to this "rule" of course, but it's the general atmosphere that counts, not the occasional smart, positive post that exists too).
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabear View Post
    I've tried ESO and FFXIV primarily, and a litany of other titles with lesser versions of housing. But I wouldn't suggest any of those iterations would be a perfect fit for WoW either.

As to why I want it, because it is part of the fantasy of living in an MMO world. It enhances content by adding an entirely new rewards stream. It provides an entirely new vector for self-expression. Housing is also good because it provides something to do between expansions.
    Unless you have apparments in Orgrimmar - I can only see it would be another WoD garrison(which was cool - but we kinda realized, this style of segmentation wasn't the game for it).

I still remember my impression from WoD - even if they made it more customizible, it wouldn't had done that much for me.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2022-04-22 at 09:25 PM.

I want them to use hindsight and make the game better.

They aren't using LFG in WotLK Classic. I want them to finish WotLK Classic and then do entirely new expansions from that point on in a Classic+ style. Forget Cata, MoP, etc. etc. etc. --- Make it interference from the Infinite Dragonflight. Give us Ogres, and all the things people have been asking for that make sense lore-wise for years. Don't waste Azshara and N'zoth in single patches, but flesh them out for entire expansions.

This is a pipe dream, but it's what I would want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelthon
    do i wanting my cat come the expansion due to signifying a reroll fresh scratch the night elf mage?